Active Topics

Originally Posted by michaelangelus View Post
I got this problem since my brother got his Galaxy Nexus Last Week, at first I thought it was caused by his device hogging the bandwith but after looking for a solution and trying different things (like manually setting the IP on device and router) this is what worked for me on PR 1.1:

1.- Delete the access point (the network connection for your WIFI) on your N9.
2.- Restart your router (only this time it will be necessary).
3.- Edit your Networks on N9, look for your SSID, use Easy Configuration, the One Click or One Button Option on both your Router and N9.
4.- Let the connection happen, it may take a while.

For some reason this worked when manual config failed, I had never used this option before since I had no need for it.
My guess for why other devices seem to work and N9 fails to connect is that it somehow gets stuck trying to get the last IP it had used, even when you manually configure another one, and the router trying to give it another one is what causes the error. At least this is what I could gather from the router logs.

One last thing, I don't know if this matters or not but after I deleted my network connection I got the device to try and use another restricted Wifi network that appeared in my vicinity, just to see if that would clear the IP address thing and then I did the One Button setup from the router.

Edit: I did this a week ago and have not had any more trouble nor had to restart my router since then, even if my brother is connected to the network.

Dear Michael.... Appreciate your support here..
I wish if you can elaborate the 3rd step in detail about 'looking for SSID, and One Click or One Button Option'.
What exactly I should do on my N9 and the router to get it done ?
Since I m not so tech-savvy, still would like to explore and resolve this with your help....

Thanks again......

Originally Posted by Matt-UAE View Post
Dear Michael.... Appreciate your support here..
I wish if you can elaborate the 3rd step in detail about 'looking for SSID, and One Click or One Button Option'.
What exactly I should do on my N9 and the router to get it done ?
Since I m not so tech-savvy, still would like to explore and resolve this with your help....

Thanks again......

Nowadays most WiFi Routers have a button either on the top or the side that allows you to set up a new connection without having to enter your WAP o WEP password on your mobile device. This is often called Push-Button-Method or One Push Setup, it varies( you can search for WPS on google to learn more about this).

On N9 go to Settings--->Internet connection--->Connect To internet--> Wait for your network to appear-->Select it,
If the Push-Button-Method is supported/allowed by your router it will give you that option along with another PIN method option, or you can skip Easy Configuration entirely by setting up you preshared WAP or WEP key.
Now, you must push the button on your router (or activate the function via the web UI) and then select the Push-Button-Method on N9 as well, this will create the connection for you.

The one problem you might encounter with this is that not every router has this option enabled because of security reasons (when this happens the N9 skips this entirely and only gives you the option to enter the WEP/WAP Key) and there are still some that don't support it but most linksys i have seen do support it.

Last edited by michaelangelus; 2012-08-22 at 23:54. Reason: Making this mess easier to comprehend I hope

The Following User Says Thank You to michaelangelus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaelangelus View Post
Nowadays most WiFi Routers have a button either on the top or the side that allows you to set up a new connection without having to enter your WAP o WEP password on your mobile device. This is often called Push-Button-Method or One Push Setup, it varies( you can search for WPS on google to learn more about this).

On N9 go to Settings--->Internet connection--->Connect To internet--> Wait for your network to appear-->Select it,
If the Push-Button-Method is supported/allowed by your router it will give you that option along with another PIN method option, or you can skip Easy Configuration entirely by setting up you preshared WAP or WEP key.
Now, you must push the button on your router (or activate the function via the web UI) and then select the Push-Button-Method on N9 as well, this will create the connection for you.

The one problem you might encounter with this is that not every router has this option enabled because of security reasons (when this happens the N9 skips this entirely and only gives you the option to enter the WEP/WAP Key) and there are still some that don't support it but most linksys i have seen do support it.

Thank You so much Michael... I will certainly try this shortly. and will revert you.. I might need your help further for this...
Thanks again....( I hope I am closer to the end of my problem )

Hi.. I was waiting desperately for PR 1.3 OTA update on my N9 here in UAE, partcularly to get rid of this Connection issue of
"Something's wrong with the network connection".

Finally yesterday I got the update and have updated PR 1.3 successfully which gives now much more improvements and bug fixes.

But my issue still remain the same. My N9 was connected to my home Wifi where I have my Laptop also connected, but just now all of a sudden the Connection was lost and while re-connecting I got the same above error. I am pretty much sure, this caused when my N9 goes out-of=coverage of Wifi network, meaning cuts out of it.

Otherwise If I manually switch it off while going out of home, I was able to connect it again when I m back home. But problem arises whenever I m at home and it goes out of network and cuts-off from network...

The above post before me seems to be helpful But i m not good at it....

Any help will be appreciated... Guys..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
update it to pr1.3 as its been widely reported that issues with WiFi connectivity do get fixed in pr1.3
In my case, PR 1.3 seems to have CAUSED the problem (wifi was fine before).

After observing for few months, I have noticed that this error
"Something's wrong with the network connection" is caused whenever my home network signal gets cut-off from the range.

While re-connecting, it will give the same above error msg.
And only on restarting the network router, I m able to re-connect to my home network. Due to this I have to activate the mobie data package to use if Wifi doesnt work.

But still no idea what technical issue is causing this error....

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Its due to the n9's lousy wifi range...

Also it could be your network is acting up...I had the same issue regularly...Called my ISP over and after they changed the access point it works well now...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Its due to the n9's lousy wifi range...

Also it could be your network is acting up...I had the same issue regularly...Called my ISP over and after they changed the access point it works well now...

Hi..

What does "changing access point" actually means. ?
What should I mention to my ISP precisely when I call them for same.. ?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
The point where your cable is connected to your router...

Matt i feel your pain. Ive had this issue since day one :-(

Ive followed this site religiously, but never had much to say so ive only registered now.

As Matt has pointed out, the Wifi works flawlessly so long as you stay within range. The second the phone loses its connection with the router (eg: i leave my house to go to varsity) when i return home, and the N9 is back within range of the network, it refuses to connect again.

The Wlan is seen, but on attempting to reconnect i get the error "there is something wrong with the network connection"

the only solution is to restart the router.

Ive tried every possible combination of settings on my router. to no avail. This issue is crippling for me. from where im from (South Africa) 3G data-costs are terribly expensive and my devices live on Wifi connections. With this wifi problem, my N9 was unusable.

ive sadly moved onto a Galaxy Nexus purely because of it. :-(

i still love my N9 and every day i Google this issue with bated breath in hopes for a fix. The day i find a solution for this, my Nexus will become a paperweight

Ps: i have tried the WPS button thingy mentioned above, but still, the problem persists...oh, and sorry for the long post

PPS: this is definitely not a hardware issue. ive tried reproducing this bug in Nitdroid and it just isnt an issue. The wifi in nitdroid works 100%. so this is certainly something to do with Harmattan

Last edited by DisCorD; 2012-10-08 at 21:07.