Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
But then again, let's not forget how apple has made the iPhone so user friendly. As an end-user who don't know anything about the iPhone, you just know that if you want to purchase music, run the iPod within the iPhone. Same with apps -- just run the App Store app and you get to download free and commercial apps easily.
[...]
Now, you have the GPS built in running on top of the Google Map app, which also seamlessly integrate with the contacts app.
[...]
I guess what we can see is how important integration is, and how end-user focused Apple really is. You'll be amazed how people don't mind paying for a premium as long as you get what you pay for.
Probably one of the smartest things ever said in those basicly repetitive iPhone vs. NIT threads.
What amazes me about Nokia is that they never ever manage to get the overall user experience right. I'm not talking about user interfaces and exe candy. I'm talking about: how does the first time user find some new themes to play around with? Music? Videos? Software? Just to try, just to have an idea of what the device could do.

Nokia manages to completely ignore this, both with their phones and with their tablets. There's not one single site in this frustrating online-maze they set up where you could just go and download all this for the one device you have.

I really think Apple is on the wrong track and I'd never buy anything from them for various reasons, but they got this one thing right. They managed to establish a one stop shop for whatever you could want to have on your device. And my estimation is that this one fact makes up for 80% of their current success. It can't be all that difficult to at least put up a website? Hello? Anybody home in Finnland?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
US Data customers... Be very afraid!

Yes, US customers are treated like dirt by their carriers.

Yes, US carriers have always been "pay as you go", per bit data proponents.

Yes, US customers will pay a premium for software that works...

Add this all up and it is no wonder US carriers are falling all over themselves to heavily subsidize the new iPhone... They will make their money back and then some. Particularly as US customers get "hooked" on mobile data consumed on their terms.

After that, it doesn't matter who makes the phone.

I live in a two phone household. The IT works well for me as I use a company supplied BT phone on a specific (not ATT) network. I enjoy acess to programs and services that my co-workers can only dream of.
My wife's contract however, is up on her private line so I suspect we will soon hear the pitter patter of iPhone footsteps in the YoDude household.

I also suspect that like when any new born is introduced to a household, monthly expenses will rise dramatically in ways previously unimagined.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Probably one of the smartest things ever said in those basicly repetitive iPhone vs. NIT threads.
What amazes me about Nokia is that they never ever manage to get the overall user experience right. I'm not talking about user interfaces and exe candy. I'm talking about: how does the first time user find some new themes to play around with? Music? Videos? Software? Just to try, just to have an idea of what the device could do.
per default there is a large tabletter button on the "desktop". and it opens a browser page that holds a lot of stuff the user can try out...

but yes, apples "whole widget" strategy makes it simpler for the end user. but for any geek, its just another vertical silo...

apple is mother, apple is father, apple knows whats best for you...

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
While I love the Nokia N810, but have been frustrated with HSDPA 3G connectivity due to lack of any good (nokia) HSDPA phone.
I'm quite happy with my E51 serving as a phone for my N800. Great device, no resets, snappy, quality of material is good, quality of audio is good.

What would you ever want?

Hmm. UK folks, I don't think this is bad at all.
Source: http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
Originally Posted by FierceDeityLink1 View Post
$199/$299 with a 2-year commitment. I don't think I want to go from $15/mo. unlimited data on Verizon to $35 on AT&T (assuming HSDPA costs the same).
$15 a month unlimited?!?! How did you manager that? Verizon wants to charge me $60 a month for 5GB.

If I'm missing something please let me know. I would gladly pay $15. But $60 is highway robbery.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
doesn't look to bad to be

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
someone should check out phonelink
I already know about phonelink. It doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Though, I do wonder if it's usable with AT&T's GoPhone plans. Get the $1/day plan, and just pay $20 every 30 days for unlimited data ... and nothing else.
Alas, no, it is NOT usable with the GoPhone plan.
http://thestandard.com/news/2008/06/...ntract-options

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
http://gizmodo.com/5014764/iphone-3g...-in-store-only

Update 2: David alerts us to this bit from Dow Jones' report: "AT&T and Apple are working on a form of penalty for users who don't activate their iPhone within 30 days of purchase." Whoa. Guess that'll cut down on unlockers, eh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyrath For This Useful Post: