Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm surprised that you've not asked these questions to them directly - IndieGoGo allows that type of interaction once signed in.

I think we'd all benefit from those types of questions, bluefoot.
It's patently obvious they want to avoid any discussion of or answering any questions about certain topics. This combined with their design decisions and general direction of the project mean my interest in it is as a potential buyer or consumer is less than zero at this point. If you feel like you need answers from the horse's mouth, by all means link them to my post.

Even their Twitter is pretty much dead silent today. I'm sure they realised they had problems prior to yesterday, but they probably now know that any chance of success, given the total lack of interest shown in the first 24 hours is just a dream. I expect, inwardly, they've already given up.

P.S. You can't comment on their page unless you're a contributor. Some campaigns allow non-contributors to comment. They don't.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-11-04 at 18:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
i ask to alejandro from indiegogo what CPU and other components it will use. otherwise i will ask for a refund before campaign ends

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Worst of all, they claim to have designed a sustainable, modular, upgradeable device ... and yet they not only don't have a removable battery, they don't even have a replaceable battery! This is beyond appalling. The (3) / 'Heart' module clearly has a lot more than just the battery in terms of electronics, given its size relative to the reasonably small 2800mAh capacity.
Er, what? If I'm reading it right, all the components you need for a smartphone are in sections 1 (brain) and 2 (spine) -- the processors, the radios, the screen, _everything_. Section 3 (heart) contains the battery, plus "secondary electronics". I would assume this means that section three is a sort of combination battery plus TOH, allowing users to design their own hardware and plug it into section 3.

As such, I don't see why you couldn't have a section 3 that is all battery and nothing else (since you really don't need any electronics in section 3). Or, why couldn't you design a _modular_ section three, composed of a replaceable battery inside of a housing that fits into that slot?

Scratched camera lens? Oh, bad luck, you have to replace the SoC, RAM, solid state memory and main circuitry of the device, plus packaging. Sounds great.
And again, why couldn't you purchase a modular section 1, where separate components could be replaced separately? (I would imagine such a section one would be a lot more expensive than an all-in-one package, but I don't see why it couldn't be made...)

Anyway, I believe the value behind the puzzlephone is not "here, you've now got three parts that you can join or remove yourself", but rather "here, you've now got three parts that, if you want, any one of which could be individually replaced with something completely different without throwing away the other two". It's the customization, not the efficiency, that should be the selling point here.

But yeah, until they have more than just the default "brain", "spine", and "heart" available, that value probably won't be obvious...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
for first backers they will give a free heart module (battery + secondary electronic) for free. now, for the next limited hours, they are giving postage for free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Er, what? If I'm reading it right, all the components you need for a smartphone are in sections 1 (brain) and 2 (spine) -- the processors, the radios, the screen, _everything_. Section 3 (heart) contains the battery, plus "secondary electronics". I would assume this means that section three is a sort of combination battery plus TOH, allowing users to design their own hardware and plug it into section 3.

As such, I don't see why you couldn't have a section 3 that is all battery and nothing else (since you really don't need any electronics in section 3). Or, why couldn't you design a _modular_ section three, composed of a replaceable battery inside of a housing that fits into that slot?

And again, why couldn't you purchase a modular section 1, where separate components could be replaced separately? (I would imagine such a section one would be a lot more expensive than an all-in-one package, but I don't see why it couldn't be made...)

Anyway, I believe the value behind the puzzlephone is not "here, you've now got three parts that you can join or remove yourself", but rather "here, you've now got three parts that, if you want, any one of which could be individually replaced with something completely different without throwing away the other two". It's the customization, not the efficiency, that should be the selling point here.

But yeah, until they have more than just the default "brain", "spine", and "heart" available, that value probably won't be obvious...
Or just buy Fairphone 2, where afaik you can change parts quite easily and spare parts are promised for some years. Too me it seems more modular than puzzle phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
Or just buy Fairphone 2, where afaik you can change parts quite easily and spare parts are promised for some years. Too me it seems more modular than puzzle phone.
Yeah, and a Fairphone 2 running Sailfish sounds like an interesting proposition. But I'm still personally of the mind that mobile computing and cellphones should no longer mix. Better to stick to a dumb cellphone and a smart non-cellular mobile device (laptop or tablet)...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
update! they add microsd support in brain module for free.

PS: stay tuned for next week

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Puzzlephone just announced in Slush that their phone will have Sailfish!

Edit:
Its community edition, I wonder what does it mean precisely.
Community version of Sailfish OS in the PuzzlePhone

Last edited by eekkelund; 2015-11-12 at 14:59.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Puzzlephone just announced in Slush that their phone will have Sailfish!
http://www.puzzlephone.com/blog-read...s-integration/

Some more info

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
that's what i meant for stay tuned for next week =)

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: