Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
There's a story behind this release...

Back in early 2010 I found my new love, my shiny new N900 . I'm not a proper dev, sys admin is my forte (although I do like to also think of myself as a semi-competent hacker) but one of the first things I played about with was with building stuff, initially on the device under EasyDebian, then later with the proper SDK rootstrap and eventually on my PC under Scratchbox (rather backwards, I know :P). Curious as I was, I wondered how hard it would be to port desktop Linux games to the N900 so I decided to look for something entertaining that no one had ported yet and came across Steven Fuller's Linux port of Aliens versus Predator. Without too much trouble I got it to build but then I had the problem of tracking down the game and finding a Windows machine that I could install it to in order to get the game data files to be copied to the N900. Eventually I got the little bastard running my N900. I soon found out about some of the N900's quirks such as that the Enter key actually maps to the Keypad Enter key and discovered where to fix it in the AvP source code. So I finally had the game running, the only problem was that it was unplayable, it was bloody slow. I wasn't ready to give up. I planned to do a Harmattan port thinking that maybe the better hardware would solve the slowness problem. Eventually I discovered that the problem was that it wasn't using hardware accelerated video and I would need to port it from OpenGL to OpenGL ES. After learning some GL/GLES and some lame attempts to port it, I gave up.

Fast forward to March this year and I happened to stumble onto this! My agony was finally over. I applied my feeble changes, encountered another problem, fixed that (or rather worked around it) and now it works full speed on the N900 at 600MHz! No lame life-shortening overclocking required!

You're probably wondering why I'm only releasing this now when I had this working 9 months ago. Well I did want to perfect it but never got around to it. There's still a problem with unreadable in-game text/menus and I haven't figured out why it's not working on Harmattan. I haven't looked at it since March and I doubt I will look at it again so I better warn you now that this is both the first and last time you'll hear from me about it. I won't be providing a deb package, nor will I upload it to the repos, nor will I provide a Thumb build. My modifications can be found here so feel free to finish it off.

By the way, here's a little hint. The unreadable text I mentioned was actually readable before the GLES port and I experienced the same problem with my lame porting attempts so it's probably caused by over-zealous GLES conversion.

See the original README for general info on how to get this running but here's a short summary from what I remember:
  • You'll need SDL and OpenAL (other missing dependencies can be found by running "ldd avp").
  • Use AvP Gold Edition (this is what I tested).
  • The game data files do not actually need to be renamed to lower case if you place them on a FAT32 slice (i.e. MyDocs).
  • Set the AVP_DATA environment variable to point to the directory containing the game data.
  • As well as remapping KP_ENTER, I've remapped the ESCAPE key to the COMMA key (this is possibly undesirable if you already use a custom key map).

Oh, and one more thing. I highly recommend you play this using Accelemymote as using the touch screen for turning is rather crap.

To overcome the TMO attachment size limitation I've split this up into 2 files. You can extract them on the N900 as follows:

Code:
cat avp1.gz avp2.gz | gunzip > avp
Merry Christmas TMO! Enjoy!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: gz avp1.gz (488.3 KB, 239 views)
File Type: gz avp2.gz (475.8 KB, 224 views)

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2014-12-24 at 07:02. Reason: Added screenshots

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
i got AvP Classic 2000 for free for signing up to GOG Galaxy beta. If I get chance over holidays I'll see if data files from that will work.

nice to see I'm not the only one posting game packages for christmas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I haven't looked at it since March and I doubt I will look at it again so I better warn you now that this is both the first and last time you'll hear from me about it. I won't be providing a deb package, nor will I upload it to the repos, nor will I provide a Thumb build. My modifications can be found here so feel free to finish it off.
I really hope that someone competent enough put it into the repos - it really deserves that. Also, being in repos could motivate non-religious TMO readers (or non-readers, at all) to take care of it, fixing existing bugs. It would be a shame if it got buried in never-ending stream of TMO threads.

Nice story behind release, BTW! I also got compiling for N900 "backwards", but I'm at earlier stage - I still don't have scratchbox env on my desktop :P

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
AVP gold on N900... that is fantastic! Thanks for great work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Sorry about abandoning this so abruptly. I just have very little interest left in it and would rather focus my time and efforts on DebiaN900. I thought it would be better to get it out there in its current state rather than let it rot on my N900.

I'm sure someone will come forward and give it the necessary attention.

P.S. I also have working but unfinished builds of the Dragon 32/Dragon 64/CoCo emulator XRoar if anyone is interested in them for the N900 and N950 (N9 with a Bluetooth keyboard should also work in theory).

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Thanks for this.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
P.S. I also have working but unfinished builds of the Dragon 32/Dragon 64/CoCo emulator XRoar if anyone is interested in them for the N900 and N950 (N9 with a Bluetooth keyboard should also work in theory).
Definetly intrested.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Insanely cool!

Love the multi-player Alien-tag mode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Now that there is support for Maemo in openrepos.net, it couold also be uploaded there.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
a v p, aliens, colonial marine, predator