Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Australia
Waiting here in Australia I'm curious, how many Jolla devices have been bought by those not in officially supported countries?

I know when I can afford/justify it (n9 still going) I'll chase one down, if the rumour of India is true my chances improve a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to gd81n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2014 @ Brisbane, Australia
My wife called them last night to get a Jolla for my birthday. Apparently they plan on beginning operations in Hong Kong soon which would make the phone much easier to get.

The Following User Says Thank You to smokex For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
In a recent article, Jolla suggested they're interested in (& srsly assessing) the Australasian market.

But then again...
Jolla often talks smack to the media (or the media pushes out smack based on something they say), so who knows >.>

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-05-13 at 10:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
In a recent article, Jolla suggested they're interested in (& srsly assessing) the Australasian market.

But then again...
Jolla often talks smack to the media (or the media pushes out smack based on something they say), so who knows >.>
Hope this is true... if it is anywhere near the australian market I will hold off from buying a oneplus one.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden

But then again...
I think this seems to be an issue because Jolla are significantly more open than most companies with their internal musings and tentative plans. If they say 'assessing', it really means that, and nothing more. I actually like that style, so let's not punish them for doing it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Oh I'm not referring to the more vague statements (ofc one doesn't place weight on those, where possible), only the more explicit things that've ended-up as vapour or wishful thinking.
And yes I agree that part of the problem is that they want to be "open", but there's a difference between being open + media-savvy, & open + not-media-savvy, often they've fallen into the latter.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-05-18 at 12:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Can I ask what the latest is with the phone and 4G? Is the hack still needed or will vodafone 4G work out of the box?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
I didn't even know it was an issue in Australia, or at least I forgot about that.
I gave up bothering to get one ages ago, I don't think I'll get the tablet either.
If they can announce a J2 before the year's over, then I "might" consider it.
But they better specifically include Australasia/Oceania this time, & there better not be any issues for our telco env.
Else I fear that will be the final straw for me....

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
I didn't even know it was an issue in Australia, or at least I forgot about that.
This link 48 says you can't use the phone with the 4G switching app. So I'm a little confused but that was a few software upgrades ago.
Let's see if anyone else replies...

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
You tried searching for the originally reported issue at together.jolla.com? (assuming it's there)
Or maybe even start a fresh query over there, too...

Tags
australia, jolla phone