Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
7.. Briest.

I like all the color, and the 'soft focus' gives it an impressionist feeling.

(Live) fish are.pretty tricky with the slow lens and slow shutter of most camera phones.

I was hoping to put my old S-E K550i in a baggie and try it in neighbors' koi pond but ran out of time and lost track of the phone as well. I think hardware shutter release button would have worked ok, as opposed to capacitave screen on recent devices. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for playing!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
i vote for No 3 Pichlo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Late? You would be disqualified on at least 4 out of the 7 competition rules:
- Photos must be taken during this month
- Photos must be taken by the posting member
- Photos must be taken with a camera phone
- Users post only one photo per entry
- Users can change the entry only once
- Users must name the phone they used (so I could include it for voting)

- Last three days of this month are for voting

come on, just kidding man

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Fishy pictures all First my quick critics of each image.

#1. saponga;
Nice recurring mural, however as it is a pattern piece I'd like to have seen it either straight on (so that the pattern would be totally uniform) or taken at even more slanting angle, creating vertical or horizontal lead lines.

#2. hedayat;
I was not aware that "old-fashioned-goldfish-bowls" even exit any longer! This image yearns for better background, non-smudged glass and definitely a sigeways lighting, the flash pretty much ruins it. Otherwice, the colourful fish in a bowl would be nice subject.

#3. pichlo;
Argh, the picture is too small again, cannot make out detail! (I vaguely remember bitching about the same thing before...)
Anyway the unicorn is a cool detail and the lighting is snap-on. The main subject is fishy enough for me.

#4. catbus;
Good idea but capturing glass objects on a glass background is a hellish job, and can make the end result look a bit flat, with unwanted reflections all over the place.

#5. mosen;
Really delicious setup! Love the DoF and tasty colours. This is clearly an image that was well-thought-of before capture.

#6. spfoo;
Way too dark for my taste, however the eye is a nice catchpoint. Maybe crop just a bit so the lighter distractive detail in the left bottom corner would be dropped off, and then add just a tad of sidelight.

#7. briest;
Just lovely light green, unfortunately the ceiling lamp reflections lessen the punch... Also as the details of the fish are small, the image should not be fuzzy/shaken.

----

And my winner is #5. mosen

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I was not aware that "old-fashioned-goldfish-bowls" even exit any longer!
No, they've considered their exit a while ago but then changed their mind

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
*snip* Love the DoF and tasty colours. *snip*
thanks, yes a bit planning and a tripod were involved
To the extend that my colleague now thinks i am totally crazy since i pulled out a 500watt floodlight we had laying around in the warehouse to accomplish one single shot just befor leaving work...
Luckily, the yellowish color was completely turned to an okayish purple/white by n8 tungsten whitebalance. so it is unedited from my side!
Still unbelievable to me sometimes how well the n8 performs when enough light is available!

Last edited by mosen; 2016-06-30 at 10:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Fishy pictures all First my quick critics of each image.

#6. spfoo;
Way too dark for my taste, however the eye is a nice catchpoint. Maybe crop just a bit so the lighter distractive detail in the left bottom corner would be dropped off, and then add just a tad of sidelight.
It's always tricky with dark shots. One of my computer screens shows this really nicely with a lot of detail on the fish, the other too dark with hardly any detail. The N9 also shows it really well. I had other shots with more background and light areas to contrast more, but I loved this one on the good screen. Good point of extra light from the side, could have been an excellent kick. Because the model really doesn't mind. I even took one photo by accident with the flash on - no reaction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spfoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#3. pichlo;
Argh, the picture is too small again, cannot make out detail!
Blame the TMO uploader, it shrinks pictures to 640x480. I could have uploaded it to some "cloud" service like the others and used a link but that would be against my political persuasion.

No More Cloud!
No More Cloud!
No More Cloud!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Luckily, the yellowish color was completely turned to an okayish purple/white by n8 tungsten whitebalance. so it is unedited from my side!
I wouldn't have taken points off for over-editing even if you'd adjusted the color balance ex post facto. It's a nice fishy still life either way.
Still unbelievable to me sometimes how well the n8 performs when enough light is available!
For large enough values of enough light my college physics lab room with an accidental pinhole in the blackout shade performed pretty well as a camera obscura.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
#5 mosen - Beautifull colours

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, competition