Honestly now, how many 770's do we need to send back to nokia?

One more thing is this a true hardware failure and what "PART" of the hardware fails.

Too many people say "it's the screen" then we have the few that say its a chip.

I would like to know what it is that fails and have a 100% true answer. I mean with a few hours of work and the part needed to replace the faulty CHIP??? or whatever it is would be worth it to me.

Or to even know if I can use a WSOD screen in a machine that has a cracked screen as a replacement would be great.

This WSOD problem needs to be addressed, I mean how many times does nokia need to have one persons 770 in there hands?

Lets see if we can get an answer:

What fails?

Why does it fail?

Can a skilled computer tech replace the faulty part instead of just bandaiding the problem by replacing the screen?

If we can fix this ourselves, how much are the parts?

Come on guys lets see if we can get anywhere with this as there are alot of WSOD 770's out there just collecting dust.

Thanks

Rick

OK so 47 people looked in less than 8 hours which means there is interest in this!

What do we need to do to get the ball rolling? I would be willing to tear apart the two 770's I have here to get picture and anything else I can.

Let sdo this people, we all love our original ITT's dont we?

Rick

47 people but not many of those have engineering skills I think, dude.

When I brought in my WSOD'd 770 to the Nokia reseller/repair shop, it happened to be the kind of self-reliant place where they try to fix everything themselves first. The guy was excited about getting to work on a 770, he actually pried it apart and examined it for two hours, clearly thinking he could revive it right there. But then something made him realize that he couldn't do it himself and had to send it in anyway.

Never explained it to me, but then I probably wouldn't have understood it anyway.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the impression i have from threads here on the forum is that its the control chip of the display thats at fault. but the problem seems to be that said chip is built into the display somehow so to replace it, one have to replace the whole display or something...

usually (speaking from exp. on notebooks) the control chip(s) are usually on the PCB that is directly behind, and attatched to the LCD panel. on this unit there may only be one chip. It will be surface mount, and very delicate. The PCB is probably not bad, but to get this chip off, it would have to be disconnected from the LCD which could be complicated depending on how it is attatched. (could be epoxy for all I know, I have never had my 770 appart)
If the PCB can be separated without damage, a simple heat gun would be enough to remove the chip, and assuming you could get a replacement, it would be simply a matter of reversing the process.
-ezra

Ezra,

Thank you, a constructive answer. I am going to pull the one 770 I have here that is WSOD and see what I can see.

The next step is to figure out is how to identify the chip and gather info on what other products might use it so that we can scavenge the part or to find a replacement thru a supplier.

If thats not doable then we need to figure out if we can pull that control pcb off the screen and place a cracked screen pcb in it's place.

I got nothing working right now its slow time so I am going after this!!

Join in if you feel like it.

Rick

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
here are pictures of the LCD part

The display name is LPH8923-1 but maybe the part name to search for has different code.

I've seen it on some german site for ~120EUR, link is in this forum somewhere.

EDIT:
here is also another detail

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-24 at 16:57.

OK guys,

This has gone on long enough, most of the parts on the screens PCB are common.

Most small electronics have these. I will get a list of the parts and resource a place to purchase all of them and just replace all the chips.

Granted it would be easier if we could ask Nokia which one is bad.
They would probably give it up if we told them that we will repair them our selves and void our warranties.

Also fanoush can you get me a clear zoomed image of the PCB and the chips you seem to have a better camera than mine and I can't read the numbers on mine. this is repairable and probably pretty darn cheap and less time consuming that running it to CRAPKIA and waiting till their thumbs come out of their butts LOL

So I will get to work on sourcing the parts and from there we will have to get crackin.

Also if any one wants to donate a dead 770 to the cause let me know.

If I get your WSOD nokia to work I will happily send it back.
I dont need any just woul be nice to have a few more to work with.

Or if you have any WSOD screens from your own repacements let me know.

Thanks for the pics, now we need a schematic of that pcb to work with to maybe we can find that?

Thanks guys

Rick

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
Thanks for the pics, now we need a schematic of that pcb to work with to maybe we can find that?
Calm down fella and try searching...! 770 and N800 schematics were posted long ago on the forum, and while I admire your enthusiasm to fix the WSOD I think you're out of your mind!

I am posting from my 770 at work, so this will be fast, (more to come later) I see on the ribbon cable/pcb, that there is a 8pin sdip chip. Can you get the number from that for me? Looking at this I would say that that is probably NOT the controller. But I would like to check it out, I expected a chip with alot more pins than that.
Has anyone tried to swap a WSOD screen sub assembly with a good one?

Because just a guess, but the chip may be under the metal housing behind the illumination panel. See how there is a separate ribbon going into the housing on the left? That would be for the CFL inverter assy, so if they have the inverter inside, it would stand to reason that the controller could be inside as well.
any chance of further dis-assembly?
-ezra