Active Topics

the issue stems from the fact that the phone has a US IMEI number, meaning that the warranty is void here, however that is why I rang Nokia to confirm if they could help me, which they said they could do, they just could not replace the device, but could do a repair for me.

Now i have someone higher up doing the old apology song and saying that is incorrect information.

I've sought some legal advice, and sent nokia a list of 12 things they have done wrong with me in this situation- ranging from having one of the call centre girls put me on loudspeaker and me hearing them laughing at my anger, to nokia not releasing the n900 here until last week, to my 60 days of going to chatswood to find out about my n97s, to the fact that i keep getting promised call backs that don't happen, to the fact that 2 different pieces of information have being given to me, to the fact that if this is such a basic bit of hardware engineering that should have taken 10 minutes of a technician's day, all because I did the right thing.

I've forwarded all this to the government ombudsmen(and DFT) and told them I was calling today tonight and a current affair- and lo and behold I was delegated a case manager.

turns out all you have to do is threaten their public image. but no, I'll pop in to the topic to a)let you know what happened, and b)if i get screwed take pics and DIM....

cheers guys

Ps, I should have made it clearer, that wasnt MY usb port, mine stil has all the "grip" bits intact, and the red pasty bits are not uneven like that.

Last edited by PipBoyBSOD; 2010-06-01 at 09:55.

Hello

I have N900 with broken USB and fix it by my self.

If you have electric soldering iron you can do it

Costs recovery:
- $2 new USB
- 2h (disassembly, find the connecting, fix, assemblage

I'm from Poland (Wroclaw) if someone want i can help.

EDIT: FATAL! See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...41#post1018141 as well

Last edited by chemist; 2012-06-28 at 19:43.

The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to mipo For This Useful Post:
Ok, so having evaluated the phone and having the repair completed with the result of "pcb damaged- too expensive to repair", Nokia is deeming whether im worthy of special treatment and have my device replaced.

I was wondering how nokia's definition of "damaged" compares to the real world's definition. ie would a man in a tech repair store consider a phone "damaged beyond repair" by nokia to be a cakewalk 10 minute job which his 3 year old baby could do blindfolded?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
It's not worth nokia spending the time and money fixing it.

30 minutes for a nokia tech would be maybe $50?

The N900 would cost them around $20 (+/-) to produce.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by PipBoyBSOD View Post
Ok, so having evaluated the phone and having the repair completed with the result of "pcb damaged- too expensive to repair", Nokia is deeming whether im worthy of special treatment and have my device replaced.

I was wondering how nokia's definition of "damaged" compares to the real world's definition. ie would a man in a tech repair store consider a phone "damaged beyond repair" by nokia to be a cakewalk 10 minute job which his 3 year old baby could do blindfolded?
Your informative posts are somewhat disturbing about the way your being treated by Nokia care staff OMG.
Don't they realise the usb port is in fact known now worldwide to be a DESIGN FAULT? and deemed to be replaced ?.
It is so sad to read how they are treating their own customers.

Originally Posted by mipo View Post
Hello

I have N900 with broken USB and fix it by my self.

If you have electric soldering iron you can do it

WOW i got to congratulate you on having the guts to do your own repair well done.
Ok it might well be a little bit ugly but hey if it works so what !.
Your giving inspiration to everyone who is worried about this when Nokia will not repair but i seriously think a precident needs to be created against Nokia regarding this usb replacement problem that can be used by every N900 owner who will eventually get this problem.

For those interested that want to to a PREVENTATIVE repair before it comes off is to look at the pics and either side of the usb port, scrape away the paint and solder the case a lot more to the m/b and on the left side looking at the port from the front there is a casing that you can stretch a piece of solder braid wider, fill it with solder and use that to attach the case of the usb port to the nearby metal shield making a rear solid fix to the port itself making it near on impossible to leave the m/b by pushing the usb lead into the port itself.
Ok its a botch situation for a botched design but it will keep your N900 working as far as usb goes.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Your informative posts are somewhat disturbing about the way your being treated by Nokia care staff OMG.
Don't they realise the usb port is in fact known now worldwide to be a DESIGN FAULT? and deemed to be replaced ?.
It is so sad to read how they are treating their own customers.
My case manager was unaware of the acknowledged design fault, I actually had to email him links(including the ones in this forum) so that he could use that information as a mitigating factor in deciding whether nokia would help me. I am positive the fact I have the transcript of the call operator putting me on loudspeaker to her teammates will mean I should get a shiny new n900- golden rule of the call centre is you never ridicule a customer, especially one who is as verbally damning as me.(eg, if i get no help, I'm sending my story to all the gadget websites, any blogs about nokia, any facebook pages about nokia, anything)

Yes, and the 5 N97s that would not have GPS functionality, even as I walked out of the store, showing the manager of nokia centre each phone failing to do what it was supposed to, in perfect weather with agps turned on.if that was HP or Asus, I would have been immediately given an upgraded product as a matter of Customer Satisfaction and my balls would have been sucked dry in that they would not want to lose me as a customer.

I have spent $2k on this and the n97, and another $1k in time spent talking to nokia. shocking.

the main problem for me was simple- Because nokia's best product in my country was the dreaded n97, I was forced to continue my relationship with their company by purchasing the phone from another country. at the time, my choices in this country were - N97 Mini, Iphone 3gs, HTC Magic, Blackberry Storm or wait until last week to buy an n900 here, at an absurdly higher price.

What pisses me off more than anything is if i rang up, said I was an american working in the country for 2 years, and my phone broke, I would have had no problem getting the phone replaced.

how is it smartphones these days do not have a global warranty? the products are designed to run in every country, the Ads from nokia show me people who own nokias like to have holidays, so where is the massive disconnect occuring? and if they are so worried about knock-offs, why not release their products F*&KING GLOBALLY.... ahem.

But yes, essentially nokia have wiped their hands of the phone's repair, it is now up to the 15 things nokia did wrong by me- 2 more promised call backs which did not happen, and when I rang at 7:30pm(call centre hours 8-8) no supervisors were still there added to the 12 from yesterday.

All because I didn't want to void a warranty which apparently never existed.

Last edited by PipBoyBSOD; 2010-06-02 at 09:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to PipBoyBSOD For This Useful Post:
Ok keep at them in every way you can and also give them evidence of the costs involved on phone calls and please let us all know on here what is the end result and GET NAMES ok of everyone and the times etc.
If need be the very forum that Nokia created will be their downfall as far as trying to mislead and con people out of a design fault replacement.
Good luck and keep up the good work for everyone on this community.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE EVERYONE READING THIS THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM ABOUT GETTING REPLACEMENTS FOR THE DESIGN FAULT AND NOT A SNUB AGAINST THE DEVICE ITSELF SO PLEASE DON'T START ANY AGGRESSIVE TALK.

What do you mean by "But yes, essentially nokia have wiped their hands of the phone's repair" ?.