I agree, and never said it was right, but it's called life not fair, right?

I guess we are all adults and have the luxury of making up our own minds.

I can afford a new N9, but should I get one given the limited numbers of apps and usual terrible Nokia support?

It's a genuine question. I like the look of the phone, UI looks great too, but there are better built and supported Android phones either already out or on their way...

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Cheers for the update, but it doesn't answer my principal worry over whether carriers will offer it subsidised on contract.

I had no doubt that i'd be able to buy an N9 from Play.com, etc, but the N900 was £450 sim-free when it arrived.

My T-mobile contract with an unlocked handset was £110 upfront followed by eighteen payments of £20, or £470.

Tell me why i would willingly pay the RRP for a phone in britain when i can get it along with eighteen months of calls, texts and internet for £20 more?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Cheers for the update, but it doesn't answer my principal worry over whether carriers will offer it subsidised on contract.

I had no doubt that i'd be able to buy an N9 from Play.com, etc, but the N900 was £450 sim-free when it arrived.

My T-mobile contract with an unlocked handset was £110 upfront followed by eighteen payments of £20, or £470.

Tell me why i would willingly pay the RRP for a phone in britain when i can get it along with eighteen months of calls, texts and internet for £20 more?
true. so take another popular high-class device (sgs 2...) and sell it on ebay. and with that money buy an n9!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
You may well be right, but at least I have my answers, not much point just sitting about speculating or b1tching - I can make up my own mind and move on.

Pretty sure that there is a life to be had beyond smart phones.

Originally Posted by zymo View Post
writing emails is imho useless. management made their decision thinking wp7 will be Nokias salvation. only the upcoming quarter results can make change their minds.

The Following User Says Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Yeah, but this one forgot to add 'Sent from my Windoze Phone' to his signature.
IMO those signatures are not meant as vanity tags ("oh, look at me, I've got a shiny $DEVICE") but as warnings/apologies ("please excuse the awful formatting of this message, I'm currently stuck with this POS and this is the best it can do").

Sent from my N900
That particular MUA is a perfect example, and its successor looks like it might end up being even worse.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Dear Mr Elop,

Please understand that I am not writing to you to rant about the WP7 direction, I accept the fact that Nokia did not believe Meego would bring them the level of success deemed necessary, rather I am worried that Nokia's WP7 marketing strategy will prevent me from acquiring a Nokia N9 on a typical carrier subsidised contract within the UK.

I have no doubt that I will be able to buy an N9 from etailers such as Play.com, etc, but the N900 which I have happily used since its UK launch was £450 sim-free when it arrived, whereas my T-mobile contract with an unlocked handset was £110 upfront followed by eighteen payments of £20, or £470 in total. I am very keen to own and use a Nokia N9 but question why, in the UK, I would willingly pay the RRP for a phone when I can get it along with eighteen months of calls, texts and internet for £20 more.

I understand that you would urge me to have a closer look at Nokia's new, and no doubt innovative, WP7 handsets that will be arriving in the near future, but I remain uninterested in them just as I remain uninterested in iPhones or Android phones. I merely seek reassurance that Nokia's UK product support for the N9 will not preclude UK carriers from offering this handset on contract?

If you can offer this reassurance then I will be a very happy person, and can promise to remain a happy Nokia customer for years to come.

Kind regards

JBT

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Now that's what I'm talking about! Good message, I hope you sent it.

Dear Mr Elop,

Please understand that I am not writing to you to rant about the WP7 direction, I accept the fact that Nokia did not believe Meego would bring them the level of success deemed necessary, rather I am worried that Nokia's WP7 marketing strategy will prevent me from acquiring a Nokia N9 on a typical carrier subsidised contract within the UK.

I have no doubt that I will be able to buy an N9 from etailers such as Play.com, etc, but the N900 which I have happily used since its UK launch was £450 sim-free when it arrived, whereas my T-mobile contract with an unlocked handset was £110 upfront followed by eighteen payments of £20, or £470 in total. I am very keen to own and use a Nokia N9 but question why, in the UK, I would willingly pay the RRP for a phone when I can get it along with eighteen months of calls, texts and internet for £20 more.

I understand that you would urge me to have a closer look at Nokia's new, and no doubt innovative, WP7 handsets that will be arriving in the near future, but I remain uninterested in them just as I remain uninterested in iPhones or Android phones. I merely seek reassurance that Nokia's UK product support for the N9 will not preclude UK carriers from offering this handset on contract?

If you can offer this reassurance then I will be a very happy person, and can promise to remain a happy Nokia customer for years to come.

Kind regards

JBT

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by oweng View Post

I can afford a new N9, but should I get one given the limited numbers of apps and usual terrible Nokia support?

It's a genuine question. I like the look of the phone, UI looks great too, but there are better built and supported Android phones either already out or on their way...
I have to agree with that. The N9 is really, really a nice device and the UI is just gorgeous! But considering the fact that Nokia itself doesn’t support its own awesome baby makes me sometimes think it could be the wrong decision to purchase that awesomeness. And when i thinking of the hardware of the sgs2 combined with Android Ice cream sandwich, which will have kinda the same UI like Honeycomb (I like!), makes the N9 sadly less attractive (for me).

Then again after watching some N9 Hands-on videos and seeing this wonderful UI my concerns suddenly disappear

Last edited by zymo; 2011-08-11 at 10:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
.... and my N900 still works perfectly fine, so do I just wait and see how well or badly the N9 is received, and to see what else comes out.

You never know WP8 might be some kind of N9 clone???

Originally Posted by zymo View Post
I have to agree with that. The N9 is really, really a nice device and the UI is just gorgeous! But considering the fact that Nokia itself doesn’t support its own awesome baby makes me sometimes think it could be the wrong decision to purchase that awesomeness. And when i thinking of the hardware of the sgs2 combined with Android Ice cream sandwich, which will have kinda the same UI like Honeycomb (I like!), makes the N9 sadly less attractive (for me).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about! Good message, I hope you sent it.
i did. will it get a reply tho.........

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London

Lucky you, last time I compared the prices for an iphone, it was 200£ more expensive for the subsidezed version (same contract, same phone, also on T-mobile)