Notices

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Map application that ships with the N810 does not seem to save favorite locations.

I find a location by address, open the menu from the "thumbtack" marker and select "add to favorites" then find nothing listed under favorites after the program as stated that it was successfully saved.

I go into the favorites and click the add a location button, find the location through that function instead, am told the favorite was saved successfully and find no favorites listed when I close and reopen the favorites list.

Map is a great program for getting a basic road map and using with the GPS radio but not being able to save locations is a real pain.

I've checked the user/group and file access attributes (the venerable "ls -l") on the internal flash install and compared them to my SD cloned bootable install. all files under the home folder are owned and writable by user and I see no difference between group ownerships that would account for the issue. I've done my internet searches, forum searches and asked on the Tablet Scene forums with no results and responses.

- Can anyone direct me to where I can get help with the Map application specifically?

- Can anyone direct me to the file which Map saves it's favorite entries in so I can figure this out from there on my own?

- Can anyone confirm what user/group Map writes it's config and favorite files under? Perhaps the file needs to be user:root instead of user:user? If it's on the vfat internal SD partition with the map data files then the security and ownership doesn't matter even.

- Am I the only one who has a Map application and a cloned install that can't save changes within the program config and favorites?

This has been a lingering issue for the last few OS updates Chinook through Diablo.

I've had some pretty noob questions in the past so hopefully it's simply a problem between the couch cushion and the button pad; those are really easy to fix. Either way, it's an issue that nags me every time I open up that app an it's the one thing keeping the app from being very useful.

Can anyone point me to where the N810 distributed Map application stores favorite addresses?

It seems I'm the only person having this issue or it is uninteresting to anyone else. Before I post to Bugzilla, can anyone tell me where the file Map stores favorite addresses is located? If it is an issue with my N810 only, I can fix or at least understand the problem.

To review, no matter how I add a favorite address to the Map program, it fails to save leaving the favorites list empty. So far no one has had an answer here or on the other forum site.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

More updates.

So, in the map data directories in the SD there is a Favourites.txt and History.txt. For whatever reason, my Map application is not writing to the Favourites.txt file. It seems my only option is to copy address lines from History.txt too the Favourites.txt if the location is that important to keep handy. This sucks but I'm the only one that cares so.. there's the best solution I've come up with so far. If/When someone else comes along searching for the same issue, that's what info I can offer so far.

(It was not fixed in the Diablo update.. maybe next time around)

Tags
map