Active Topics

Closed Thread
Thanks a lot, somehow I missed your 1st post.

As for GSM, yes, I've done tests - in city areas there is 0 difference, in rural area with only one strong Node B signal is a little weaker if we face it *directly* with the alu backcover, and a similar *increase* in signal strength when we face it rotated 180 degrees (i.e. with alu backcover positioned like "reflector" behind N900 internals). None seemed to change anything in practice.

I have booked (and payed) more professional signal ratio tests for body replacement phase, when it will be ready for such tests.
---

As for scanning N900's body, it would surely help a lot. As I've said earlier in this thread in answers to PEB's similar query (sadly, he never managed to finish that 3D scanning job), plain STL file format would do best - it should be least problematic for you to obtain and for me to work on (STL is supported by most FOSS CAD programs, and, more importantly, it is only one format for 3D with really good support in FOSS CAM g-code converters).

There is absolutely no problem with every part being scanned as separate file - of course, if you have skills and time it would be even better to have everything combined + separate files as addition, but, as I don't have access for 3D scanner, I'll accept basically whatever you may throw at me

Thanks again,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel,

do you know if it is possible to remove/detach the keyboard from motherboard? I want to design a body where keyboard is at the same level and below the screen to make the device thinner. Like referenced somewhere in the beginning of this thread.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
the keyboard "buttons" are part of the motherboard, it is not detachable

are you thinking of making one without the slide?
you could loose a little thickness by removeing that mech from it but not enough to bring it to the same level

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Yep, exactly that. But I also figured that it wont be enough to bring to same level. How close would it be? 2 mm?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

You can (easily) remove white plastic layer (the one, that have metallic parts, bending on press), but buttons pads are on PCB. Only one way to make keyboard the same level as screen is to use very thick button layer (the one with letters and numbers printed on it), *or*, even harder, using something thicker as replacement for white layer.
---

BTW, how scanning goes? Have you evaluated possibility of doing it?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
*or*, even harder, using something thicker as replacement for white layer.
It's really hard, domesheet with light guide, like the one in N900, is patented by Nokia, so you would have to say goodbye to keyboard illumination.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Haven't started yet. Was sick the last few days. Going tomorrow or friday to the lab to ask for scanning procedure.
Problem is also, this N900 is my only, main phone. So if something goes wrong, I have no backup phone. Hope to find a cheap n900 for parts.

Good news - I've changed my 16 kb/s ISP for a cellular 512 kb/s (albeit unlimited), so I'm no longer in late 80's network speed. It meant that I'll be able to upload more photos. As today, I've finished setting up all bits of machine in the new "workshop", I'm starting milling camera cover rev. 3.

If nothing goes wrong (tm), you may expect some real eye candy late this week

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
If I ordered the whole case replacement, would you be rolling out the back cover first? And will it ship?

As announced earlier, backcover-only thing is going to roll out first, followed by whole body replacement. Could you, please, specify what you mean by "will it ship"? Shipping costs are not included in pre-order price (as it depends in your location), if that is what you're asking. Of course, every supporter is made aware of that, before pre-ordering (in addition to stating it few times in this thread).

Belive it or not, but I'm doing it on minimal-to-non-existent profit, and I didn't wanted to round-up pre-order price, just to compensate for most-expensive shipping fee scenario. So, when it's ready for shipping, I'll contant pre-order supporters about their preffered way of shipping.

/Estel

// Edit
After rolling out backcover-onlhy phase, I'll contant moderators about changing thread title (getting rid of "pre-" parts) and I'll modify first post, filling it with proper annoucement data.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-11-25 at 13:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel