Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
GAH. Look I don't mean to be an ******* here but all these questions have been asked and answered many times over. Can no one use the damn search. Do we have to have a new thread every time?

PS: welcome to the forums. Sorry for the rant, but seriously just do a couple of basic searches and I guarantee you will find the answers.

If a person is new to a forum, I can understand a first post, since no appreciation for available information.

I did warn the forum weeks ago that posts will explode. N900 is still constrained in supply, so just wait a month or so.

1. Where's portrait?
2. Where's the apps?
3. My phone stopped working when I installed an app from Billy Bud's app repository.
4. Where's the EQ?
5. My videos will not work
6. Where's the MMS?
7. My USB connector broke
8. Why does the phone signal keep dancing?
10. Where's Quake 3?
11. Why don't people answer my post?
12. My battery does not last as long as my last "phone"

I could go on, but will be repeating the posts that will be coming- Wicked This Way Comes

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
thanks for all the answers. so it has ovi maps, but are the maps for north america built in? so I don't need a data connection for gps maps.

Last edited by Gabe; 2009-12-03 at 18:53.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I recently got a htc GSM hero, is nice. I'm thinking about the N900 though. While the hero can multitask, the way the N900 does multitasking is superior,
I'll give a few comments as I have the same phone than you (HTC Hero). I don't have the N900 but I have the N810 and I've been reading the forums a lot, so I think I've heard about most of the good and bad things of the N900 by now.

Other people have replied to other questions of yours so I won't bother (by the way, Hulu does not work, that's my understanding) , but as a fellow Android-user, the one thing you didn't ask about but what I consider the most important thing to think about, is to consider the Google aspect of Android: how much do you use Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Maps? I think it's perhaps easy to take the Gmail/Calendar etc. thing for granted after using Android for a bit, it seems so natural that it all "just works", so just think about how much (if anything) that means to you first. If Google Calendar and Gmail are NOT important to you, I would say you're much more likely to enjoy switching to the N900. If they're vital to you and you assume the N900 will offer the same level of integration...well...no, it does't. Search up threads about Google Calendar and gmail. For example, I use five Google Calendars at the same time...that just simply is not supported on the N900. Just an example.

But if you can live without the appstore and with less-than perfect gmail and google calendar, go for it! (and post about your experiences comparing it to Hero later on, please)

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
I'll give a few comments as I have the same phone than you (HTC Hero). I don't have the N900 but I have the N810 and I've been reading the forums a lot, so I think I've heard about most of the good and bad things of the N900 by now.

Other people have replied to other questions of yours so I won't bother (by the way, Hulu does not work, that's my understanding) , but as a fellow Android-user, the one thing you didn't ask about but what I consider the most important thing to think about, is to consider the Google aspect of Android: how much do you use Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Maps? I think it's perhaps easy to take the Gmail/Calendar etc. thing for granted after using Android for a bit, it seems so natural that it all "just works", so just think about how much (if anything) that means to you first. If Google Calendar and Gmail are NOT important to you, I would say you're much more likely to enjoy switching to the N900. If they're vital to you and you assume the N900 will offer the same level of integration...well...no, it does't. Search up threads about Google Calendar and gmail. For example, I use five Google Calendars at the same time...that just simply is not supported on the N900. Just an example.

But if you can live without the appstore and with less-than perfect gmail and google calendar, go for it! (and post about your experiences comparing it to Hero later on, please)

Hope this helps.
thanks for the input. If thats true about hulu, what a bummer. I wonder what other flash sites don't work.

I don't use the gmail app or the google calender. I have my gmail account set up in the mail app, along with other email accounts. and the calender was a feature I was planning to use in the future when my life is more busy. The main reason I got the hero is for multitasking. Which is why I mentioned the pre, because that also does multitasking if not better than the hero, with the cards and all.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
GAH. Look I don't mean to be an ******* here but all these questions have been asked and answered many times over. Can no one use the damn search. Do we have to have a new thread every time?

PS: welcome to the forums. Sorry for the rant, but seriously just do a couple of basic searches and I guarantee you will find the answers.
Instead of ranting, experienced N900 users could take the time to clean up and expand the N900 FAQ on the wiki:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions#N900

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Instead of ranting, experienced N900 users could take the time to clean up and expand the N900 FAQ on the wiki:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions#N900
Suggesting of course that people would bother to read that before posting a new thread. But point taken I will see what I can do
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
thanks for all the answers. so it has ovi maps, but are the maps for north america built in? so I don't need a data connection for gps maps.
fyi. ovi maps sucks big time. POI information is not up to date, horribly lags, even the street detail is pretty crappy. so compared to google maps it is atrocious.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Suggesting of course that people would bother to read that before posting a new thread. But point taken I will see what I can do
True enough. But if a better FAQ existed it could be made a prominent link on the Talk pages (or even on the top navigation bar). I know that when I first came here having replaced my Palm with an N810, it was very difficult to find definitive answers to many questions. Searches returned hundreds of posts, some of which disagreed with each other, some of which applied to other devices or operating systems, and many of which were filled with the arcane language of Linux programmers.

If we can divert some of the new N900 users to a structured environment, I won't have to scan through 10+ pages of New Posts every time I log on.

Unfortunately, new users will be new users and with the Googlifcation of society, some will certainly end up here before they even open the manual.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
some will certainly end up here before they even open the manual.
That is, if there is a manual. My N810 had no paper manual.

I expect a fair amount of people to Google before they check included CDs or Nokia pages. After all, it works better.

On topic: we REALLY, REALLY, REALLY are going to need a Maemo for Android Owners thread/FAQ. It'll be in Maemo's best interest, not only the Android users.

Some editions did some with Regional maps copied to the local flash. But apparent no the North Amerian version. But it's my understanding that you can download regional maps and operating sans network access. I don't have any 3G service where I'm at. But Ovi Maps does works fairly well even over EDGE connections.