Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Loving this thread! I'm glad I didn't run dist-upgrade on my friends N900 yesterday. He might have been upset.

I've been waiting to hear some recovery methods for the device, since I most likely will mess up my not-yet-recieved N900 once I get tinkering.
Don't worry, by the time the device is released you can download the firmware image and flash the device.

Also, people should remember to make backups of their valuable data.

Originally Posted by aboaboit View Post
With just the Nokia standard repositories enabled, I noticed that apt-get dist-upgrade showed a bunch of updates and, being my usual curious self, I immediately went ahead.

Unfortunately, this resulted in the removal of most of the important packages and now the device simply won't boot anymore.

I had a look around and only found flasher 3.5 but no firmware file. Question is, how do I recover the device?
Your device stopped working cuz we dont have a device and u have it ... as soon as we have our devices shipped your device will automatically start and smile, so dont worry

Well, even on the desktop I never run apt-get dist-upgrade without the '-s' parameter (which will just show what it plans to do, not start doing it). Then I carefully inspect what it intends to remove. If it looks dubious I don't go further, if it looks good I repeat the command without the -s option. And I often use it with plain apt-get upgrade too.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
dist-upgrade shouldn't hose a system for no particular reason though, so there's something in the repositories that it's trying to update to which actually causes all the fallout. The question is, what is it, and what's it doing there?

dist-upgrade can definitely destroy a system. This happens when a repository is in flux, as when upgrading large components. For example, over the last few months the Debian unstable repo has been upgrading KDE3.5 to KDE4. If you just did a mindless apt-get dist-upgrade during this transition you would end up with a system stripped of a huge part of your common KDE applications.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Oh, absolutely. But the Maemo repositories shouldn't be in any state that resembles Debian Unstable.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
apt-get dist-upgrade is not working properly , this is classical maemo trap since Nokia 770 days
Is there a bug filed? Or maybe dist-upgrade could be disabled from the Maemo apt-get, if it's so dangerous.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Is there a bug filed? Or maybe dist-upgrade could be disabled from the Maemo apt-get, if it's so dangerous.
Are you sure? Are you sure? Are you sure?

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by ymb View Post
And the default root password is in the
{FLAME-BAIT}whining about not being able to easily get root access is a good warning sign that you should not be attempting to get it!
Either you are a Windows user used to doing everything as administrator or a n00b u*ix-admin who has not yet typed "rm -rf / *" on a production server{/FLAME-BAIT}
Yes The other day I downloaded OpenOffice for my VM ubuntu, and what I got were 34 installer files, all of which seemed to be needed to be run independantly, and in a particular order.

What is up with that? Why not a single installer wherein you can select to which extent you wish to install the software/software suite?

This reminded me of the last days of Dos / Win 3.11 unzipping 27 individual floppies to illegally install a game.....That was in 1996.

[Flame-bait] Are lindux distributions today less user friendly than Windows 95 was when it was released? [/Flame-bait]

Last edited by olighak; 2009-10-13 at 10:46.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Yes The other day I downloaded OpenOffice for my VM ubuntu, and what I got were 34 installer files, all of which seemed to be needed to be run independantly, and in a particular order.
Thats rather odd, given OO.o is installed by default on Ubuntu...

Tags
doctorithurtswhenidothat, fubar, n900 reflash