Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
GParted UPDATE:

If you "apt-get install dosfstools" you can resize your fat32 partitions in GParted! Hooray! This is now the best on-tablet partition editing app. Uninstall QTParted.

NOTES: You have to unmount the mmc card in hildon before starting your Debian chroot. I have found that I cannot unmount the /media/mmc2 card (it becomes "busy" as soon as you mount it, even if you have no virtual memory defined) but I can unmount and then repartition the /media/mmc1 card by typing:

Code:
sudo closechroot
sudo umount /media/mmc1
sudo debian gparted /dev/mmcblk1
TIP: Uncheck "Round to Cylinders" to avoid having the (usually 4MB) unformatted space at the beginning of the card changed.

Resizing my 16GB SD card, preparing for partitioning... (note that the partition has data on it already, I'm resizing without reformatting)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
This is a really cool program. I would love to see this ported to maemo.

GParted

Code:
gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-27 at 19:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Has anybody thought about Google Gears? Could we somehow use the Maemo port?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you're a Firefox / Iceweasel user on the tablet, then you probably want to install the Grab and Drag extension. This makes Firefox behave like the built-in browser, in that you use the stylus or your finger to move around the web page, rather than the tiny little scroll bars.

Admit it, you've tried to scroll up a webpage in Iceweasel only to find that you're selecting text.

EDIT: Here's another extension that makes things better on the tablet:
Tiny Menu

1. After you install, right click on any toolbar and choose customize.
2. Drag all items in the navigation toolbar (back/forward, address bar, etc) up into the menu bar. Click 'Done'.
3. Right click on a toolbar again, and un-select the (now empty) navigation bar.

Tada, tiny!

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-12 at 20:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
qole, you are truly a geek's geek. I'm proud of you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entonian For This Useful Post:
Entonian, that's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said* to me.

* Well, you know, written.. about... me. But wow, that just sounds lame.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-14 at 08:21.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Some debian apps can be copied directly from debian folder to maemo folder and run straight within maemo (without using 'debbie' command). For example, I've copied xbindkeys from debian to maemo by :
cp /debian/usr/bin/xbindkeys /usr/bin
cp /debian/usr/lib/libguile* /usr/lib
cp -rf /debian/usr/share/guile/* /usr/share

After this, I change 'debbie xbindkeys' command to simply 'xbindkeys', and it works perfectly

Other apps like zenity (numerous user dialogs -- the display calendar dialog is particularly useful) also work. Of course not all work. Typically I first copy over the main exe file, then run it. And for whatever missing libraries or directories, I would simply copy over. And finally, if it works, it works perfectly (with maemo fonts and theme, and faster). Otherwise, then continue to use 'debbie' command.

The Following User Says Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:
Sometimes, you can even go to http://packages.debian.org, download the armel Debian package, and then use "dpkg -i package-name.deb" to install it directly into maemo. This usually only works with applications that have very few dependencies, like command-line apps.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
FYI, Midori on debian unstable has been upgraded to the last version, 0.1.1-1.
It seems more stable and performant on the NIT and could be a viable alternative to the default browser until tear or the webkit engine for microb are mature.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
We are now to Midori 0.1.2 - this is becoming seriously nice as a browser, and seems quicker and more stable in my hands.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
FINAL EDIT:

I just installed the alsa sound system in a new chroot. First, I had to install some packages:

Code:
apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2-plugins alsa-oss
Then I downloaded the attachment below, and unzipped it as root from the Debian chroot prompt:

Code:
[root@Debian: /]tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/alsa-files.tar.gz
That does it.

------

Ok, the magic seems to happen in two files. The Debian /etc/asound.conf is the same as our maemo /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, and the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf is a big file that does some magic stuff that makes things work. I bet it is the default Debian alsa.conf file.

I have attached a tarball of the two files.

Once I copied these files into place, I found I had to issue
Code:
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
...this made the new config files take effect.

Hoorah. Finally.

EDIT: I have no idea if those mysterious mixer files have anything to do with anything...
Update:

I needed to get audio working for my new Easy Ubuntu package. I followed these instructions, and I found that there's a new step that I have to add for Ubuntu. Assuming that /ubuntu is the chroot, as root from maemo:

Code:
cp /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_dsp_ctl.so /ubuntu/usr/lib/alsa-lib

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian