Wohow don't worry about us... we like demo sw

Can you comment on the chances of getting OpenGL ?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I would love to use this, the ability to carry a full laptop with you wherever you go is pretty sweet as it is but the ability to output to a large display is very cool. I would definitely use this to type notes etc. As it is my XP tablet is on its last legs and I was thinking about getting a Macbook, but its developments like this that make me think I should just buy a Mac Pro desktop and skip out on the whole laptop thing altogether.
Yes, you can now see the lack of decent productivity software on a much larger screen.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
It's nice, but what does it do for the video problems with the built-in screen?

Also, I didn't buy an Itablet so that I could hook it up to a big screen; I bought it specifically not to hook it up to a big screen, because of its brilliant native screen. Of course, that was before I found out Nokia fixed it so that I could in many cases never use that brilliant screen to its full potential.

This is the same con Nokia keeps playing: Maemo has no decent HWR, but instead of developing/buying something usable, they bolt a keyboard on an "upgraded" model and claim they're veering away from the stylus-based input model.

Itablets have problems displaying video? Don't fix that! Just make them display video perfectly on an external screen. That'll shut the stupid users up.
I see- you've given up on convincing people this isn't neat and have moved on to complaining about the tablets in general. Wonderful.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
See my reply to "spartanNTX.
The LCD controller issue isn't really relevant here. If you want to ***** about that go start you own thread where you can moan to your heart's content, there's no need too troll here.

Besides, this really doesn't have a ton to do with what Nokia proper is doing. Sorta like *****ing about the INdT guys not doing something you think Nokia shouod be doing.

Anyway, fixing the LCD controller issue isn't something you can do with software. Wait for step 5 and OMAP3 where we'll have a built-in controller that can handle 800x480. OMAP2 and the N8*0s are a done deal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bochum, Germany
I don't exactly get the hype here. Basically this is a slightly more advanced form of video-out, for high-resolution displays.

My Archos PMA430 did Svideo-out three years ago and the Pandora will do sVideo-out at 800x480. It's nice that Nokia's solution has DVI and Sub-VGA options, but for a lowest common denominator (and isn't that what you're looking for with a portable device?) nothing pretty much beats good old Svideo.

Oh, and on the full HD issue: Exactly how many HD movies are you going to fit on that single microSD card on your N810?

And finally: Yes, people. All this was done in Bochum, only seconds before Nokia axed the place!
TVout is IMHO physically not available in N810. But noBounds uses 'physically unchanged' N800 / N810. Thus, it's a little more tricky engineering work than just additional wire(s)
Btw, 32GB miniSD cards are comming... and FullHD (MPEG4 AVC; H264) is 20..40Mbps which you could stream from e.g. Vimeo:

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because the LCD controller isn't involved here. . . .
ah, so thats the troublemaker for local playback. so far i had only read comments about some internal design issue.

that makes it kinda interesting, even if it means bringing along the N800, usb hub, usb drive and connector, 3 of those needing their own power adapter, to show a suitably long video in HD...

i guess the best bit is that one can with this turn the N800 into a web terminal of sorts for the desktop

hell, one gnumeric and abiword get really going i guess one could replace many a home computer with a N800 hooked up like that.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Yes, you can now see the lack of decent productivity software on a much larger screen.
And of course that^ development dynamic will change as more productive users will now have a compelling reason to carry a tablet. However, having data in a presentable form I would think is a more often cited reason for bringing a laptop on a business trip than simple data collection.

The pressure now will be on Nokia to provide a usable Exchange client.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because the LCD controller isn't involved here. . . .
Well the interface to LCD controller is of course much faster than Wi-Fi. Almost anything is faster than wi-fi (especially the one in our tablets :-). The whole demonstration looks strange. Things on N8x0 display do not match things on big display (1 fish vs tons of fish, 1 house vs whole city, hildon UI vs no UI on big display, 3 thumbnails on the left in quiver vs more on big display). And of course you can't push full screen HD video over wifi (or even usb 2.0 which is ~10x faster) uncompressed at 30 fps. There is simply not enough bandwidth, they must cheat somehow. The most plausible part is accelerated OpenGL which is technically possible with our OMAP chip but still quite improbable. We'll see :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-14 at 21:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by YoDude
The pressure now will be on Nokia to provide a usable Exchange client.
exchange? make that powerpoint

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bochum, Germany
Originally Posted by tso View Post
ah, so thats the troublemaker for local playback. so far i had only read comments about some internal design issue.

that makes it kinda interesting, even if it means bringing along the N800, usb hub, usb drive and connector, 3 of those needing their own power adapter, to show a suitably long video in HD...

i guess the best bit is that one can with this turn the N800 into a web terminal of sorts for the desktop

hell, one gnumeric and abiword get really going i guess one could replace many a home computer with a N800 hooked up like that.
If you've not the right Display available, you could use a dongle with additional power supply. But the N810 USB OTG can provide power through the USB cable, so that you don't need three power supplies.

Btw. I'm searching for gnumeric, abiword, impress,... for our demo N8x0. If it runns you'll see another video. Could someone help?