Active Topics

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by demos View Post
Yes, that's some serious bling. Could that be made into an accessory set - available through OVI?
YES! Best idea ever! I would personally love that since I kind of do that to all my phones, even my N97 mini got the same treatment a while back, heh...

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Ovi_Blog View Post
Hi, James_Littler!

Of course you can, and I will answer publicly: of course I do I would have to be quite full of myself to march over to a forum about Maemo if I don't even own or use a Maemo device, eh? I use my N900 (and my N97 mini, just for work email though) religiously, and so do about all of the people I work with. And yes, I use mine every day.
Thanks for the response, I just fail to see how 'official', hired developers can make so many mistakes when it comes to the OS.

There are so many deal killers to an otherwise epic phone/tablet (semantics), eg the whole flash 10.1 debacle, that given the chance any user would gladly contribute a few hours 'fixing' given the knowledge/source/opportunity, though those in the position to do something about it are either, doing nothing or doing something but being very quiet about it.

If I was a NOKIA developer and I owned an N900 and I was in the position to fix these bugs I would, and what's more I would be vocal about it.
We have an entire community, devoted to supporting a handset, many developers that give up their time to develop free apps, so why are more NOKIA staff not here utilizing this great resource and wealth of knowledge.

If Titan can make our phones run at 1Ghz with no noticeable drawback, why can't NOKIA's developers?

If NOKIA can't make turn by turn nav work on Maemo, how is it possible that a 3rd party company such as Sygic is able to develop very good turn by turn voice guided nav on the very same OS?

I'm sorry but I fail to see how any NOKIA staff are successfully using their N900s without coming to this forum, and I am yet to see any NOKIA employees on here except from yourself.

So that either means that the NOKIA staff who are using an N900 either:
1. Have joined up here but have not made it public that they are NOKIA employees
2. Are on here as guests
3. Miraculously have no issues what so ever
4. Are happy with a broken email client, a buggy (at best) OS, memory leaks, etc etc etc

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-08-03 at 14:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think you've just elevated your status to Forum Hero with that bling/armor
Niini enters the lion's den and walks away with a purr. Quite a feat

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
I'm sorry but I fail to see how any NOKIA staff are successfully using their N900s without coming to this forum, and I am yet to see any NOKIA employees on here except from yourself.
There are at least a dozen active users who made no secret about them being Nokia employees. Some leave the Nokia disclaimer off because some people think they are here by assignment and not as genuine community members, and last, but not least, their participation was significantly decreased by people throwing rotten tomatoes at them on issues they have nothing to do with. The Maemo community is very passionate, I'd dare say more passionate than most other device communities, and, unless you have superpowers like Niini, it can be a challenge to deal with. (and no, all of this does not mean the lack of Flash 10.1 or USB ports falling out doesn't suck - with the exception of the overclock issue which you're dead wrong on ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There are at least a dozen active users who made no secret about them being Nokia employees. Some leave the Nokia disclaimer off because some people think they are here by assignment and not as genuine community members, and last, but not least, their participation was significantly decreased by people throwing rotten tomatoes at them on issues they have nothing to do with.
Sorry I wasn't aware of any others, there at least is no one else currently from NOKIA frequenting these forums in the same way Ovi_Blog is.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
(and no, all of this does not mean the lack of Flash 10.1 or USB ports falling out doesn't suck - with the exception of the overclock issue which you're dead wrong on ).
What I am trying to say is, if we mere mortals can and are fixing the shortcomings of the N900, why were they there in the first place, and more importantly, why are the NOKIA devs not here, contributing/collaborating, or are they just scared they'll look stupid next to some members of these forums?

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-08-03 at 15:05.

I use N900 as a regular phone. It is very nice and I have absolutely no problems with it. Thinking of it N900 is good in many ways.

The only place I got 100% frustrated to the point is with the GPS navigation. I watch people who own less expensive Nokia phones using navigation on their devices and I am stuck with N900. This makes me carry a separate a less expensive Nokia navigator phone :-(

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Sorry I wasn't aware of any others, there at least is no one else currently from NOKIA frequenting these forums in the same way Ovi_Blog is.
Well, in July it wasn't surprising as most are off on vacations, but still, the point is that most of them are here as community members and felt no need for large I'M A NOKIAN decals (our 'official' Nokian is qgil).

What I am trying to say is, if we mere mortals can and are fixing the shortcomings of the N900, why were they there in the first place, and more importantly, why are the NOKIA devs not here, contributing/collaborating, or are they just scared they'll look stupid next to some members of these forums?
Most devs don't like forums that much, you've got a much higher concentration of them on the dev mailing lists. Even so, plenty of tech guys visit this place, vivainio, too, danielwilms, igor, xizzhu and many more I probably am forgetting at the moment...

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So it shouldn't be too hard for you to understand that people may mistake those two pre-announcements as the same event, mistaking both as maemo related.
I quess that is also possible. But this is just what I hate here: expectations starting to build from something like "exciting ovi news" into "full Meego support, PR1.3 with flash 10 and 80% discount when n900 is returned when buying meego device"

it just escapes to orbit and every reasonable and awesome announcement becomes yet another "nokia has let us down, that is nothing!" -complaints. I'd go back to good old itt times when people had some common sense and less fanatism (outside open source one)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
ouch...Niini's N900 has a face that only a mother could love..(
Don't be so quick to judge. While I'll admit Niini's custom work is a bit sparkly for my taste, there's a darn good chance those colored dots bring the entire back of the N900 up to level, preventing it from rocking on its camera bump when used on flat surfaces. If so, that's form and function.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. While I'll admit Niini's custom work is a bit sparkly for my taste, there's a darn good chance those colored dots bring the entire back of the N900 up to level, preventing it from rocking on its camera bump when used on flat surfaces. If so, that's form and function.
yes i guess beauty is in eyes of the beholder....of their n900.

Tags
bought n900, misstep, n900 owner, nokia, ovi store, ovitards, shitty comics, wtf comics!?