Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
You're able to replace the Kernel at your N900 at the moment.
How about GPU on the new device? I'm almost certain driver for it will be closed. And for now it'll be X11 driver. I hope it'll be possible to reuse it if Meego switches to Wayland. But what about newer kernel?

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
But if you look for example at what they are doing with Internet Explorer these days, you can see that they understand that they need to play well with others to be taken seriously
Not really. For example they don't care about WebGL, since MS in general fights against OpenGL and pushes their Direct3D and XNA. So I doubt WebGL will ever make it into IE. They are forced to put some new stuff in IE, but it always will be late and outdated. So IE is really irrelevant as a modern browser even with all newest updates.

For example, I'd prefer to run Firefox (Fennec) on the mobile device. Meego is a good candidate for that, while WP isn't suitable at all because Mozilla can't even build Firefox for it, since MS didn't release the NDK. So here you have it - Meego does offer more choice for developers.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
The repos can be easily mirrored, or created new ones with legacy packages.

I will get to the point: Are you 100% sure that closed-source drivers will work with Linux kernel 3.0? I've been following Linux kernel since 2.2.x series, and during that period at least two times the interfaces and functioning logic of drivers has been changed.

Yes I am aware that Stskeeps is dedicated to the further support of the binaries, and it seems that this is the best that can be done at the moment.

I am merely pointing out that your future support for CSSU DEPEND on Nokia.

In short: you have achieved limited victory, since your platform is still under corporate control.
atleast Maemo is most open platform so far. Btw. the closed stuff is more depend on external hwmanufactors and not Nokia like GFX driver/wifi etc...

Originally Posted by LTman View Post
are the drivers on this device gonna be open source
ofcourse not, No manufactor will release a fully opensourced handset. Not even the drivers on a PC is fully opensource.

In case of the new device I think this will be closed:

wifi
gfx
modem
bme

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
After a myriad of devices (770, N800, N810, N900) based on closed source drivers, it is reasonable to ask Nokia to release device that is truly open to other distributions especially since they decided to abandon maemo/meego.

If any of such device that we are tease about has 100% open source drivers, I will buy it.

Otherwise I will simply ignore it.

I hope some of you would agree with me.
this is not always Nokias decision its also up to the TI or STE and other externals.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This question bothers me about the upcoming device. If Nokia drops support (which is probable), does it mean the device will be stuck with outdated kernel because of lacking drivers for newer ones?
no take a look at MeegoN900CE my guess is the new devices will go that direction in a year or so wish is good

(If the new device will be released still I am not sure.........

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, I just spoke to another Nokian here in Sydney. He said he has seen and touched the device briefly. But he said he was under NDA so was very careful. So I tried not to ask him blunt questions which he cannot answer.

But I asked him if he was impressed by it. (fyi - he's a PC overclocker, into dslr photography and is a enthusiast/geek catageory) He said he was impressed. I asked him if the guys here would be impressed. He said he believes that we will be "quite impressed". What I forgot to ask was if what he saw will be what we'll get to see next week. (I just asked. Hope he says yes. )

btw, I'm going to the event now. So I guess I'll find out soon enough. =P
Wow....so many rumors and so few hard facts. I cant believe that data hungry guys on this forum succumb to such rumors............there will be nothing substantial announced on June 21st, how about that rumor!

Originally Posted by shady View Post
and now im a developer for nokia, and have accepted the NDA ... really simple.

now lets hope that this helps my eligibility if not, ill just buy the KB device. if anything itll be a stop gap till medfield.
how have you done? i want to become a dev me too!

One could buy a KB device?

thanks if they give me the dev device i gift it you xD

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland