Active Topics

It's been quite a while since I did the scratchbox installation, but I just carefully followed the wiki description and it's been working since..

As soon as I finally migrate to OS2008 I guess I'll get to see if the current wiki/instructions gets me through it as easily.

Originally Posted by djashjones View Post
i can tell you something, windows is childsplay compared to linux.
when you come from windows you take a lot of your windows knowledge for granted. give linux some time, there is some system to the madness. that said, I think there are some configuration bugs in the nokia supplied scripts.

Think i've installed scratchbox. figured out how to run the install script but its telling me that it cant continue due to no user has been setup. (more googling needed).
You have to specify the user you are installing for with a flag (I think the wiki is missing this detail). I can't remember the syntax, but check the script help (For Bore SDK, type "./maemo-sdk-install_3.1.sh --help")

Makes me think, are linux developers paid more than win32 developers?
Only in the afterlife.

installed scratchbox and the sdk. Will have a go at doing a Hello world app tomorrow.

One thing that going to take a while to get used to is that linux is case sensitive

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Rebuild your kernel to make it case insensitive!

im spending time going throught the tutorial. Dumb question i know but where is the best place to save my source code?

in your scratchbox home folder, which is /home/username from within scratchbox or /scratchbox/username/home/username outside of scratchbox. Always a good idea to setup some sort of SCM and use it religously even for personal projects.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
If you decice to put it out of /scratchbox/.... then you will have to use a mount-bind feature of linux because when you login to scratchbox you will be chrooted to /scratchbox which means that you will not see anything outside /scratchbox. So using mount-bind, you mount "a portion of a partition to another portion of a partition".

Example for me I have modified /scratchbox/sbin/sbox_ctl (start_sbox function) and added before the echo this line:
mount /mnt/hda2/src /scratchbox/users/free/home/free/src -o bind

My source are physically on /mnt/hda2.
My scratchbox is physically on /scratchbox (/ is /mnt/hda1 in fact)

In scratchbox to access my sources:
cd src

In my linux, I have a link like this:
/home/free/src ------> /mnt/hda2/src

So all links are preserved. (/home/free/src is consistent)
I can download out of scratchbox and make it available under scratchbox.