Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Understood, but then, that is natural and normal and tends to filter accordingly.

Personally I have no problem at all with this site being power-user dominated. Nothing prevents other sites from springing up to fill additional niches. Our challenge here, again, is to route people appropriately and engage those who feel led to further their involvement beyond casual use.
After some more thought, perhaps you are right. It might be better to have another portal entirely for the "easy stuff" and us having routing here...

I'll vote on the brainstorm as soon as I'll manage to convince it I'm me (sign-up confirmation doesn't work, lol..)

The Following User Says Thank You to Suurorca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Kathy, I think it would be great if you could document what you're going through through this learning\exploration\discovery process from your 'new to maemo' viewpoint, as what has been seen cannot be unseen...

Just a thought

ps: voted the brainstorm
Reflection on the first fortnight. I'll try to blog a bit more regularly in the next few weeks, too, if it's any help.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Dragging this one up to say I blogged on my third week of being/not being maemo, here for anyone who cares.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Since the N900 is going to be what floods this site with new people, I suggest some form of N900 centric channel for whatever is decided upon and handling newbies. Perhaps the N900 delay is a blessing in disguise?

Only a few weeks to act!

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Put up my idea re routing the user to a greeter if they post an obvious newbie question (please vote!) - the advantages of which are that no additional effort is required on part of newbie, and very little on part of 'bouncer' while a friendly greeter can get karma for helping.

Like Kathy, I'd be interested in helping out on that and other newbie-related stuff. I'm not new, but I'd like to think I can connect with those who are because I maintain my childlike outlook

Rushmore, you're right, the inflow has already started I think, so time is important.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
New solution added! Please vote!

Solutions 1 and 3 have 9 votes apiece, and I'm ready to move forward with those two at least.

For #1 (Maemo Greeters) I will consult the council and Reggie and see what makes sense. This one is extremely easy to implement and we have at least a few people willing to pilot. I am leaning toward the original name of Maemo Greeters based on recent dialog on the subject.

For #3 (wiki page) there is a lot of scattered activity there that is starting to pull together. JosefA has done an admirable job on a demo for a new Intro page and that's a good start. Please comment on his and smarsh's work in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33577

Thanks all for your contributions, and please vote for any or all of the current Solutions if you have not yet done so, or add new ones if an idea occurs!

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ful_resources/

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-04 at 16:45.

I will soon be proceeding with a Maemo Greeters pilot, and as noted the wiki work is ongoing. I'd like a Brainstorm moderator to move these solutions forward, thanks (I understand if that's difficult now-- I'm having a horrible time just pulling the page up).

Proposed Maemo Greeter signature:

Hi! I'm a Maemo Greeter!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-04 at 18:00.