Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
it appears the volume control buttons still work when the device is locked so its easy to change volume setting in your pocket.
I feel your pain. I had that on an ancient Motorola phone. It looked like a good idea at first but only until you realized you missed a few calls because the volume was unintentionally turned down without your knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
New firmware update this morning has at least made the two volume displays read the same value consistently - I think.

Still can't find any way to prevent the volume being changed when locked though

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Another more or less random comment...

The 20/7 firmware upgrade seems to have delivered all that was promised in the battery management department.

Phone is currently sitting at 61% charge, 39 hours after a full charge, and only light use

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Indeed, the MX has good "legs". The battery bug however remains, at least for me. Weird fluctuations of readings.

I must say that on a device so large, the interface can be tricky, particularly the swipe from right that can fail to register. Two handed use is much surer.

"Sent from Ubuntu Touch device using the Forum Browser app"

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
whats light use? just sitting there doing nothing?

I made one short phone call, sent maybe a half dozen texts, maybe checked a couple of websites.
Bluetooth on, WiFi on, GPS off.
Only been out once, so mostly static location in good 3G coverage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
thats pretty good. I suppose am a heavy user that likes generally constant music so I barely get a day out of.

Supposedly Plasma Mobile (KDE) will work on any Ubuntu Phone.

Anyone want to try who has MX4 Ubuntu edition.

Details here:

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=297&t=127473

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
And for those interested in stretching the boundaries of Ubuntu Phone this documents the journeys of an enterprising soul.

Thing to remember - Ubuntu Phone is a work in progress. So setting the image to r-w will allow you to install what you will BUT the OS may break with updates, and depending on your channel, those can come thick and fast.

I thought this was interesting with respect to the strategy being followed.

Last edited by handaxe; 2015-08-02 at 21:39. Reason: a stray "I" and one of me is enough :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
OTA-8 update appeared today.

I didn't spot anything particularly exciting in the changelist, or spot (yet) and changes in the user experience.

Volume buttons can still mute the phone in your pocket.

Still no telnet available in the terminal - seems a glaring omission for a phone that only IT geeks are likely to buy. (Yes it's old, insecure, yada yada - but you don't always get to choose the equipment you have to work with)

Still no close button on apps (personal gripe) - I hate faffing around playing the sliding tile game to get rid of apps I'm not using, and I don't want to slide through a dozen unwanted tiles to find the app I want.

[edit : I did just find you can close apps with a long press on the sidebar / appbar WTF its called this week. Suspect that's been there a while, maybe all along, No way to tell. If only there was some documentation, or maybe a website (radical idea)]

Home screen still has a tile called 'messages', as well as the phone having an app called 'messages', but they don't do exactly the same thing, just similar. STUPID!

Basically hating this thing a little bit more each day

Last edited by epninety; 2015-11-20 at 15:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: