Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I would like to see more persistent phone status icons, for example currently it is too easy to dismiss a voicemail or sms notification and forget about it. Most phones put indicators into the status area when such an event occurs. I find myself forgetting about voicemails as I dismiss the initial message and then when I do check I've missed something from several days ago.

Also you should be able to set customizable reminders up on these events so that you will not easily forget.

I also agree with MartinNZ, but I would take this a step further - everything in the phones firmware should be linked together, for example:
1) contacts should be able to be added to the calendar
2) addresses in the calendar should be able to be linked to ovi maps and vice versa

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Certainly I agree. But how do you propose we accomplish that? I'm thinking we need a more detailed step-by-step outline of the expected process... at least for the Norming/Performing part.
Probably the first step is to knock out proposals in the Sandbox that are too vague, and see how we can deal with the proposals (like this one) that have become an non very manageable monster.

I think everybody understand that one discussion brings better results when it stays on focus. And that 7 focused discussions have more probabilities to end up in something sooner/better than one discussion trying to accommodate 7 different even if slightly related problems.

The simple truth is that "Solution #4: custom-sized speed dial desktop shortcuts" has nothing nothing to do with "Solution #5: shake to choose contact, phone to ear will call" or "Solution #6: Store and Handle preferred numbers Information".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Don't you think it is a good idea to split them into 4-5 different brainstorms?
Like "Improving contacts", "Improving calls", etc.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The simple truth is that "Solution #4: custom-sized speed dial desktop shortcuts" has nothing nothing to do with "Solution #5: shake to choose contact, phone to ear will call" or "Solution #6: Store and Handle preferred numbers Information".
But they ALL have something to do with the original proposal of improving the phone experience.

So I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it.

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Don't you think it is a good idea to split them into 4-5 different brainstorms?
Like "Improving contacts", "Improving calls", etc.
More proposals to keep up with. More risk of root issue overlap. And more potential mess if multiple solutions are still allowed.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
But they ALL have something to do with the original proposal of improving the phone experience.
The point is, that original proposal was too broad from the start. It should have been rejected by a Brainstorm moderator with a suggestion given to open a new brainstorm with a more narrow focus.

Finding the sweet spot for problem focus in Brainstorm is going to be like picking topics for term papers back in school.
  • Propose a topic too narrow, and your teacher will reject it because you'll only get an essay, not a paper, out of it. For us, that's the simple, yay/nay, "Default phone icon should be green, not blue"-type* stuff that belongs in Bugzilla, not Brainstorm.
  • At the other extreme, the teacher will also reject proposed term paper topics that are too broad, as you'd just wander aimlessly in that book-sized topic and never achieve a real point in your ten pages. In Brainstorm, that's "Make Maemo suck less"-type* stuff. Sure, widespread improvement is a worthy goal, but it needs to be broken into reasonably-sized chunks. Otherwise, as in this case, it becomes impossible to select a solution, implement it, and mark the brainstorm closed, because there are a dozen or more other, unrelated, but probably equally deserving, solutions hanging on.

* Yes, this is a stupid example. It's early, and I'm hoping it's just good enough that my point is conveyed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The point is, that original proposal was too broad from the start. It should have been rejected by a Brainstorm moderator with a suggestion given to open a new brainstorm with a more narrow focus.

Finding the sweet spot for problem focus in Brainstorm is going to be like picking topics for term papers back in school.
  • Propose a topic too narrow, and your teacher will reject it because you'll only get an essay, not a paper, out of it. For us, that's the simple, yay/nay, "Default phone icon should be green, not blue"-type* stuff that belongs in Bugzilla, not Brainstorm.
  • At the other extreme, the teacher will also reject proposed term paper topics that are too broad, as you'd just wander aimlessly in that book-sized topic and never achieve a real point in your ten pages. In Brainstorm, that's "Make Maemo suck less"-type* stuff. Sure, widespread improvement is a worthy goal, but it needs to be broken into reasonably-sized chunks. Otherwise, as in this case, it becomes impossible to select a solution, implement it, and mark the brainstorm closed, because there are a dozen or more other, unrelated, but probably equally deserving, solutions hanging on.
* Yes, this is a stupid example. It's early, and I'm hoping it's just good enough that my point is conveyed.
We have a profound difference in philosophy. I still think "umbrellla" proposals are the better way to go. IMO the "chunks" should be in the Solutions. But I see I am in the minority so I won't press it further. I just wish someone would propose usable alternatives instead of simply beating down everything I say. I haven't seen one yet.

Oh,. and it was my proposal, and I'm a moderator... maybe that is in error, too...

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-17 at 12:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
We have a profound difference in philosophy. I still think "umbrellla" proposals are the better way to go. IMO the "chunks" should be in the Solutions. But I see I am in the minority so I won't press it further. I just wish someone would propose usable alternatives instead of simply beating down everything I say. I haven't seen one yet.
If i understood people correctly they are only saying that brainstorms moderator should be bit stricter when choosing what topics are not too wide and not too narrow.

Itīs quite common problem for brainstorm to be too big. If problem expands or is too wide then you have to just split it in components. Off course its problematic when there is links between different areas. But I agree with qgil that some brainstorms might be too big already.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
If i understood people correctly they are only saying that brainstorms moderator should be bit stricter when choosing what topics are not too wide and not too narrow.

Itīs quite common problem for brainstorm to be too big. If problem expands or is too wide then you have to just split it in components. Off course its problematic when there is links between different areas. But I agree with qgil that some brainstorms might be too big already.
Again: it was my understanding the components were in the solutions.

I just don't understand why no one said anything until now, after my instructions have been up (and wrong) for months.

I would have rather had this dialog right after people read those posts (and Thanked them!) than put a lot of time into work that turned out to be ********.

I don't get it.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
We have a profound difference in philosophy.
I'm not debating philosophy. I'm explaining how our existing Brainstorm software has been designed to, and does, work.

I still think "umbrellla" proposals are the better way to go. IMO the "chunks" should be in the Solutions.
And I can see how that might be a great improvement. An ability to select one or more solutions to a given problem and promote them to a separate entity would sure help with this proposal. Please propose a change to Brainstorm in, well, Brainstorm, I guess.

In the meantime though, these "umbrella" proposals are working against the software and breaking the process. In this case, Quim wants to push within Nokia a phone software change the has community requested, but he can't do so without shutting down other good ideas.

I just wish someone would propose usable alternatives instead of simply beating down everything I say. I haven't seen one yet.
I'm not trying to beat you down or attack you. I'm just trying to explain that we don't yet have a can opener, so for now we have to use our hacksaw. It's inelegant, but if we want supper tonight, we have to make do.