Hope for the best, Expect the worst....

Feb 24 isn't far off.

I'm flattered

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Hope for the best, Expect the worst....

Feb 24 isn't far off.
Feb 6 seems to be the date aka Today.

Release time.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...54#post1459754

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
...This suggests significant interest from OEMs.

They've done the right thing in delaying, rather than launching a half baked mess like Jolla did. ....

bQ event is on February the 24th for the launch of their low end Aquaris. It's thought that they'll announce a higher specced version at MWC.
Thanks. As Kangai said, I hope for the best. His second view, I don't share. I hope you are right about the OEMs as traction is a must - that was the basis for my feeling that if nothing happened in 1st quarter 2015, they may be in trouble, unless a big fish lands.

Expect the worst... if you expect the worst, it means you can prepare for it.

Like if you're in a strategic military base. You hope for no attacks, but you still expect the worst.

So with Ubuntu Phone, let's hope that its a legitimate iPhone-killer, but expect the worst case scenario that little to no progress has happened and perhaps the phone will be only available to developing nations on really cheap (and niche) devices out of our reach.

That way if they do debut anything worth checking out, at least psychology wise, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
... That way if they do debut anything worth checking out, at least psychology wise, we'll be pleasantly surprised.
I guess that is sensible. It would be a stunning achievement if they delivered something exceptional. That is, given the disparity of resources between what the current big-players had back when they first released and what the likes of Canonical, Jolla etc can command.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Expect the worst... if you expect the worst, it means you can prepare for it.

Like if you're in a strategic military base. You hope for no attacks, but you still expect the worst.

So with Ubuntu Phone, let's hope that its a legitimate iPhone-killer, but expect the worst case scenario that little to no progress has happened and perhaps the phone will be only available to developing nations on really cheap (and niche) devices out of our reach.

That way if they do debut anything worth checking out, at least psychology wise, we'll be pleasantly surprised.
I usually say "hope for the best, plan for the worst" Expect may be a little strong. It implies that you think that it is the most likely scenario. (maybe you do!) Where as "plan" means you are ready if things go awry...

Last edited by mscion; 2015-02-06 at 16:26.

Hate to say I told you so....

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/02/...paign=shortner

Just looking at the specs, there are better Android One devices out there for a cheaper price too.
And they have a better user interface plus a big ecosystem.

I mean $195 is what they're charging for this?!?
That's the same price as a Moto G.
And going one better, you could grab the Sharp Crystal which is even better than the Moto G (or Moto E or Android One devices) for only a stunning $150 !!!

In fact, you can buy for $199 a mint condition 16GB version of Samsung Galaxy S4.... phenomenal value!
It's not even far from $299 where a brand-new OnePlus One resides.

Is Canonical that arrogant to think they could warrant a high-price simply because it has their label ?
They'd have a better chance selling this in Africa, India, China, South America for the $50 that it is worth.

Hopefully we'll get something (A LOT) better in the near future.

#spleen: vented

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hate to say I told you so....
No, Kangal, you LOVE to say I told you so.

And no, one does not buy the first device from a newcomer to the market for the specs. One buys it because it offers an alternative, to support the brand and a miriad of similar reasons.

(Not that I am running to buy anything from Ubuntu, but that's another story.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Still significantly cheaper than the Jolla for better spec and build quality, and performs better on similar hardware than Sailfish.

Meizu devices will be much better, and there should be a 5" 1920x1080 with much better spec and less gigantic bezels from bQ soon. If leTV really are releasing the devices (with UP) that I posted about recently, those should absolutely fly with that kind of spec and be superb value too.

My main hope is that they change the way multi-tasking works sooner rather than later. Apps are still COMPLETELY frozen when not focused. Which makes absolutely no sense as they're targeting power users / techies / FOSS enthusiasts initially.

Still, they have a lot going for them ... not least a gigantic community of FOSS developers, who even if only a small % choose to work on apps, themes, software, custom ROMs or different UI paradigms for the phone / tablet flavour, it'll dwarf what Jolla and FF-OS can ever hope to have.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Still significantly cheaper than the Jolla for better spec and build quality, and performs better on similar hardware than Sailfish.
I think the prices is OK. Not insanely cheap and not like Jollas price point which was extremely high and unreal compared to spec.

If it better build and performance is hard to tell yet. I need it in my hand first hope to get it soon. Both Oses has good and week sides to work on...

Meizu devices will be much better and there should be a 5" 1920x1080 with much better spec and less gigantic bezels from bQ soon. If leTV really are releasing the devices (with UP) that I posted about recently, those should absolutely fly with that kind of spec and be superb value too.

My main hope is that they change the way multi-tasking works sooner rather than later. Apps are still COMPLETELY frozen when not focused. Which makes absolutely no sense as they're targeting power users / techies / FOSS enthusiasts initially.

Still, they have a lot going for them ... not least a gigantic community of FOSS developers, who even if only a small % choose to work on apps, themes, software, custom ROMs or different UI paradigms for the phone / tablet flavour, it'll dwarf what Jolla and FF-OS can ever hope to have.
Yes, sounds good to me.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-07 at 08:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013