Active Topics

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
May I suggest then that the new forum is just a shell with jolla logos etc, that uses tapatalk to fetch content (and allow posting) from the jolla subforums in tmo?

Just a thought.

If the two can somehow be connected - then sure, that would be great. But it surely should work both ways. I.e. any posts / answers made there should propagate to TMO and the other way around. Editing posts and etc. can make it tricky. I'm not familiar with tapatalk synchronization.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-01 at 00:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the response. I do think I see where you're coming from and I don't mean to sound combatitive if I come off that way. I have two Jollas coming to my family and we have a mix of N9s and N900s floating around and still in use as well.

Originally Posted by stezz View Post
Hi Fawz, I'd be happy to hear what are the 3 top most things you _expect(ed)_ .
I could mention three or more expectations, but really they all fall under one big point; early on it seemed that Jolla wanted to coin itself as being down to earth, "not repeating mistakes" and being very much about community interaction and openness. All the so-to-say hurt feelings stem from the gap between this initial perception of Jolla's intentions and the actual flow of information that ensued. I'll give some examples.

Empty marketing over real information and communication. I realize it's all about burning your brand name into peoples minds, but we were bombarded with the most cliche PR (literally "be different" said in an awkward "fresh" way). That kind of marketing is something we expect from big faceless companies like Apple. Small indie companies don't have the same huge resources, so they present themselves as people to people to bond with them. If half or even less of the energy of that marketing had been put into maintaining an actual blog instead of using twitter or maybe even launching a forum the whole process would have felt far more personal and connected. I realize that there are always things you can't talk about yet, but I can't believe there would be nothing. After all as far as I remember you openly contributed to Mer, so why not write about that from time to time. Communities are all about emotional bonding of groups of people; the more you get the feeling of "being a part" the more you bond.

Lack of sharing of APIs and interfaces (other half and software). I realize this might have been because of not-yet-finalized components and I don't hold it against Jolla, but it seems/seemed a big issue. Revealing interfaces early on would have energized realistic projects which in turn would have inspired people to check out Jolla and Sailfish. We would have had ready solutions for launch, saving you work. The epic Other Half prototypes ready at launch would have distracted from the inevitable bugs. I think it would have been beneficial to set aside resources to settle this early (of course I don't know how possible that was).

I'm not saying you are at fault for acting as you are. You simply seem to have created some expectations that weren't met for some people, intentionally or not. I would take all strong reactions as a sign that people care a lot about Jolla's potential and that's definitely a good thing.

Originally Posted by stezz View Post
I believe the potential is not in the place but is in the persons that inhabit in the place.

And a mindset like that is what gives me hope for the future

All the best.

Last edited by Fawz; 2013-12-01 at 01:01.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
I am also looking for volunteers to test this *decentralised* XMPP based blog platform , it could suit our needs :

http://pod.mov.im/blog/rzr@movim.eu/...croblog:0#blog

Note that jolla is actually using diaspora , unsure this can be used as a forum but that's nice to have alt to centralized chanels ...

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
I see two sides of a coin in many arguments presented in this thread...

You simply seem to have created some expectations that weren't met for some people, intentionally or not.
I think this goes very deep to the core.. if being more open creates more expectations, which often leads to let-downs and dissatisfied customers (generally people don't have the nerves to stand the many delays and changes to the product [which can be HUGE], and those happen all the time, especially in startups) and often involves many problems to companies business-wise, versus not being open which closes the possibility of community involvement in projects, not to mention a more or less disgruntled community... I bet finding the balance between the two isn't the easiest thing to do... to be as open as possible without damaging your company in the process.

EDIT: I felt I should add that there are probably much more to the issue than the things I just said; I have that unfortunate characteristic of talking about things I'm not entirely familiar with.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-12-01 at 13:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
Lack of sharing of APIs and interfaces (other half and software). I realize this might have been because of not-yet-finalized components and I don't hold it against Jolla, but it seems/seemed a big issue. Revealing interfaces early on would have energized realistic projects which in turn would have inspired people to check out Jolla and Sailfish. We would have had ready solutions for launch, saving you work. The epic Other Half prototypes ready at launch would have distracted from the inevitable bugs. I think it would have been beneficial to set aside resources to settle this early (of course I don't know how possible that was).
I've posted about this sort of thing before: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...41#post1386341

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Note that jolla is actually using diaspora , unsure this can be used as a forum but that's nice to have alt to centralized chanels ...
While Diaspora* is great, it's not suitable for forum federation really. And it doesn't substitute a forum either. But it's great for being what it is - a decentralized social network built with free software. Kudos to Jolla for communicating through it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-01 at 16:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25120727

Large parts of the Sailfish code were open-source, which meant anyone could expand and adapt the platform, Mr Dillon said.

"We are ramping up our Jolla community right now.

"There's already a Sailfish website so that developers can come and contribute."

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
on a background info: talk.maemo.org never been owned or managed by Nokia - I mean even Nokia decided to rather ask Reggie to move InternetTabletTalk to a CNAME talk.maemo.org and support HIM with a petty payment for running the server where tmo lived. I'm pretty sure NO nokia employee ever had "root access" to this server, and you're more than welcome to check if you do now. In my book that's the key property that made this forum a success and even prevail while concurrent FMC faded away in oblivion, making those feel unhappy about futile effort done who contributed. And a community is not defined by a server where anybody has root accress to - it tells quite a story that you're trying to suggest you know about the community since you had root access to a server.

Since the day maemo (incl tmo) been handed to community, we (the community, via techstaff) are running and in exclusive control of this whole infra *), and Chemist (tmo maintainer) as well as maemo council offered several times to do everything needed to make Jolla feel happy with hosting their very own customized (incl skin and CNAME and moderators designated by Jolla and all) subforum here on tmo. NOT for any sort of customer support or helpdesk like the nokia "forum" referred to below, but for this very community to aporach it and stay in contact. No strings attached. We meanwhile don't even ask for financial support like Nokia did for Reggie since our infra is stable and financed by now.

Saying you're interested in the people that join here but not in the location/site itself is ... strange and kinda bizarre. Sounds *exactly* like meego.com and the hostile takeover that weakened both communities that basically been and always supposed to be one community.

did you read your colleague Carsten's blog?
Communication and openness

More contact with community where it is possible (not only open code but also open relations with community).

For now the news sources are mostly third party pages and it is hard to follow what is new and what is officially confirmed and not just only a rumor or gossip. In other words social networks like Twitter for communicating news are clearly not enough.
HERE is the place where it is possible.

And i'm not talking about stuff like http://developer.nokia.com/Devices/Maemo/ or http://developer.nokia.com/Community...sion/forum.php which is called "forum" but actually isn't related to any kind of community building (reflexive!). Nokia noticed that, at least occasionally. A community is not an asset of any project or company, and you can't move it or build it or manage and rule or possess it. Every community I've seen so far has a fine sense to notice such mindset. You can build a fanbase, but not a community. A community builds out of itself, all you can do is provide facilities. Reggie did.

PS: regarding bugtrackers - there are solutions where you can define visibility of tickets according to the domain they belong to, on a per-ticket or even per-comment granularity. Actually that's pretty much industry standard and no help desk would work without such tools.

cheers
jOERG
(councilor)

*) DNS still pending to get finally sorted.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-02 at 00:19.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
While Diaspora* is great, it's not suitable for forum federation really. And it doesn't substitute a forum either. But it's great for being what it is - a decentralized social network built with free software. Kudos to Jolla for communicating through it.
There also pump.io used by identi.ca and I think pump.io have better mobile API. AFAIK diaspora still has no "stable" clientapi

I think clientAPI is needed cause it would be great to have open socialmedia integrated in the feed screen).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
pump.io is actually even more limited than Diaspora*. Wouldn't help a forum for sure. Think of editing entries and federating all the changes between the nodes. Diaspora decided not to use pump.io for their own federation because of its limitations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: