Posts: 20 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Belgium
Hi,
my car (volvo v50) has a usb connector. With this connector, you can attach usb sticks and hard disks, to read music files from them.
This works fine for many devices, including my colleague's htc magic.
This device also just exports a vfat filesystem, and then in the car you can navigate through the directory structure and play songs.

However, with the n900 this doesn't work (obviously after selecting "mass storage mode" - with the htc you also need to confirm in a similar fashion)
I have no idea why the n900 would be any different, as it's also just a vfat filesystem over usb.

The problem happens with both with mine (3.2010.02-08) and another colleague who has a n900, running the more recent PR1.2

How can i make this work?
Thanks,
Dieter

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Just a guess but maybe your Volvo's stereos don't like the folders named .foldername @ root of the mass storage?

I don't have a sollution to offer though...

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Could also be because the n900 exposes 2 drives.

My Volvo V50 has no such connector :´(

How exactly does it not work? Does it go like "no music found", "no device found", "incompatible device" or is there any blue smoke?

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you connect a N900 to a PC for the first time in mass storage mode, it will map up TWO removable disks, right? One for the SD card, and one for the internal memory card. Maybe your Volvo opens the wrong one, or maybe it gets confused.

Edit: too late. What he said.

Indeed Aydan, what's up with that?
when I plug in the phone to my laptop, in dmesg I see I get a sdb and a sdc. Even though they have the same permissions, sdc cannot be opened (or listed) with fdisk. only sdb can. And because of this, only sdb can be mounted as fat filesystem. what is sdc? and can i get rid of it?

I will check the car manual to find out any limitations such as dotfiles/directories.
In the meanwhile, I wanted to share the (clean) output of an fsck:

Code:
dieter@dieter-dellD620-arch ~  sudo fsck -v /dev/sdb
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
dosfsck 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
dosfsck 3.0.9, 31 Jan 2010, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "Maemo"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
       512 bytes per logical sector
     65536 bytes per cluster
       126 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 64512 (sector 126)
         2 FATs, 32 bit entries
   1769984 bytes per FAT (= 3457 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 3604480 (sector 7040)
    442377 data clusters (28991619072 bytes)
32 sectors/track, 64 heads
         0 hidden sectors
  56631296 sectors total
Checking for unused clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/sdb: 4589 files, 226927/442377 clusters
dieter@dieter-dellD620-arch ~  echo $?
edit: wow, many posts at the same time
@Volt:
i have the "two devicefiles" every time i attach my n900 to my pc, not just the first time.
the usb connector is an option. I'll write down the exact error message this evening.

Last edited by dieter_be; 2010-06-30 at 12:37.

another difference with the htc magic: my colleague tells me the magic exports 1 blockdevice, but it has a partition table containing 3 partitions.

So, what I am guessing is that the car stereo simply connects to the first drive. One possible solution could be to make a symlink from the first drive to the one containing your music.

The internal memory is 32 GB - I am guessing that is what you're looking at with your 28991619072 bytes. Do you keep your music on the SD card?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by volt View Post
One possible solution could be to make a symlink from the first drive to the one containing your music.
Nope - it's FAT32 so no symlinks.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Maybe editing /usr/sbin/usb-mass-storage-enable.sh and changing it so that only exports one LUN may work.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Same issue with my car stereo - My n900 will give me an error message saying that it can't connect in mass storage mode because usb is already in use.

I just gave up and starting listening over bluetooth.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.