@luketho, i got the same issue, but then i was running kismet from xterm as user and it works like charm!

Hi tbb,

You mean if you used user it works, but if you sudo gainroot and used kismet it doesn't?

How do you use it as a user? I'm still new at this, so learning along the way.

Luke

yeah luketho, that is what i supposed to mean. But today it doesnt work as user anyway

My guess is that the N800 software is yanking back control of the wireless interface from Kismet due to some sort of background scanning "feature," but this is pure speculation. Does anyone have a firmer grasp of what is going on, so we can work towards fixing the problem. Kismet is one of the most useful apps for the N800 and it would be a shame to have to downgrade to use it.

Dragorn from Kismet wrote on Kismet Blog that the shipping drivers for the N800 seem to be having problems relating to RFmon or channel changing. This may be the cause of the problems that N800 users have recently seen in OS 2007 Release 3. He suggests trying to use the drivers from https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cx3110x/ instead.

Has anyone tried these drivers with Kismet (on OS 2007 release 3) and if so, what success did you have? Could anyone compile these and maybe build a package? Installation seems a little involved right now, particularly if you don't have a build environment set up.

Hi, I compiled the module, loaded it but the situation doesn't change: after 10 seconds (in the better situation) kismet stops sniffing.
In attach I put the compiled module (unzip it with gunzip), to insert it you can follow the instruction on https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cx3110x/.

Bye, Scegliau
Attached Files
File Type: zip cx3110x.ko.zip (26.2 KB, 395 views)

Yep, not working here either with either original or new kernel module (thanks for the .ko, scegliau!). There is a process running that respawns itself when killed called wlancond. Anyone know what it's for, and more importantly, what's responsible for respawning? Is it dbus? That's the only thing that looks at all WLAN left running on my device, I've killed everything else.

Some more debugging tried: See this thread for details, but basically I reflashed to the older firmware, got kismet up and running, set up boot from MMC, then flashed the new image onto the device, then booted from MMC, so I was running the old image. However, due to the way dual-boot works, this means I have the old image running on the new kernel. Kismet behaved the same way as with the new image, it started up, and quit scanning in 3 seconds. I guess this means it's some sort of kernel issue?

I tried both the original and Scegliau's cx3110 drivers, with no difference.

Hi All.
I just got a N800 and I've lurked a lot.
I have last firmware and installed last update plus wireless-tools, kismet, dsniff,tcpdump.
Its quite weird.At first, I believed that it wasn't going in monitor mode properly.
But then I put my AP in NO-SSID and checked that with kismet.
I could see the network and it would also find the real name in notime.
But I don't get why both tcpdump and dsniff (with urlsnurf as well) wouldn't sniff the traffic.
It works only with monitor mode disabled and only for local data.
In promiscuos mode doesn't work.
TCPDUMP kind of works sometimes, without options but, whatever.
The network is on G only mode..

Thanks for any help

Marlaw,

so kismet works perfectly for you on your N800? It doesn't stop picking up updates after 10 secs?