Active Topics

hi all,

i seem to have what doing a search of the forums is a not entirely uncommon problem, but i've not yet been able to find a solution yet !

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ckages+missing

i'm on a nokia 810 which when i first got it a month or so ago installed apps just fine - omweather, mauku, canola, gpodder, mplayer, etc; there were a few apps which wouldn't install, such as xournal & carman, but i figured i could live without them, thinking the problem was isolated.

then after a couple of weeks i started to get update notifications for the installed apps, but when i tried the app manager said it couldn't install most of the updates saying 'application packages missing', giving the various lists.

eventually i thought maybe the problem was with my (bought second hand) device, so i flashed the os to the lasted os2008 using the windows nokia tablet flasher thingy as described at

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

making a backup first, naturally.

when it came to reinstall the apps, pretty much most of the previously working ones now won't install, with the application packages missing error. a specific example is gpodder, which tells me this:

libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2.1)
libncurses5 (>= 5.7-1)
upstart

etc

similarly trying to install the latest version of mauku (2.0-beta4update2) as available as a .install file from the os2008 downloads area tells me these application packages are missing:

libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.24.0)
libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2-1)
libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.4)
libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.76)

& a whole load more.

in searching the forums i've seen mention of enabling repositories in the application manager, but those seem to be n900 specific rather than for the n810; i can't find a place in the n810 application manager to enable repositories which might bring in these missing libraries / packages.

where am i going wrong ? is there a solution which i can do from the vanilla console, since i wouldn't say i'm desparately knowledgeable when it comes to getting my hands dirty in xterm !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to star-one For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya

thanks - but i've been having this problem for a few weeks rather than just the last few days; or has there been a problem with the repository for the last few weeks ?

The Following User Says Thank You to star-one For This Useful Post:
i've managed to fix it myself - it appeared that the maemo 5 extras repository was installed & enabled, which (presumably) was making the application manager for the apps look for more advanced versions of the library incompatible with the device; i guess the previous owner might have been fiddling.

so for the benefit of anybody else who gets the same problem, here's how i solved it:

open application manager
from the menu bar at the top, select tools -> application catalogue
scroll down the list to maemo extras

there may be several so-labelled - if you edit them in turn, there may be one of them where the distribution is labelled fremantle - tick the box to disable that catalogue.

& then let the application manager whirr & grind to itself.

that way you should be able to install things previously broken.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to star-one For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
I have the same problem, i will need to look at my repositories. but currently my device is in a constant restart loop after firefox gave me an error saying i should restart the device cuz a process is allready running and not responding.

Originally Posted by star-one View Post
i've managed to fix it myself - it appeared that the maemo 5 extras repository was installed & enabled, which (presumably) was making the application manager for the apps look for more advanced versions of the library incompatible with the device; i guess the previous owner might have been fiddling.

so for the benefit of anybody else who gets the same problem, here's how i solved it:

open application manager
from the menu bar at the top, select tools -> application catalogue
scroll down the list to maemo extras

there may be several so-labelled - if you edit them in turn, there may be one of them where the distribution is labelled fremantle - tick the box to disable that catalogue.

& then let the application manager whirr & grind to itself.

that way you should be able to install things previously broken.
Thank you so much Star-One. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow. I thought I was getting that message because I was unable to flash in any of the Diable .bin files.

Thanks Star 1
Saved a lot of searching,
Doubt it was the previous owner, I got that freemantle fault and I didn't put it in myself

love it...star-one...thx soo much. I just got my n810, and thought i did something wrong (maybe so...). and saw your solution and i'm thrilled, as I'm really just learning all of this..and now i don't have that 'hopeless' feeling..lol. thanks again

Thanks alot. It's been a problem for ages . You are the ((man)) !

hey I registered just to thank star-one!