Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Something I'd like to point out to the people who are upset that "mere forum posters" are getting invites, while some developers are not. I sort of hinted at this in my other message, but posting a lot to the forums indicates a high level of community participation and enthusiasm... which is one way to indicate "evangelists". (not perfect, but workable)

Without diminishing the value of developers (because a healthy app eco-system is vital to the success of any platform), you can't diminish the value of evangelists, either. Evangelists are the ones who get the word out, who get people who weren't already considering or thinking about the platform to start thinking about it and considering it.

I think that's valuable. And I think that those people (whether I'm considered one, or not) deserve some of the candy too.
Posting in t.m.o isn't ignored, the "Thanks" button ensures that worthwhile posts go towards your Karma - without the "Thanks" button it would be impossible to tell fluff from useful/helpful information which is why the number of posts a member may have doesn't mean very much in terms of Karma, however the number of Thanked posts they have is significant.

I'm all for evangelists, but do we really need "evangelists" here? Will they add much more than an ordinary, informed and helpful Maemo member? What would be really great would be to earn points for evangelising on behalf of the Maemo community on other forums - not t.m.o! But that, unfortunately, would be difficult - but not impossible - to setup.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
To link your talk.maemo.org account and your maemo.org profile (so you can get karma based off your posts) see here.
That wiki-page looks empty?

Any other place for linking talk.maemo.org and maemo.org profile?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Would anyone have a problem with using "maemo.org" for the company name field?
I used it for the URL anyway.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I'm all for evangelists, but do we really need "evangelists" here?
Many evangelists participate here... and elsewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by myrjola View Post
That wiki-page looks empty?

Any other place for linking talk.maemo.org and maemo.org profile?
I think it was a lame attempt at smart-arse humor

Fell flat.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Many evangelists participate here... and elsewhere.
Yes, but no Karma for elsewhere, which is where it may do the most good. We're pretty much preaching to the choir here (well, me on a good day! )

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
I think it was a lame attempt at smart-arse humor

Fell flat.
Heh.. that figures

Well I managed to locate instructions form another thread titled
"Karma points linked to ITT Thanks/Posts?? ":

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...g+user+profile

It seems that you need to add the url to your talk.maemo.org user profile to a ("alter ego") field on your maemo.org user profile (on "edit account" form).

(If I understood the instructions correctly and they are still valid).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Well hunted, myrjola I think I've linked them now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, but no Karma for elsewhere, which is where it may do the most good. We're pretty much preaching to the choir here (well, me on a good day! )

but, being vocal here might be a predictor of those people being vocal in other environments as well. surely not a perfect predictor, but perhaps a useful one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Sorry to interupt...

Thanks Nokia, Forum Nokia, Quim, The Community Council, members of the Academy, and anyone else who may have contributed to this incredibly generous gesture.

Other than reporting 1 bug and commenting on applications that I use on my device, my karma has come mostly from my involvement in this forum...
I don't believe I post excessively and I have tried to give back to new members what older members gave to me. My post rate @ a little less than 2 a day is a small investment of time on my part to help keep the fire going. This fire has kept my interest “warm” and because of the exceptional quality of the people who have gathered around the fire with me, keeping the fire going was its own reward.

Being offered a 40% discount on the N900 just for hanging out with you lot is a tremendous bonus!

Thanks again, powers that be.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-10-17 at 01:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: