Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
I have an N810. My N900 will arrive tomorrow (25-Nov-09).

Can someone who already has the N900 comment further on its GPS, mapping and navigation features? I'm specifically interested in free solutions. I do not intend to purchase an expensive 3rd party subscription.

Examples of things I would like to receive feedback about:

How much better is GPS, mapping and navigation than the N810?

How fast does the N900 get a GPS lock under various conditions?

Will it acquire a lock without a data connection?

How does the overall solution compare to Verizon's Droid with Google's turn-by-turn navigation?

How does the overall GPS solution compare to a dedicated GPS device such as a Garmin nuvi 600- or 700-series device? (I have never used one of those.)

Any other experiences from N900 users regarding GPS? Please share!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-11-25 at 02:31. Reason: typo

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
If I had titled this "N900 GPS sucks" would I have 100 replies by now?

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-11-25 at 01:30. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
GPS is fine, it's Ovi Maps I think you're referring to that's suck.

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
GPS is fine, it's Ovi Maps I think you're referring to that's suck.
A little more detail would be great. I'd like to believe you that the GPS is fine, but some people are saying it does not acquire a lock quickly and that a data connection is required.

I've also read mixed opinions on Ovi Maps, so I'd like to hear from people with an N900 that are actually using the GPS heavily.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

I tried mapping on the N810 I bought for my 2 year old to play with. GPS was very slow to lock, not sure if it ever did. The mapping application was terrible. I am sure the N900 app will be better but from what I have read it will be a big letdown compared to Google Maps or OVI 3.0 on my E90. My N900 should be delivered tomorrow. I will update this post when I have had a chance to try the maps.

There's another thread here called "So what did you expect?". That's what inspired me to start this thread about the N900 GPS.

Basically, my expectation/hope for the N900 would be something like this:

Ideal N900 = updated N810 + updated Maemo + voice calls + 3g data + GPS & mapping equal to Verizon Droid

That "equation" shows that the N900 will probably meet all my expectations except, I fear, for the GPS & mapping.

I already posted somewhere else a couple reviews that show the Google turn-by-turn navigation on the Droid is far from perfect. I just want something about equal on the N900. It doesn't have to be perfect at all because navigation on the Droid isn't perfect. But it's a whole lot better than on the N810.

GPS is good. It gets a lock in less than 10 seconds, but it requires data connection.

There is no real navigation software untill sygic releases their software.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
GPS is good. It gets a lock in less than 10 seconds, but it requires data connection.

There is no real navigation software untill sygic releases their software.
It REQUIRES a data connection? What kind of GPS is this? I have an 8 year old Garmin GPS that is not a phone and has no data connection and it works just fine as a GPS. And it gets a satellite lock typically before I can back the car out of the driveway.

I don't agree with this statement, until I can see it for myself or someone else can comment otherwise.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta, GA United States
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
It REQUIRES a data connection? What kind of GPS is this? I have an 8 year old Garmin GPS that is not a phone and has no data connection and it works just fine as a GPS. And it gets a satellite lock typically before I can back the car out of the driveway.
Typically, the first time your car has to get a SAT lock, it takes a long time. But my car NAV system, like many others I suppose, keeps track of where it last was. So, it knows which satellites to scan for.

Hand held NAV units are the same way. But jump on a plane and travel a long distance while they are powered off, and you will find they also take an annoyingly long time to get a lock.

How does google maps behave in the browser?

Tags
gps, n900, navigation