Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Yes. I am a victim and want to learn how to do it, so to protect myself.

Someone has 'somehow' got into my yahoo.com mail box and mass email all my friends for some Canadian mailing pharmacy, using my email address, title (No subject).

If you receive an email title (No subject) from bunanson at yahoo.com, please delete.

Help: How to do this kind of hack? is this a very difficult hack or it is a piece of cake? What can one do to protect him/herself?

I always think people sending spam is like putting poison in well. And now I am the one... ALL SPAMS are labelled with my email address

What measure am I taking now? I immediately export ALL my contacts to a file and deleted ALL my contacts from my yahoo.com. And changed my password. and probably will have to get a new email address.... still in a state of shock, not quite sure what to do next.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-10-12 at 00:22.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It just happened to my sis and my mother... Hotmail and Gmail respectively.

Pick complex passwords - uppercase, lowercase, one numeral and one special character and rotate your passwords - and don't use the same one(s) everywhere.

Totally sucks man.

I read sometime back, someone posted that his account has been compromised and, I think, the poster pointed the finger to ovi account. I checked the mass email address, it is my yahoo.com account, NOT my N900 contacts. They are different. that is how I can tell. This is from my yahoo.com mail box compromise, not my N900 or ovi acct. It really hurts.

bun

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I always think people sending spam is like putting poison in well. And now I am the one... ALL SPAMS are labelled with my email address
Anybody can send out emails using your yahoo email address in the From: header so that it looks like you sent it. Are you certain that those spam originated from the yahoo servers?

I dont know about the server issue, but the special names "we used to call each others" are unique to my contact list, and the spam are arranged with that special calling..... It is no doubt those spams are from my yahoo.com contact list.... My question. How to hack into somebody's mailbox to steal the contact list, I think you have to have the owner password and id. It costed me close to 6 hours of work. Whoever did it, would rotten in hell with satan till eternity.

bun

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Bun: maybe some spy-droid-ware due to your recent flirt with nitdroid

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Sort of like getting an STD from a one night stand...

Bun: More than likely your desktop computer is infected with a trojan that passed your login info on. If that is the case then no amount of password shuffling or strength will help (from what I understand).

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
he has a severe case of the nits
only thing to do is to rotate your passwords regularly, but then you will forget it also

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
its a virus that spreads spam..
been there too..
i perhaps you should consider changing your password and not open adverts on the internet..
yea... thats about it..

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
only thing to do is to rotate your passwords regularly
Which direction - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Tags
identity theft