Notices

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
It still works fine here...

You might try starting it on the commandline and see what it prints. Instructions are somewhere in this thread

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Bangladesh
got it to work...uninstall...manually remove any config leftovers...remove authorisation from google...reinstall...re-authorise...works

Last edited by wurusai; 2011-09-29 at 14:16. Reason: typo

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I still get my Latitude being updated to random locations momentarily, sometimes about 40 miles away. I also seem to no longer see accuracy circles on Latitude again...do Google just not show this any more, or has my Zaploc stopped working again?

...also, is there any chance of having checkins only trigger when a certain WiFi bssid is in range? The accuracy of GPS is a little coarse in a town centre for example. The fact I also live next to a pub also makes checkins awkward..though we can't see each other's WiFi

Hi,
I have been trying to get this working for a while now.. for some reason the authorization step just doesn't work for me.

When I start the application - Set up Services - tick on Foursquare and click on Authorize... I get the message Authorizing ZapLoc with Foursquare and the progress bar shows moving ones and zeroes. But nothing happens - it doesn't open any browser window to authenticate, just hangs there until I click Abort.

Tried uninstall / reinstall, uninstalling removing all dependencies by apt-get autoremove --purge zaploc and reinstalling, but no change.

Any ideas what to try?

Hello!
I'm using zaploc-daemon to update my location in google latitude and stumbled upon 2 bugs.
  1. As mentioned many times above, ZapLoc not always send accuracy alongside with coordinates to latitude. In my case ZapLoc have posted around 50 updates to latitude till now and accuracy was sent only once! I'm going to investigate with tcpdump how it happens. Edit: all data sent to Google Latitude is encrypted, I should have guessed!
  2. It seems ZapLoc compares location, recieved from GPS with previous GPS data to decide if it should send updates, but it should compare them with last sent location. Look in attached log since 16:01:19. I've gathered it while walking with mappero recording my track. I've set up mappero to request GPS data each 2 seconds. ZapLoc also receieved GPS updates each 2 seconds, compared them with previous data and denied to send new location to latitude, because it was not enough far away from location 2 seconds ago.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zaploc.log.zip (81.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Self-Perfection; 2011-11-05 at 12:47.

Is there a way to make the daemon run once , update and exit ?
I was thinking about something as zaploc-daemon.py --update.
So i could run in network scripts to update every time it connects to the network.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Bangladesh
i've noticed a strange thing about the auto-update function related to this known issue:

2. There is an issue that if the authorization step (OAuth) fails with any of the services, well, the app will hang forever waiting for a callback reply from the service's website. I'll fix that soon.

putting it on a shorter update time results in requiring OAuth again with latitude. having a longer time range (more than ~10mins) seems to make it work normally. putting it on real-time update frequency kills it altogether it seems!

anything i can do to help...clear instructions are welcome. not a linux user or a programmer but a rather tech-savvy one.

and the best way to grab my attention is to email me ^.^

Originally Posted by eladts View Post
I have another problem: after some time ZapLoc stops updating Google latitude when moving more than 150m. It usually happens while driving and when another navigation progrm is on. I tried running zaploc-daemon -v, and it looks that when this happens the daemon calculates the movement to be very small, even while driving. After this happens the only way to make the daemon update Google Latitude again is killing it.,removing /home/.user/.zaploc/lock.dat and restarting the daemon. Maybe it measures from the last GPS data and not from the last Google Latitude update?
It did. A 0.9.5-2 build was just posted that should fix this, along with the fact that the Gowalla people broke their API completely... which should now be fixed... I hope....

/Z

Originally Posted by colchaodemola View Post
Is there a way to make the daemon run once , update and exit ?
I was thinking about something as zaploc-daemon.py --update.
So i could run in network scripts to update every time it connects to the network.

Unfortunately not any more, sorry... a very old version had this as a "--once" flag but the internals of the daemon has massively changed since then. Sorry.

/Z

Originally Posted by Self-Perfection View Post
Hello!
I'm using zaploc-daemon to update my location in google latitude and stumbled upon 2 bugs.
  1. As mentioned many times above, ZapLoc not always send accuracy alongside with coordinates to latitude. In my case ZapLoc have posted around 50 updates to latitude till now and accuracy was sent only once! I'm going to investigate with tcpdump how it happens. Edit: all data sent to Google Latitude is encrypted, I should have guessed!
  2. It seems ZapLoc compares location, recieved from GPS with previous GPS data to decide if it should send updates, but it should compare them with last sent location. Look in attached log since 16:01:19. I've gathered it while walking with mappero recording my track. I've set up mappero to request GPS data each 2 seconds. ZapLoc also receieved GPS updates each 2 seconds, compared them with previous data and denied to send new location to latitude, because it was not enough far away from location 2 seconds ago.

0.9.5-2 should fix both these things - I hope.

As for the new busybox problem... if someone can show me the output of

Code:
ps | grep "zaploc-daemon"
with new busybox, I can try to figure something out....

/Z

The Following User Says Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post: