"Uh-Oh: Nokia Lowers Its Q1 Forecast On Pressures In Emerging Markets, Margins On Smartphones

Nokia did not specifically give any numbers on overall revenues but it said that operating margins in the first quarter are expected to be at negative three percent — down from earlier estimates of being either breakeven or within two percentage points of that; it also said that Q2 margins will be similar or below Q1 levels.

As for the the silver lining, Nokia also noted that it has sold more than 2 million Windows Phone Lumia smartphones, with the average selling price at €220 ($262). There are now over 80,000 apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace app storefront, it added.

The financial revision come on the same day that the company launched a new NFC device, and one day after it said it would offer Lumia 900 customers credits on devices due to data faults on handsets.
..."
http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/11/uh-...ervices-sales/

Nokia was told, that the Windows strategy was a mistake.
Now they pay the bill.

Btw.: "data faults on handsets"...they are talking in general about WP7?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
what will Elop blame this time?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
what will Elop blame this time?
Symbian fans for not buying Windows Phone

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Nokia will die now for sure. Look its share prices. dropped 13 percent today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It couldn't happen to a more deserving company. But remember Rasputin -- it might not be dead yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Seriously, am I the only one who thinks that Tomi should be the CEO of Nokia? Just to see if his plans will make Nokia profitable like he says.. I am not saying anything bad about this guy (as I tend to agree with many points that he makes).. But anyone can talk.. I want to see actions.

Btw, I am one of those people that are an extreme Nokia loyal customer.. But, honestly, the lumia products (so far) has not intruiged me in anyway. Nokia has been well known for being way too advanced compared to ther manufacturers + having great quality products.. Now, you see products that are sometimes flimsy, and not to mention nothing special about them at all..

Lumia 900 for example sorely misses A LOT of features that Symbian had for the longest time now.. Why would I want to buy a "new" phone with less features that I got used to with Symbian/Maemo...

If Qt's plan is executed right.. Then it would literally take over the world really fast! Why would a developer reject a platform that's REALLY easy to build apps on???

As a loyal customer it hurts seeing what Nokia is doing to itself.. Shame on the board of directors and the investors.

Last edited by bandora; 2012-04-12 at 06:50.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Well you have to admit that 6 monkeys throwing feces at each other would make a way better CEO than failop

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
even if wp7 has the same ecosystem level as iphone, people still shoose iphone for its ui/ux and popularity

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
"Uh-Oh: Nokia Lowers Its Q1 Forecast On Pressures In Emerging Markets, Margins On Smartphones

Nokia did not specifically give any numbers on overall revenues but it said that operating margins in the first quarter are expected to be at negative three percent — down from earlier estimates of being either breakeven or within two percentage points of that; it also said that Q2 margins will be similar or below Q1 levels.

As for the the silver lining, Nokia also noted that it has sold more than 2 million Windows Phone Lumia smartphones, with the average selling price at €220 ($262). There are now over 80,000 apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace app storefront, it added.

The financial revision come on the same day that the company launched a new NFC device, and one day after it said it would offer Lumia 900 customers credits on devices due to data faults on handsets.
..."
http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/11/uh-...ervices-sales/

Nokia was told, that the Windows strategy was a mistake.
Now they pay the bill.

Btw.: "data faults on handsets"...they are talking in general about WP7?
The fail goes on:
"Nokia debt downgraded as company struggles

On Monday, Moody's Investors Service downgraded Nokia's corporate debt to near-junk status. The company's decline in sales numbers and 35 percent fall in revenue have earned it a Baa3 rating, or one step away from non-investment grade. This latest drop marks the most recent stumbling block for a company that was once the pinnacle of Finnish innovation and pioneered the global rise in mobile phones.
..."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...ess-around.ars

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down