Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Serbia
Can I have ubiboot for dualboot without Nemo? Can it be done just with skipping moslo stuf in installation process?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by saleki View Post
Can I have ubiboot for dualboot without Nemo? Can it be done just with skipping moslo stuf in installation process?
Yes.

You can have ubiboot also for use with just one OS, just if you want to switch kernels easy with that OS for example.
(and it can be any OS you want to...)

If you just want Harmattan & Nitdroid, skip the Nemo parts.
You will of course still have the Nemo icon in the top menu, unless you remove it from the scripts.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I get the green text on nemo and it won't stop. I formatted it via Windows as a prompt came up, was that a bad idea? Also, as I am in Windows "Alt_Os" doesn't come up.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by byteninja2 View Post
I get the green text on nemo and it won't stop. I formatted it via Windows as a prompt came up, was that a bad idea? Also, as I am in Windows "Alt_Os" doesn't come up.
If I remember correctly you do not need to format it, the repartitioning script in Moslo already does it.
if it needs to be formatted it cannot be done in Windows anyway as it needs to be ext4.
For the same reason your Windows does not see the ALT_OS partition...

Posts: 335 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Trento, Italy
Hi, I finally managed to install ubiboot,great stuff! Thanks for it
Only one thing, I don't understand how to add a new kernel. For, example, I got the stock harmattan kernel from http://www.swagman.org/juice/zImage_...13_nokiasigned and placed to /boot, then? Sorry for my noobiness

Originally Posted by Lucazz990 View Post
Hi, I finally managed to install ubiboot,great stuff! Thanks for it
Only one thing, I don't understand how to add a new kernel. For, example, I got the stock harmattan kernel from http://www.swagman.org/juice/zImage_...13_nokiasigned and placed to /boot, then? Sorry for my noobiness
To get the kernel seen in the menu list, now you need to edit your ubiboot.conf (which in default is in your /home/user/MyDocs/boot/ directory...)

1.) find the place where it says # Harmattan kernels
for example, in my device it looks like this:
# Harmattan kernels
G_HARMATTAN_NUM=5
G_HARMATTAN_AUTOBOOT=0
G_HARMATTAN_1_LABEL="2.6.32.54 + fbconsole"
G_HARMATTAN_1_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/Image-2.6.32.54-fbconsole"
G_HARMATTAN_2_LABEL="2.6.32.54 Nemo backport"
G_HARMATTAN_2_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage-2.6.32.54-juice_backport"
G_HARMATTAN_3_LABEL="Nitdroid pr13 kernel"
G_HARMATTAN_3_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage.pr13"
G_HARMATTAN_4_LABEL="Openmode + L2fix"
G_HARMATTAN_4_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix"
G_HARMATTAN_5_LABEL="2.6.32.59 kernel+xxx"
G_HARMATTAN_5_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_2.6.32.59-plus_nat_extfat-20121301"
G_HARMATTAN_6_LABEL=""
G_HARMATTAN_6FILE=""
2.) The tag G_HARMATTAN_NUM=5 means that the kernel menu holds 5 entries. (5 kernel name lines are shown)
You need to put here a number from 1 to 6, depending on how many kernels you have.

3.) The tag G_HARMATTAN_AUTOBOOT=0 means that there is no autoboot active now. If you change that to number 1...6, then when you press the Harmattan icon, that kernel number will boot automatically, it will not ask for which kernel to boot.
This is useful, for example if you have just one kernel under an OS, for example Nitdroid and always want to boot it.

4.) Each of the tag pairs, G_HARMATTAN_x_LABEL and G_HARMATTAN_x_FILE signify one kernel menu line.
For example, I have G_HARMATTAN_1_LABEL="2.6.32.54 + fbconsole" which means that this text is shown in the menu as the first kernel line.
When I press that line, ubiboot will search for the file specified by the corresponding tag G_HARMATTAN_1_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/Image-2.6.32.54-fbconsole"

So, now you know how this is constructed. If you want to have this kernel you downloaded as the first line, you will need to set the tag G_HARMATTAN_1_LABEL to some name for it (anything is OK, it's yours to decide) and the tag G_HARMATTAN_1_FILE as your kernel path, "/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_original_PR13_nokiasigned" for example.

(note here that the file path is /boot/zImage_original_PR13_nokiasigned when you are looking at it in Harmattan, but when you are running ubiboot the device has very different root file system, and then the file appears as /boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_original_PR13_nokiasigned. This can be confusing for some people...)

Last edited by juiceme; 2013-09-11 at 09:42. Reason: corrected typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
@juiceme thank you very much for your reply
I'm trying right now

Ok it worked
but the device is still in open mode, I thought that loading the stock kernel would make the device run in normal mode... Btw is this possible at all?

Originally Posted by Lucazz990 View Post
Ok it worked
but the device is still in open mode, I thought that loading the stock kernel would make the device run in normal mode... Btw is this possible at all?
Unfortunately the way it works, is once you ever run any non-nokia-signed kernel, even just boot it and then immediately reboot with signed kernel, the device goes to open mode and it cannot be put back to normal mode except by flashing it.

I guess this is Nokia's way of ensuring device security/protection, you cannot go to open mode to make some tweak and then return to normal mode

There's just one thing that is available in normal mode and not in open mode, and that's device locking. Everything else works OK, so I always run my devices in open mode.
If you absolutely need device lock, then I'm afraid custom kernels and other advanced tweaks are not possible for you, but I assure you everything else works in open mode correctly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Unfortunately the way it works, is once you ever run any non-nokia-signed kernel, even just boot it and then immediately reboot with signed kernel, the device goes to open mode and it cannot be put back to normal mode except by flashing it.

I guess this is Nokia's way of ensuring device security/protection, you cannot go to open mode to make some tweak and then return to normal mode

There's just one thing that is available in normal mode and not in open mode, and that's device locking. Everything else works OK, so I always run my devices in open mode.
If you absolutely need device lock, then I'm afraid custom kernels and other advanced tweaks are not possible for you, but I assure you everything else works in open mode correctly.
My problem is not with device lock, but with installations: everytime (almost) I install a package, when it finishes installing all apps shut down and this is quite annoying... This is also a problem while installing for example unrestricted system ui or using n9qtweak