Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
So I was cleaning up my living room and I see this Nokia ad on the back of a paper with the N900. Navigation confirmed?

At first I thought it was sleazy and just had a picture of the N900 and the text didn't include the device. But as you can see it says N900 pretty clearly on there. Pretty cool huh! I got excited! Then I flipped the paper over...

Think this is an advertisement or a story in the paper (the Onion is a fake news paper)?

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
So I was cleaning up my living room and I see this Nokia ad on the back of a paper with the N900. Navigation confirmed?

At first I thought it was sleazy and just had a picture of the N900 and the text didn't include the device. But as you can see it says N900 pretty clearly on there. Pretty cool huh! I got excited! Then I flipped the paper over...

Think this is an advertisement or a story in the paper (the Onion is a fake news paper)?
It better be a real advertisement!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Maps lifetime license just isn't in the roadmap for Nokia, so until we geat official confirmation... would be strange that they would bloop something like that into a magazine ad :/

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Maps lifetime license just isn't in the roadmap for Nokia, so until we geat official confirmation... would be strange that they would bloop something like that into a magazine ad :/
Small print from maps.nokia.com (no mention of N900 or maemo there).

Free navigation is for the lifetime of the phone. Downloading of maps over-the-air may involve transferring large amounts of data. Your service provider may charge for the data transmission. The availability of particular products, services and features may vary by region. Please check with your local Nokia dealer for further details and availability of language options. These specifications are subject to change without notice.

EDIT: Hehe, so from maps.nokia.com if you go to Maps support and select N900 it says you're good to go! Oh but then in the how-to if you scroll down to the bottom you can see an entry for Maps for N900 which details it's limited functionality.

Big mess!

Last edited by sadfist; 2010-04-17 at 06:07.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Thank god for chores!

ps: easy tear beef look really gross.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kent, UK
even though 'The Onion' is a satirical magazine, the advertising is real. Why would this not be real, has it been officially confirmed that navigation is not coming?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
@cjp I am sorry but have you been living on Earth in 2010? Because Nokia already has free Turn-by-turn navigation on a lot of the Symbian phones... But we do need it for Maemo... So if you meant about every nokia phone then you need to check it out because there's free navigation... But if you meant Maemo only.. then please do accept my appologies..

Oh, boy. Nokia might have hell to pay for putting the N900 on that ad. You see, "navigation" to the Average Joe/Jane would consist of requirements like this:
  • The Nokia N900 shall contain navigation aid software.
  • The navigation aid software shall be entitled "Ovi Maps."
We then break down the requirements into sub-requirements:
  • Ovi Maps shall calculate route information to direct the user to his/her selected destination.
  • Ovi Maps shall recalculate route information upon a deviation from the route.
  • Ovi Maps shall provide visual cues to remind the user of upcoming directions.
  • Ovi Maps hall provide audio cues to remind the user of upcoming directions.
To anybody with an actual requirements engineering background, that list is actually vague, but you get the essence. Also, these people are not going to be as forgiving as some of us here are when the "requirements" I listed are not satisfied. I would not be surprised if someone gets angry enough to lawyer up. The minimum consequence, though, is that Nokia loses another customer.

I don't think this is an official Nokia ad. Looks like a cell providers ad. Just a mistake.

EDIT: Make that an "authorized distributor" of Nokia phones

Originally Posted by Jeffgrado View Post
I don't think this is an official Nokia ad. Looks like a cell providers ad. Just a mistake.

EDIT: Make that an "authorized distributor" of Nokia phones
Would a distributor even be allowed to generate their own marketing material like this? It looks Nokia supplied.

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post: