Notices

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

some weeks ago i released the first version of osm2go in the extras repository. Osm2go is an editor for openstreetmap data. This is basically the opposite of maemo mapper. Maemo mapper fetches the map from the net to show it to you. With osm2go you can create mapping information to upload it to the openstreetmap servers (and to have it re-delivered to e.g. maemo mapper).

In the meantime it has evolved into a usable application. With the next upload scheduled for the next few hours all basic functionality will be there. I already managed to map the village where i grew up 30 years ago using nothing but my n810.

There's still tons of detail work ahead (fixing bugs, cleaning up the project management, adding small features, doing translations and a help file). But the main functionality is there.

See http://www.harbaum.org/till/maemo/index.shtml#osm2go for screenshots and some basic info.

Regards,
MoG

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2008-11-12 at 12:32.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I want to thank you for this killer-app that I was waiting for a long time ago

I tested it yesterday morning and map half that small village : it's really easy to use !

There were some bugs that crashed the app but it seems you already correct them in 0.6-2.
Now I've just one thing in mind : how could you know the direction of a way ? Putting oneway=yes is great only if we know that information.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Does it also work without an internet connection (i.e. the maps can be pre-downloaded to a local memory card) ?

Yes, it's what I've done:
I've downloaded the area at home (wifi) and loaded it after.
It only downloads .osm data via the OpenStreetMap api (and not tiles like Maemo Mapper) so it's really few data on the sdcard.

I wanted to chime in and say that this program is excellent. I just started editing with the openstreetmap community when I downloaded this program. The functionality is terrific so far. Using Maemo Mapper I can drive around with my osm repository loaded and note any discrepancies, then load a track into osm2go and fix things with no hassle. The coordinate import from Maemo Mapper feature is priceless.

I'm not sure what's in the works for future versions but I do have three small feature requests:
-ability to select a new/different project without closing the program
-ability to easily see when a project was last uploaded, and perhaps a field for me to summarize what changes I made last
-small help file including a basic rundown of Features - definition of present features as well as other acceptable labels (copy from osm wiki?)

I also have a bug that I can't seem to determine the conditions for. I keep trying to edit one Way in particular, and no matter if I'm moving a preset waypoint/node or add my own, osm2go asks me if I want to join this node with the one I dropped it on - but I'm not highlighting another node/waypoint. If I hit Yes, the Way drops off the bottom of the screen (as if I added the waypoint 10 miles south of where I'm editing). If I click No, nothing happens.
Editing from the osm website seems fine. It seems that there is a territorial boundary defined underneath the Way (an Area I think - which does end halfway through where I'm trying to edit), I don't know if this is interfering.

I will provide coordinates so that maybe someone can figure this out.

Lat/Long
Min: 41.62688* | -71.49312*
Max: 41.63608* | -71.46851*

It's the broken 2-road yellow way along the bottom left and mid-right side.

Last edited by Durango; 2008-12-01 at 04:22.

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Hi,
Now I've just one thing in mind : how could you know the direction of a way ? Putting oneway=yes is great only if we know that information.
That's on the todo list. I was playing around with small arrow heads on the selection layer (the yellow stuff), but that wasn't very easy to see, especially with lots of ways stacked on top of each other. So i think i'll do it similar to potlatch.

MoG

Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I'm not sure what's in the works for future versions but I do have three small feature requests:
-ability to select a new/different project without closing the program
-ability to easily see when a project was last uploaded, and perhaps a field for me to summarize what changes I made last
-small help file including a basic rundown of Features - definition of present features as well as other acceptable labels (copy from osm wiki?)
An improvement of the project management is on the todo list. The help file is currently out of scope since osm2go still undergoes too maany major changes. Once the feature set becomes stable translations and help files are sure something to add.

I also have a bug that I can't seem to determine the conditions for. I keep trying to edit one Way in particular, and no matter if I'm moving a preset waypoint/node or add my own, osm2go asks me if I want to join this node with the one I dropped it on - but I'm not highlighting another node/waypoint. If I hit Yes, the Way drops off the bottom of the screen (as if I added the waypoint 10 miles south of where I'm editing). If I click No, nothing happens.
Wow, that one sounds strange. I'll have a look at that.

I
Editing from the osm website seems fine. It seems that there is a territorial boundary defined underneath the Way (an Area I think - which does end halfway through where I'm trying to edit), I don't know if this is interfering.
This is fixed now. It was due to a bug (overflow) in the routine calculating the distance to other nodes. As the boundary in fact includes node several ten miles outside the working area this overflow happened and any node moved was joined with one of the boundary nodes.

Thanks again for reporting this. The fix will be included in the next release.

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Once the feature set becomes stable translations and help files are sure something to add.
I'm French so if you need translations...

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
This is fixed now. It was due to a bug (overflow) in the routine calculating the distance to other nodes. As the boundary in fact includes node several ten miles outside the working area this overflow happened and any node moved was joined with one of the boundary nodes.

Thanks again for reporting this. The fix will be included in the next release.
Excellent, thanks for checking into it