Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I know it's pre-alpha, but here are some things that bothered me right off the bat:

1: the menu button looks as if none of the maemo 5 minimalism carried over (which is odd, because judging from some other icons it appears that it has)

2: I'm not liking the card system of switching apps, the thumbnails from Maemo 5 worked just fine, although I've heard that will also be an option which doesn't make it so bad. I guess it's nice to have different options.

3: So much redundant space! I wish the text was closer to the icons and that they were 4x4 (or maybe even 4x5), also I really dislike the iPhone styled scrolling, it just makes very little sense.

4: Personally, I liked slide-to-unlock more but anyways, the position of the icon looks a bit uncomfortable although I've seen that it will be on the bottom as well. Other than personal preference, I think this is actually ok.

Anyways, it's pre-alpha so most of this will be improved, so while I know I'm basically complaining about how the unfinished product is unfinished, I wanted to say something anyway. If I take the unfinished state of this into consideration, then it's pretty obvious that MeeGo will actually end up looking totally rad.

Sorry for the TL;DR rant :P
The iPhone styled side-scrolling actually makes a lot of sense. I easily have over 90 menu items on my N900 and it's a lot easier to see 12 menu items at a time than having to scroll up and down til I find what I want

The Following User Says Thank You to EverythingBlaxx For This Useful Post:
no panorama-desktops anymore? too bad

I think for the typical n900 user who needs the phone to keep working in a normal state its probably worth waiting for the enhanced and more stable release in Oct.

beta testing an entirely new os on your primary handset is probably not a good idea.

Rock on meego developers! cant wait till the 1.1 release in oct

The Following User Says Thank You to n900faniam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I really don't see what the fuss is all about...

Is it about the look of the UI & desktop? that's really subjective...

Is it about functionality and app accessibility? I can already access anything in my n900 with a tap ...

Is it about better power management and performance? My n900 runs at least 48 hours with music, browsing, calls and gaming...

Is it about customization? I make my own wallpapers, never seen screen shots of desktops with the same button-shortcut-widget-contact arrangement. No N900 is exactly the same as another...

Is it about connectivity and compatibility? Never had any issue connecting or transferring or synchronizing with my pc, notebook or other mobile devices. Wifi never failed to cennect and I have downloaded torrents as fast as 1.1 Mb/sec

Is it about media playing? Especially now that shake2control is out, I can't get enough of it. Will you really ever watch 1080p movies on your phone? The screen can't give you more than 800X480 wake T F up!

After all, all hi tech gadgets are today's breakthrough and tomorrow's old news. Haven't you figured that out yet?

So really, what is all the fuss about?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The new build from 1.1 pre-release is just a small .ks file. You have to completely build your own.

If you build a ubiimg it is 500+MB in size. The maximum the N900 internal flash can hold is 256MB.

So there is definitely going to be issues getting MeeGo with the full UI loaded into the flash memory of the N900. Which is unfortunate.

If it ever gets stable enough to truly use, whats likely going to happen is we'll have to install it to the internal 32GB SD or keep it on an External and just do a permanent kernel flash that boots from SD.
And what's wrong with putting the OS in the eMMC? From booting nitdroid and using it on a class 2 microSD I think the benefits of the oneNAND are kinda overrated IMHO.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
And what's wrong with putting the OS in the eMMC?
It's slower. However, from what Nokia has said on the mailing lists, they're working on minimizing that slowdown so Harmattan can use eMMC for its rootfs. Presumably, the fruits of that labor will be available for MeeGo-on-N900 developers to use, so the N900 should suffer no performance hit from using eMMC beyond that which affects all other MeeGo offerings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Progress.

Current status: cutting fat off, no functionality lost.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
can someone upload the flashable image?
i dont know how to create one

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
Current status: cutting fat off, no functionality lost.
FAT support or just fat like fat people?

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
any update?
can the device get ota updates when new software features like telepathy support arrives or do we have to reflash?
anyone found out anything new?