Active Topics

my uncle has a problem with his router, but we can't access the configuration page and he doesn't want to reset it. i'm trying to access the router but i need to get the mac address. which are the commands in meego harmattan to get the mac address of a router without actually being connected to it

The Following User Says Thank You to skyleth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I didn't read your question right, so I thought you were looking for the internal mac address of the N9.

Problem is: Normally one would use "arp" to find out this address, however, it is not available on the N9. So you need to get it elsewhere, being:

Code:
cat /proc/arp
(HW Address is the term used here)

For this to work, however, you would need to be connected to it.

Last edited by anthonie; 2013-01-21 at 11:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
@anthonie
You probably meant /proc/net/arp?

@skyleth
I don't understand what you mean by "not connected" as obiviously you can't get any information of anything without some kind of connection to it. So I will presume you are connected to the same LAN that the router is in.

If you have busybox-power (I'm not sure if harmattan's stock busybox includes /usr/sbin/arp) installed you can:
Code:
$ /usr/sbin/arp -n <router's IP-address>
Or if you have nmap installed:
Code:
$ devel-su
<rootme>
# develsh
# nmap -sP <router's IP-address>
If you don't know router's IP-address you can replace the nmap command above with:
Code:
# nmap -sP 192.168.*.* | grep -B3 MAC
...and it will scan all the addresses inside your LAN.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
thank you, i will try with your suggestions to see what i can get

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
@anthonie
You probably meant /proc/net/arp?
Man, I thought I deleted that post. At first I hadn't looked securely enough and assumed it was about the N900. So the advice I typed was meant for that. Than I noticed the threadlocation and started changing text, only to notice that I was wrong. Hence I intended to delete it. Yet failed. Such a simpel action.

Ahum...

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by skyleth View Post
thank you, i will try with your suggestions to see what i can get
To install busybox-power see; http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ybox+harmattan (requires inception or open mode).

Nmap can be installed from rzr's repository with apt-get or you can download it from here and install as usual with dpkg -i </path/to/package.deb>.

Tags
asking4magic