Active Topics

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Last time I checked Mer was using 2.6.37 with sh*tload of patches. Yeah, meant drivers and display works.

Anyways, sorry to keep you waiting even more but I have to revert to 3.5 kernel, there is just too much broken in 3.6 currently as there are big changes happening there, and I have not had time for packaging N900 specific stuff because of that, life and few other reasons. I'm trying to get you something usable (read charging, dsp, graphics with acceleration) as soon as possible to test out and provide package to get you properly configured.
Could I help in any way?

Having archlinux in the phone would be awesome!

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Help would be needed with testing, and if there is someone interested with skills in C that would be great too.

Those wanting to try it out, grab omap rootfs tarball from arch linux arm site, extract it to dedicated partition and chroot in. Upgrade your system, install systemd, and do some configuring. I'll put a kernel for you to test out later this week (I'll _try_ to do this today but you can prepare for it by doing the above steps).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
Help would be needed with testing, and if there is someone interested with skills in C that would be great too.

Those wanting to try it out, grab omap rootfs tarball from arch linux arm site, extract it to dedicated partition and chroot in. Upgrade your system, install systemd, and do some configuring. I'll put a kernel for you to test out later this week (I'll _try_ to do this today but you can prepare for it by doing the above steps).
Can I use the external mmc too (chroot it, update it and when the kernel is released, boot it from mmc)?

Last edited by munozferna; 2012-09-27 at 15:54.

Originally Posted by munozferna View Post
Can I use the external mmc too (chroot it, update it and when the kernel is released, boot it from mmc)?
Yes, you can. Create (or use existing) partition for it and use ext4 as a filesystem. Partition, u-boot and kernel is all that is required. 2GB should be enough for testing at least. Also, you can use swap partition on emmc so you don't need to create one.

Those of interest could tell me what they feel are the most important features in kernel or otherwise, that should just work and what are the most unimportant ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Hungary
Yes, you can. Create (or use existing) partition for it and use ext4 as a filesystem. Partition, u-boot and kernel is all that is required. 2GB should be enough for testing at least. Also, you can use swap partition on emmc so you don't need to create one.

Those of interest could tell me what they feel are the most important features in kernel or otherwise, that should just work and what are the most unimportant ones.
Currently we are working on an Ubuntu port for N900.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87002
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82819

I would like to see working:
  • DSP
  • Cameras
  • Keyboard slider detector
  • Screenlock button
  • Proximity sensor
  • Charging

We already managed to get DSP working but it was crappy, and I think we can't get it working until we a working SGX driver which seems to be inpossible.

Here's a video showing how far we've gone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUlJ2GXI04

I would really appriciate your work and I'm willing to test out your kernel builds but unfortunately I have no C knowledge.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PanzerSajt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PanzerSajt View Post
I would like to see working:
  • DSP
  • Cameras
  • Keyboard slider detector
  • Screenlock button
  • Proximity sensor
  • Charging

We already managed to get DSP working but it was crappy, and I think we can't get it working until we a working SGX driver which seems to be inpossible.
I have DSP working too. What I also have is modified fbdev-sgx which I've been trying to adapt to work with recent Xorg, kernel and latest sgx drivers from TI. So far it partially works but is slow and crash prone. Both 2d and 3d acceleration works fine on framebuffer without X though. What X driver are you using with Ubuntu?

Extra buttons already work, using them is just a matter of userspace configuring and/or scripting. Cameras and sensors are of no interest to me at this point as there are alot of more important features to get going, but surely I'm going to look at them at some point.

Currently I'm trying to get charging to work. I have a kernel with Pali's charger driver which I think is already working, but I've had no luck with that yet. Other solution is to do this from userspace, which is currently the option I'm going with. This is already working thanks to Joerg and I'm about to adapt his charging script to get automatic charging from wallcharger. That should be enough for now.

Kernel package will come when I've packaged the essential n900 specific stuff so getting (command line) installation of Arch to just work by installing a package group.

As a comparison after watching your video, I got boot time of 7 seconds to console and from there few more seconds to Enlightenment. Class 4 mmc and ext4 fs.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Class 4 mmc and ext4 fs.
Whoa, finally someone tries it with fastest cards, instead on insisting on *slower* class 6 or 10 cards! It's already enough to impress me, so working Arch on N900 is just added value

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It's already enough to impress me, so working Arch on N900 is just added value
Precisely! I guess there is only a handful of people actually interested and even less people who actually would want to use it though.

Nevertheless, one has to have a spare time project, and hopefully something I've done could be of some use for people working with other distros and kernels or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Hungary
Currently I'm trying to get charging to work. I have a kernel with Pali's charger driver which I think is already working, but I've had no luck with that yet. Other solution is to do this from userspace, which is currently the option I'm going with. This is already working thanks to Joerg and I'm about to adapt his charging script to get automatic charging from wallcharger. That should be enough for now.
Actually I have a working charging script which can detect the wall charger and starts charging via I2C.
Here's the code: (charge-automatic.sh)
https://code.launchpad.net/~panzersa...essories/trunk

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PanzerSajt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Scotland
Precisely! I guess there is only a handful of people actually interested and even less people who actually would want to use it though.

Nevertheless, one has to have a spare time project, and hopefully something I've done could be of some use for people working with other distros and kernels or so.
I registered just to say I am incredibly interested in this! picked up an n900 recently (best decision ever) and would love to run arch on it.

I'd love to help out too. I don't have any experience or knowledge about the kernel, but I'm a fairly competent programmer. Maybe I'll just help out by testing to start with, then maybe later I can see if I can get involved more!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 15jamie20 For This Useful Post: