Off topic but...

Nokia please make the N900/N97 successor as good as the Samsung Epic 4G.

Looking just at its specs:
Firstly form-factor= exactly like the N97 (tilt screen) except thinner, actual buttons on the screen (not the red & green touch crap) and much better qwerty (like the Xperia X2).

Screen= 4" Super Amoled (this is the screen we want and that's the minimum size)
Screen resolution= 840x480 is the new standard, you can shoot for the stars with something greater but it wont matter much (sorry iPhone4 your display is great not awesome)
Touchscreen= Capacitative (multitouch, more responsive and doesn't require tapping a slight touch is enough... good for swiping apps)
Memory= 512MB RAM (lets remove bottlenecks), ROM (more internal memory, 8GB is minimum), SD card (or any removable memory... its awesome)
Processor= single core A8 @ +1Ghz, or single core A9 @ +1Ghz, or dual-core A9 @ +1Ghz... with a great GPU (>40M polygons/sec)
Battery= 1400mAh that's decent and any more will be sweet
Camera= 5MP with autofocus, 720p @ 30fps and a really bright flash light
Videocall= VGA will do fine, we don't need to focus on the pimples
Video out= mini-HDMI (no proprietary), better than wireless its dependable!
Wireless= Digital compass, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, GSM, 3G
Other stuff= Accelarometre, LOUDspeakers!!!, USB host!, 3.5mm headset
Excess tish= 4G, optical zoom camera, trackball, pull-out capacitative stylus, FM transmitter, FM receiver

Now we get to the software.
If you can do everything above then you should just slap Maemo5 on it. Let everyone complain, but make sure the hardware is A+ (learn from others mistakes). But make sure it will be updateable to MeeGo or at least make it easy to flash for the community.

This will prove you're dedicated in the smartphone business.
Come on, the markets right there for you to steal cause Apple blew it! (let Android catch up)

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-06-29 at 09:24.

Any phone by Samsung is fail. Their designs are just too ugly.

I guess Nokia knows that they have to make a really good phone when they introduce their new OS so that the OS looks the best it can

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Are those specs genuine specs for N89 or just guesswork/wishlist?

It's always the opposite, so every post-y2k product or text containing the word "epic" without quotation marks can be safely ignored.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
this specs are great but i would want a hardware keyboard too.since i only use them(n97,n900)i cant without........

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
do you have a source?

Sorry no source.

I was just contemplating how awesome Samsung's new flagship is.
And it wasn't long ago when Samsung, LG and Motorola were under Nokia's shadow.
I just wish Nokia makes a smartphone with killer hardware asap. They could always combine it with killer software with an update OTA or PC-link.
And the specs I've listed is what I (and probably everyone else) deem as killer hardware, they need to stop horsing around with the N8, which seems like a "middle class" smartphone or a "smart" feature-phone.

Capacitive is terrible, I'll never understand the people that prefer it...

well im with my n900 for at least another 15 months. i dont feel the least bit intimidated by any new spec phone. as far as i see it my 'phone' can do more than what the majority of my mates are 'upgrading' to.
15months may seem lime a long time but i have seen the n900 develop at a ferocious pace + while this may ease, i still think the combination of the phones ability and the expertise of t.m.o. community to keep this device at the fore front of technology will keep my remaing contract more than fruitfull. i cant imagine an android forum developing their 'phones' to run other platforms etc. (if they have excuse my ignorance)!

i still run into recent iphone4 convertors who did not know of the n900s existance + are amazed atwhat it does,as am i.

so it seems to me that apart from the lack of device support, like kaiser soze, nokias biggest crime was convincing th
e world that the n900 didnt exist!