It's for 100% unable to do this interface on n810 with appropriate speed. So much alpha blending will eat cpu power like a hippo, as i think.
It occured to me, that alpha blending might lower performance.
However, by design the toolbars were meant to be hidden when
you don't use them (toggled by the back button, for example).
One could also switch to non-transparent buttons whenever the
canvas is moved on the screen.

I saw a youtube of gimp on a n800, it works fine as far as the paintbrush goes. I think it was vecktor drawing not sure.
I just watched that. To quote the author:
actually gimp for the N800 not a good idea...
Gimp's problem seems to be, that it is too feature rich and has too
many dependencies .. that wouldn't matter if it were modular enough.
Is there someone here who can judge that? I skipped through the
blog of one of the Gimp developers, he mentioned his interest in
maemo. I might ask him for some advice.

There used to be a program called Horizon (that was Gimp-based AFAIK) for the 770. I don't think anyone ported it forward but it was a pretty functional graphical editor with an "infinte" canvas.
Hard to judge it by the single screenshot
I will try compiling it on os2008, maybe I'll get it to work.

Last edited by bayowar; 2008-03-16 at 17:34.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I would guess you're familiar with the Wacom Cintiq products? These are tools for photographers, designers, etc to draw directly on an LCD using touch sensitive pens? If not, you should look into them if you like working this way. These are tablet PCs so not open source, they're big, bulky, etc. But as hardware gets faster, smaller this may approach Nokia Tablet size.
Not really. Partly they are not tablet PCS, in fact they are not computers at all, they are combined monitors/graphics tablets, so they are an interface to your mac or PC or whatever, and partly they won't get smaller, as the size is the bonus, that is why the 20" one costs over double what the 15" costs!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
There used to be a program called Horizon (that was Gimp-based AFAIK) for the 770. I don't think anyone ported it forward but it was a pretty functional graphical editor with an "infinte" canvas.
It was quite cool, but as Karel says - a bit freaky.

It wasn't based on Gimp in any way, AIUI.

Horizon for chinook
Nice app (Reminds me of a strange drawing app on Opie and Zaurus "Petitepeinture" qt-based..) Crashes on exit though.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Well, I've come to some idea. Though actual graphic edit is not serious on the Tablet, but ->Photo<- editing (RAW import, correction, preview) is much more realistic and appreciated. In fact, with USB Host and much space to handle, Tablet can be transformed into great photobank with absolutely no competitors. Just a thought

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
Graphic edit is not serious on the tablet.
for you only I'm assuming?

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Well, I've come to some idea. Though actual graphic edit is not serious on the Tablet, but ->Photo<- editing (RAW import, correction, preview) is much more realistic and appreciated. In fact, with USB Host and much space to handle, Tablet can be transformed into great photobank with absolutely no competitors. Just a thought

What about a InDesign kind of editing program? That would be very, very neat. Especially with a touchscreen, it would be quite usable, if it could work anyways...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Alright, who's going to implement this badass shtick in Clutter?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by bayowar View Post
Now, I know that no one will ever get a full GIMP or, God help us, even Photoshop on a tablet in the near future...
Well, since Gimp runs OK on the current tablet, I'm willing to bet it will run very nicely on the new device. The question then will be skinning Gimp (via GTK?) to look like the first post...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The Gimp editing a 4 megapixel digital photo:

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: