Closed Thread
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
You're missing the point. They're tested with the rest of Sailfish in as many different configurations as they can muster. They put a huge amount of work into QA. Much more testing that a build on openrepos, of which some aren't even tested on a real device.
Every time you see a package version with an extra bit on the end, it's because their QA have found problems and fixed them so the packages work on Sailfish. There are quite a few of them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
And again: even with proper testing, problems can occur. See Apple's iOS 8. So testing a package with a new system update (which is the same in iOS 8 due to its nature) doesn't say much.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
You're forgetting...
I am sure I was forgetting a lot of things in my imperfect analogy. I wrote it merely to illustrate how I made my decision. I consider an insecure shell on my phone a minor inconvenience that can wait till the next release. If I could not wait, then I would either let Johny fix it or, if I did not trust him, try to fix it myself. The third alternative, grumbling that it isn't fixed, just does not appeal to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
If Jolla were to ship a flasher, then that sort of thing would be significantly easier. Not having that means it's a much more complicated process, as messing it up (or more likely, us messing up) =~ send your device in for repair.

That's not to say it's a likely scenario. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I got my Jolla to an unbootable state while working at Jolla, and most of those were my fault. But it's still a valid problem.
the main issue that Stskeeps mentioned was Jolla themselves were not allowed to distribute the qualcomm binaries.

But couldn't the flasher/script pull them off the device being flashed beforehand and then build an image for flashing? Meaning it would only use what was already there, and hopefully would be within the legal lines

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
But couldn't the flasher/script pull them off the device being flashed beforehand and then build an image for flashing? Meaning it would only use what was already there, and hopefully would be within the legal lines
Wouldn't that somehow limit the usefullness of said flasher for fixing things like uninstalling the wrong thing or file system corruptions?

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'd lower my expectations. They said weeks ago that Update 9 (or 1.1.x, as far as I know) will, among other things, upgrade the Qt version to 5.2. This may not bring a ton of new features, but it's a huge task for Jolla. Also, I remember someone from Jolla saying that even the following update (10) will probably be more bugfixing (bugs from 9) than anything else, because update 9 is so ambitious that they just expect bugs to appear once it's out on users' devices.

I don't know when we'll get an OS update full of new features, but I'd assume it won't be 9 or 10.

(Update 9 should enable a few things in the app world, though. At least that was the plan at some point.)
Thanks for the information. However I don't understand why they put so much effort into updating to Qt 5.2, instead of stabilizing their current software stack based upon Qt 5.0.

BB10 still uses Qt 4.8 which works out quite well for them. Also Qt 5.2 isn't the latest and greatest as latest Qt stable is 5.3 and Jolla could always switch to a newer Qt release at a later point.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2014-10-04 at 03:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
QT4.8.x is a whole other story than QT5.x

QT4.8.x is at it's end of development and everything can be considered as stable. Wereas in QT5.x you got a lot of API's which are still being stabilized. You would never get more API's allowed in harbour without updating QT. And sure there is already QT5.3 released and QT5.4 as alpha released. But such big releases takes time and Jolla ain't BB with thousands of coders.

Also from what I read they had a few bad hacks/workarounds in Jolla's QT5.1 which they now fixed for QT5.2 using upstreamed versions which also took alot of manpower.

Last not to forget the new scenegraph renderer in QT5.2 which reduces memory consumption, CPU drawcalls and enables sane display scaling, so other resolutions can be used with less effort on UI code side.

Last edited by Morpog; 2014-10-04 at 07:46.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The update is now one month delayed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
The update is now one month delayed.
For ur Jphone maybe yes,but for the Jolla its different lol.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by aQUICK1 View Post
For ur Jphone maybe yes,but for the Jolla its different lol.
yep, and I totally fine with that. Just siting in my confy chair and counting minutes

What will come first? Jolla update or snow...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
edging, jollasoap, sailfish update