Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
Thanks for this post! Now we have one report that an "OFFICIAL" Finnish made N9 has evidence of peeling. Now how would one be able to refute that?
All of the phones have the same manufacturing process, confirmed by my nokia colleagues, finnish or chinese. The polymer is covered with a finish, which is expected, it is matte, while the white is glossy. If there is a a gash/scratch, the inside of the polymer is at least black, but the finish will not be there. I mentioned on the thread I posted in my above post, that any finish can get ruined if not maintained correctly, unfortunately. Wear and tear ruins everything, unfotunately. When I received my N9 in the mail, I immediately saw that the usb hatch was a definite vulnerability, so when I wrapped my phone, I put an extra piece of plastic over where I press on the latch to open in order to charge, so far so good. Photos of the wrap are on the post above to 'willywonka'. Casing a phone can have its issues as well, rubbing the phone, and if it is not airtight (which no case is), the debris will scratch it up as well.

Now, probably the only phone out there with a very strong finish is the HTC One S, which has been prepped with 10,000 volts to strengthen its metal casing, enough that it is the only phone that does not need a wrap or casing.

http://gizmodo.com/5893139/watch-htc...gh-their-phone

Very cool, but Nokia went a different way, which is also cool, but still, EVERY phone has a delicate finish, my N900 included as well, which was a tank, but my wife's, she put in her purse uncased/unwrapped, and it was a mess after 2 weeks, no dropping, just with the crap in her purse. No phone is invulnerable, and it is not shotty workmanship, unless it is cased like the One S...which I bet I could find a way to ruin a well (put it in my wife's purse haha)

This 'specc' character is trolling all of you at this point, best to put him on 'ignore', report him, and call it a day. If he is banned eventually from this community, he can go somewhere else to troll, and not get any help with his N9.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by cm6 View Post
Alright, yesterday I got a Lumia 800 for trial, which meant I had to compare it with my 4-month-old N9. So I removed the rubber cover & I found this.

(images removed)

The matte layer has indeed worn off. How? It's my own fault because I hadn't removed the cover since a few months and it definitely hasn't coped well with the sweat and heat while inside my pocket (I live in a country with a very warm weather).

Clearly, Nokia haven't tested it under this extreme weather condition.
I do not live in a country with a warm weather, and we had even -30C this winter but my N9 looks similar to yours. I removed soft cover last week after 5 months. Disappointed.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Seems to me there are lots of fake stuff out there, and that include USB/SIM covers. But, each N9 is delivered with a rubber protective case that fits like a glow, gives excellent grip, looks nice and really do protect the device. Why not use it?
because after 5 months of soft cover usage your original phone will look like this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=90

Originally Posted by Audrius View Post
My n9's back used to look the same every time I took it out of the case, but that would just wipe off easily. I don't use the case anymore, but it still gets like that sometimes when my hands a greasy, but it's still easy to wipe it off.
how do you wipe it off?
it is impossible on my phone... do you use any detergent?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My son, who has cyan N9, and regularly abuses his phone, has not a single peeling site. Phone is 3 months old now, made in china

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
My son, who has cyan N9, and regularly abuses his phone, has not a single peeling site. Phone is 3 months old now, made in china
The problem has only been reported on black N9's AFAICT. I guess the white one could potentially have the problem though, since it has a special coating. It's different from the black one though, so might have a different reaction.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Thanks for this post! Now we have one report that an "OFFICIAL" Finnish made N9 has evidence of peeling. Now how would one be able to refute that?
Nonsense. "Confirmations" about the housing being covered with some paint or lacquer is indeed false. It is covered with a hardened layer of transparent polycarbonate.

Besides, he might as well hit his phone with a hammer. I am sure that will make some cracks amongst other things. Running over it by a tank will probably also have similar effect. Being made in Finland makes you tough, but not indestructible.

The OP showed pictures of a peeling N9 for no apparent reason, and it was only a couple of weeks old. My N9 is now 5 1/2 months old. No peeling of any kind, and I use it every single day.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
All of the phones have the same manufacturing pr

This 'specc' character is trolling all of you at this point, best to put him on 'ignore', report him, and call it a day. If he is banned eventually from this community, he can go somewhere else to troll, and not get any help with his N9.
I totally agree. Perhaps he can troll in an apple forum somewhere. There are plenty of similar "kirf" products that he can moan about there.

I totally agree. Perhaps he can troll in an apple forum somewhere. There are plenty of similar "kirf" products that he can moan about there.
LOL Who is trolling here? People who makes up all kind of nonsense because they have got a phone from a bad batch or a fake? or people like me who has a genuine black N9 from the very first batches with no faults, peeling or cracking whatsoever? Just wondering

«a picture says more then 1000 words...»
leave alone posts on a forum ¦-)))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RqxYiXtzKd0
i only watched it quickly but didn't notice any "cowering" or painting...