Active Topics

First post and I'm already asking for something?

Hey all,

I just jumped on the sailifishx bandwagon. Sadly, I realized a bit too late that maps isn't part of the sailfishx. I know there are third party solutions or just using the android app, but that's not really my deal.

Anyway, I'm currently trying to get my hands on a Jolla 1, so I don't have to keep making posts like this every time there is an update, but would someone be willing to cut a newbie some slack and post here or just pm/email/etc me these rpms pulled for a fully updated Jolla 1?

pkqt5-plugin-geoservices-here
sailfish-maps*

Last edited by haskellcurrying; 2018-03-30 at 10:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haskellcurrying For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You don't need to copy the packages from a Jolla sbj1 device; it is enough that you have a Jolla account that you have activated with an official Jolla supported device (sbj1, model-c, aquafish, tablet, ...)

After that you can pull the maps to your whatever-Sailfish-device straight off the repositories.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Is that application currently in development or no more? Just curious...
So not possible at all to use it on ported devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but:

pkcon install sailfish-maps
Resolving [ ] (0%) Package not found: sailfish-maps
Command failed: This tool could not find any available package: No packages were found

And While its not really in active development, the last fix I saw was 2.1.3 and it seemed rather minor :

sailfish-maps

Updated : 1.1.27-10.41.1.jolla -- 1.1.28-10.43.1.jolla

[sailfish-maps] Avoid unnecessary notification category file.
sailfish-maps-l10n

Updated : 1.69-10.35.1.jolla -- 1.73.1-10.39.1.jolla
[l10n] Branched sailfish-maps from version 1.73
[l10n] Commit from Jolla localisation: 89 of 89 strings translated (0 need review).

[tpl] translation templates update for 1.1.28

It seems like its still the best option around. WhoGo looks promising and all, but it's just not ready yet!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haskellcurrying For This Useful Post:
hello,
Herewego works ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by feedme View Post
hello,
Herewego works ok.
You're quite right, but honestly I'm just not that keen on using an android app for such a primary task.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to haskellcurrying For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
To be honest, at the beginning I also used maps form Jolla, there were some third party apps but none of the were polished.
Maps wasn't really good, but the best at that time.

But nowadays, i don't miss it in any way. There are really brilliant third party apps which are much better than maps ever was:
Poor Maps
OSM Scout
and modrana are my favourites.
Together with OSM Scout Server there are not much wishes left for me. Why not just give it a try.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
I would have added WhoGo Maps https://openrepos.net/content/otsaloma/whogo-maps to the list. In my eyes, head and shoulders above anything else on SFOS these days. Since your hardware is compatible, there is no reason for not going for the best.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I note that sailfish-maps is no longer in the Jolla store (checked on Sailfish X)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Honestly, I've tried OSM Scout and WhoGo.

I'm not in the business of knocking awesome developers building cool stuff for a small platform in their free time, but neither are quite what I'm looking for. Both are awesome project to be sure, but yeah.

I was just hoping to give the original maps app a shot. It seems well fleshed out and built for Sailfish 2:

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...205675478-Maps

I know digging out your old Jolla 1 and getting it updated to 2.1.4 can be a pain, but it really is a total of 4 rpms once you're there. I would love the help.

Thanks again all

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haskellcurrying For This Useful Post: