Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
It's what I usually liked to do with my daily machines, so if your team would ever need more workers, then please contact me.
BTW, where is your work located? Is it remote or local in office?
I work most days in office in Finland, Espoo and maybe one day a week remote from home. The company is called Nokia

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The company is called Nokia
should I know them? Who are they?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
I read that Nokia closed it's R&D center in Finland and moved it to China(like Factories previously). So I'm quiet surspised.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
I read that Nokia closed it's R&D center in Finland and moved it to China(like Factories previously). So I'm quiet surspised.
You must be thinking of Nokia Mobile Phones which indeed does not exist any longer, it was sold off to Microsoft a few years back and eventually discontinued.

The parent company "Nokia" still exists, employing something around 60000 people around the world, about 10% of that in Finland. In Europe we are among the top software houses as far as I know.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
You Guys have any Idea of Microsoft releasing the closed drivers for Maemo, and the N900 in particular ? Or should we have to open an online petition or something like that ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
You Guys have any Idea of Microsoft releasing the closed drivers for Maemo, and the N900 in particular ? Or should we have to open an online petition or something like that ?
No, won't happen. AFAIK Microsoft did not get Maemo rights, only featurephones/symbian/lumia. The rest of the things got stashed to Nokia Technologies which is the department handling patents and licensing.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No, won't happen. AFAIK Microsoft did not get Maemo rights, only featurephones/symbian/lumia. The rest of the things got stashed to Nokia Technologies which is the department handling patents and licensing.
Well, it's been about 8 to 9 years that the n900 has been released, we should do an action or something like that so that Nokia releases the closed drivers, at least for the N900...
The phone is still good and should be updated with the latest softwares...

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
...closed drivers, at least for the N900...
please, stop that.

https://elinux.org/N900

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
please, stop that.

https://elinux.org/N900
TIL. But I have to ask; beyond the PowerVR stuff, this means that it's largely open now? Flash that, you have a fully functioning device?

Please forgive my ignorance. Just found out about this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
TIL. But I have to ask; beyond the PowerVR stuff, this means that it's largely open now? Flash that, you have a fully functioning device?

Please forgive my ignorance. Just found out about this.
The only closed parts are PowerVR drivers, Wi-Fi firmware and Bluetooth firmware. The closed firmwares will work with recent mainline kernels. PowerVR is working with patches which are unlikely to ever be accepted upstream.

It really depends on what you expect from a fully functioning device. If you expect to be able to run a Linux distro for the desktop, that will mostly work. If you expect to have something like Fremantle with everything integrated, where everything works like phone calls, etc, well we're not quite there yet. That's what we're aiming for with Leste. Most of the stuff left to do is in userspace, bar the odd kernel bug.

Right now the N900 is the phone with best support in mainline Linux. If you're looking for something more modern, the Droid 4 is catching up.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: