Notices

Here is the latest available build for The Mana World.

(http://www.themanaworld.org/) is an 2D MMORPG that is open source.

It is a quick and dirty testing build to see what needs to be worked on.

From what I have played of it, they have made a LOT of improvements to the code because it runs a lot faster on my tablet than 0.0.24 did.

You need to install (apt-get install) as root the following libs from Extras-Devel

apt-get install libguichan-0.8.1-1
apt-get install libguichan-sdl-0.8.1-1
apt-get install libphysfs-1.0-0
apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-0
apt-get install libsdl-net1.2 (I did not have to install this one myself, but I might have for something else.)

I don't believe any other libs are needed (that we don't already have) because that is all my tablet complained about, however if there are others you need please let me know and I will update this post.

****************UPDATE 03-30-2009**********
DEB Package now available get it from http://www.n8ftl.com/maemo/

You must still install the libs listed above before the package will install.
This package installs the bin to /usr/share/games and the data to /media/mmc1 and does NOT include the music files.

If you have an N810 you can log in using the keyboard, however if you have an N800 you can set the username and password in the .desktop file after the exec statement

Exec=/home/user/tmw --username name --password password

Anyway, let me know what isnt working for you and I will do my best to fix it..

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 2009-03-30 at 14:10. Reason: Added link for deb package.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tobiasj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You forgot libguichan-sdl-0.8.1-1

And its actually working verrry good.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-03-21 at 18:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You forgot libguichan-sdl-0.8.1-1

And its actually working verrry good.
GAH I knew I would forget one...

And I am glad it is working well for you, I have wanted to do this one for some time (well since they locked 0.0.24 out of the server anyway...) but never felt it was one I could handle till now.

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 2009-03-21 at 19:38.

Dude, you read my mind! I was just looking through the games in Ubuntu's repositories (wondering what had changed since I looked about a year / a half ago), tinkered with Mana World and thought "man, I would fall in love with this if I had a computer on which I couldn't run a more graphically rich game..." then I found this thread. From YESTERDAY. Thanks for the efforts, Tobiasj

This also requires libsdl-net be installed before it will open.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-03-23 at 06:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Dude, you read my mind! I was just looking through the games in Ubuntu's repositories (wondering what had changed since I looked about a year / a half ago), tinkered with Mana World and thought "man, I would fall in love with this if I had a computer on which I couldn't run a more graphically rich game..." then I found this thread. From YESTERDAY. Thanks for the efforts, Tobiasj

This also requires libsdl-net be installed before it will open.
I have made request after request to the MMORPG's that I play on a regular basis to offer some kind of client API so that we could make chat or low res/low req clients to access them while mobile and it seems to always fall on deaf ears. (Yes, I know, they dont have the time or the resources to add that kind of major tech. BUT when they create a new 'version' or 'UPGRADE' that requires me to either, pay (buy the client) again or download an entirely new client they COULD have put at least the hooks into the engine..)

That is one of the things I like about TMW they went with a format that is basically playable on anything you can compile it for.

I would love to see a portable client for Asheron's Call, heck the engine is adjustable enough (graphically) that you might be able to port the full client to the N8x0. I was able to make it play in Debian using Wine so it can't be THAT intensive...(well ok it could but it really isn't at the low graphics settings) I have played it on windoze laptops that were NOT gaming machines in the least. Granted the 480 pixel height is a problem (I have played it on my OQO which is also 800x480) I am sure something could be worked out..

oh well, enough dreaming, I am off to kill more bugs in TMW...

-John

Thank you very much, I play TMW on a regular basis and will love having it on my N810. I will let you know of any problems after I install it tonight...

Does the sound work? I almost never have the sound turned up on my NIT but I decided to see what the sounds of TMW are and well, I dont get any.

I am going to d/l the deb binaries and see what it is supposed to sound like and then see what I can get working on the N810.

Also, I am going to change the mapping for chat from Return to KP_Enter and Return so that it seems more natural on the N810 then using the center button is.

(the desktop icon works now as well )

-John

Sorry, no sound

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Sorry, no sound

Yup, from running on my desktop I see there isnt a lot of sound to begin with but it certainly does not work on my tablet. I will look into that tonight. Is anyone intersted in adding the music to it? I didnt do that on purpose, but I could add it if anyone is interested... as a seperate install or something...

-John

I think music will be an overkill. It is running on 100% CPU already