Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ North America (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
I was wondering if it is worth getting the N810WE as a backup to the N900 & how well the N810WE works as an all-around device assuming one is in an area with good WiMAX coverage (I am). Also, can the device tether to any other Bluetooth-capable phone (I'm thinking BlackBerry 9700 & Nokia N95-3 in my particular case) with Internet connection & piggy off that? Finally, I did a quick eBay & Google search and was surprised that this thing is going for more than the N900 is going for!

Is the N810WE that rare or is it a very good device compared to the N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to adam917 For This Useful Post:
So just buy another N900?

You are talking about a previous generation device. One with a decent size cult following and a few less restrictions sure, but still a previous generation device. I would not hand over that amount of money personally.

Wow, WiMAX. I could be missing something, but my impression is that, when it comes to WiMAX compatibility, beggers can't be choosers. How many WiMAX devices are there besides N810WE? Seemed like a chicken & egg problem -- phone networks were hesitant to build the network w/o the devices, and device manufacturers were hesitant to make devices w/o the network. Anyway, yes, the N810WEs are indeed "that rare".

The N810, in general, is a fine device (with a larger screen & longer battery life than the N900). But, for the record, Nokia is no longer providing software updates for its OS (Maemo4/Diablo/OS2008) & stock apps.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
The N810, in general, is a fine device (with a larger screen & longer battery life than the N900).
Since when did it have better battery life? Plug the N900 in Offline Mode (or just disable phone) and you'll probably see much the same batt life.

But, for the record, Nokia is no longer providing software updates for its OS (Maemo4/Diablo/OS2008) & stock apps.
How is that any different to the N900? :S

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Is the N810WE that rare...
Yes, it is. The N810 WiMAX Edition was only available for purchase for three months at the end of 2008, and Nokia didn't let unsold inventory sit on vendor shelves to be marked down as clearance after the device was canceled. Nokia immediately recalled all the unsold stock.

It's a shame. I still want one.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
Don't you need a WiMAX account though through a provider like Clear/Sprint?
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ North America (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Yes, it is. The N810 WiMAX Edition was only available for purchase for three months at the end of 2008, and Nokia didn't let unsold inventory sit on vendor shelves to be marked down as clearance after the device was canceled. Nokia immediately recalled all the unsold stock.

It's a shame. I still want one.
I find it strange that they recalled the units. Why wouldn't they want them to sell out? Wouldn't it cost more managing that inventory or recycling/disposing of it?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
I find it strange that they recalled the units. Why wouldn't they want them to sell out? Wouldn't it cost more managing that inventory or recycling/disposing of it?
I'm pretty sure the situation was political, and LTE was involved.

Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
Yes.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-07 at 01:33.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
Yes you do need an account with Clear.
Yes the units are as rare as a hen's tooth.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Yes the units are as rare as a hen's tooth.
It was sure hard to return my test unit after I was laid off...