There was an earlier report stating that N9 sold/shipped up to 1.5m and outsold Lumia... I am surprised that there were no further discussions on the topic, because I believe the number is not true.

First, let's look at the facebook N9 page, it says there are 160k active users. Keep in mind that China's N9 doesn't have facebook.

Then there is the Nokia Store download statistics for my app, Stockona. The app has been available since I think late September. There are nearly 2.5k downloads so far (I am not sure whether Nokia Store counts unique download only, let's suppose it is.) The app's availability is set to worldwide, but I made a mistake so it wasn't available in China until late January... but for simplicity I will ignore the potential downloads generated in China from Nov to Jan.

Understandably, being a finance tracking app, the audience for the app is limited in the first place. Let's be generous and say 5% of all N9 users might be interested in such app, and only 80% of them saw the app and download it. The number of N9 users is then about 60k. To me, there is simply no way that more than 1m N9 were shipped. Otherwise, the channel will have tons of unsold N9.

Yesterday I saw there was another report saying there were around 600k N9 shipped in Q4. To me that sounds much more reasonable/believable. Also from the Nokia Store statistics, the top-three countries with the highest number downloads are un-surprisingly: Finland-USA-Australia. China, for whatever reason (the China N9 ships with a built-in stock tracking app for China-region market. I guess there is still the need to track their oversea investment ), is picking up fast. What is more impressive to me is, the purchase ratio of the China market is very high at about 30%.

Those are all I have to share. I am sure apps like fMobi and cuteTube generate far more downloads and purchases than mine, but overall I still think the market for Harmattan app is too small. But of course I also love Harmattan so much that I don't want to leave this platform for now. The pieces from Harmattan will live on in Meltemi, but it's lower-end hardware (e.g. HVGA screen) and unless Nokia reveals it soon, I am feeling the momentum from developers might be lost going forwards.

UPDATE: I don't want to change what I wrote, but my writings were off my original intention to share and discuss the stats from Nokia Store. So please just focus on the hard stats from Nokia Store and ignore the extrapolations to guess the number of N9 shipped. (But not the Meltemi info )

Last edited by sony123; 2012-02-14 at 07:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Honestly, that's a lot of extrapolating from inconclusive and shaky data. I can see where you'd want to go with that, but it's just too inconclusive.

In the end, I don't know that we'll ever see real sale numbers. Anything that casts doubt on the WP route (including both the N9 outselling it or even competing with the numbers despite nearly zero advertising and low key markets getting it) will not be released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
My app got 667 downloads this month, 427 of those from China. I don't provide a Chinese translation or anything...

btw, more info here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81683

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
who said 1.5 m shipped units? I thought that was a number that could have been reached with a world wide launch.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
who said 1.5 m shipped units? I thought that was a number that could have been reached with a world wide launch.
No, the number that could have been reached with a worldwide launch is estimated to be 4 - 5 million.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
My app got 667 downloads this month, 427 of those from China. I don't provide a Chinese translation or anything...

btw, more info here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81683
Thanks for the info, I didn't see your thread earlier

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Understandably, being a finance tracking app, the audience for the app is limited in the first place. Let's be generous and say 5% of all N9 users might be interested in such app, and only 80% of them saw the app and download it.
I'm sure your app is very good, but I would be extremely surprised if 4% of all N9 users downloaded it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
There was an earlier report stating that N9 sold/shipped up to 1.5m and outsold Lumia... I am surprised that there were no further discussions on the topic, because I believe the number is not true.

First, let's look at the facebook N9 page, it says there are 160k active users. Keep in mind that China's N9 doesn't have facebook.

Then there is the Nokia Store download statistics for my app, Stockona. The app has been available since I think late September. There are nearly 2.5k downloads so far (I am not sure whether Nokia Store counts unique download only, let's suppose it is.) The app's availability is set to worldwide, but I made a mistake so it wasn't available in China until late January... but for simplicity I will ignore the potential downloads generated in China from Nov to Jan.

Understandably, being a finance tracking app, the audience for the app is limited in the first place. Let's be generous and say 5% of all N9 users might be interested in such app, and only 80% of them saw the app and download it. The number of N9 users is then about 60k. To me, there is simply no way that more than 1m N9 were shipped. Otherwise, the channel will have tons of unsold N9.

Yesterday I saw there was another report saying there were around 600k N9 shipped in Q4. To me that sounds much more reasonable/believable. Also from the Nokia Store statistics, the top-three countries with the highest number downloads are un-surprisingly: Finland-USA-Australia. China, for whatever reason (the China N9 ships with a built-in stock tracking app for China-region market. I guess there is still the need to track their oversea investment ), is picking up fast. What is more impressive to me is, the purchase ratio of the China market is very high at about 30%.

Those are all I have to share. I am sure apps like fMobi and cuteTube generate far more downloads and purchases than mine, but overall I still think the market for Harmattan app is too small. But of course I also love Harmattan so much that I don't want to leave this platform for now. The pieces from Harmattan will live on in Meltemi, but it's lower-end hardware (e.g. HVGA screen) and unless Nokia reveals it soon, I am feeling the momentum from developers might be lost going forwards.
the argument this is based on just makes me lol
thinking a wee bit high of ourself are we?

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-13 at 11:22.

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
not again....

The Following User Says Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, Again and again and...

The statistics around N9 is not important at all to me as long as I have at least one device.

The only problem I have is that poeple might think I am walking around with a Lumia so I am trying to hide it as much *** possible. The F***ers at Nokia HQ shall not get any free visibility.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: