Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I browsed the Gizmo project web site and they have different versions of the Gizmo software for N770 and N800. I didn't notice any new features on the N800 client... so why different versions? It makes me worry that Gizmo is also going to drop the ball on supporting N770 with new software versions?

Anybody tried the N800 client if it is any different?

Hi, Mara,

Gizmo client was the first application I've installed on my N800 and I don't see any difference in options or with the interface. It works better, e.g. the sound is much less choppy compared to my old 770 but I guess that attributes more to N800 hardware. Frankly, I was really amazed that 770 was able to do VoIP at all. The difference in versions perhaps is simply explained by the fact that 2.0.0.5x is the latest pre-release 2.0 branch (they had 2.0.0.53 for Linux PC released two days ago) and they might not have time to back-port this version to 770 yet. I guess you'd better ask on Gizmo Project forum about their plans.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Amarillo, TX, USA
Originally Posted by zlatoust View Post
Hi, Mara,

Gizmo ...is much less choppy compared to my old 770....
I don't have Gizmo and have been debating about getting it. By your statement above, it seems to suggest that Gizmo is still somewhat choppy on N800, is it? Indeed, how well does Gizmo work on N800 (i.e. do the outcalls to regular phones sound good enough for a decent conversation)?

Thanks for any info that you can share!

I did not have chance to test it thoroughly on N800 yet, and I only placed a few phone calls from Nokia770, so I am not in a position to make an educated comparison. There are so many variables in VoIP chain one might wonder why it works at all. To start with, I have my router set up with NAT, that is enough of an obstacle, and while it is configured to do fixed port forwarding to my Linux PC, it does not allow port forwarding for second device. I guess it works with N800 via UPnP, whatever this means. Sound is very clear both on 770 and N800, better than what my Verizon landline can provide even for local calls. But with 770 it sometimes hard to keep a conversation going because your replies sort of cut off the other party's words. It's more like push-to-talk experience. It is not hard to get used to it (my mom did rather quickly) but still annoying. It is much more smooth with N800, both parties can talk at the same time and hear each other. Occasionally, the sound may break for a fraction of second, but it is on par with my experience with Gizmo on my PC (and with Skype too, to that matter). Bearing in mind that most of my calls were long distance placed during holiday season with destinations in Moscow, Russia (pretty far from Boston, MA where I reside), I would rate Gizmo on 770 as B, while on N800 it would get firm A or A+.

HTH,
Ivan

From other people's reports I understand that one MAJOR difference with the N800 version of Gizmo is that the secondary SIP account now is functional, so that you can use any existing facility you already have instead of the actual Gizmo service.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Amarillo, TX, USA
Originally Posted by zlatoust View Post
I would rate Gizmo on 770 as B, while on N800 it would get firm A or A+.

HTH,
Ivan

Thanks Ivan! Your information was absolutely useful! Really appreciate it!

-- Manny

I can tell you that Gizmo works really great on the N800. Crystal clear calls to landlines...HUGE problem tho is that it seems the N800 doesn't support inputting DTMF(?) tones, so you can't dial up an extension if you call a phone system. Hope that gets fixed

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I browsed the Gizmo project web site and they have different versions of the Gizmo software for N770 and N800. I didn't notice any new features on the N800 client... so why different versions? It makes me worry that Gizmo is also going to drop the ball on supporting N770 with new software versions?
Well, the situation has clarified somewhat. Last Sunday I updated my 770 to the latest "3" version of OS2006. Afterwards the version of Gizmo 2.0 for the N800, that I had downloaded and installed in January, would not install any more.

After a couple of tries to make sure, I went to the Gizmo web site and found they had released a new build of version 2 (2.0.55) for maemo, on Feb. 2. But this time they have two separate packages of the same version, one for the 770 and one for the N800, with a warning not to try installing one on the other...

So I dowloaded the new 770 version, which installed fine and seems to run fine, too.

So Gizmo at least seems to be treating 770 users fairly up to now !