I'm feeling a bit bewildered by the password system in KDE. The good news tonight is that I downloaded and installed tightVNC viewer on my XP Laptop and I can now use KDE much more easily, wow. I can open up things with right click and use a curser and except for slow speed it functions nearly normally. My problem now is that I can't seem to get a handle on KDE's security system.

I found and followed Penguinbate's instructions here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...+root+password

I did open the root shell in kDE and typed passwd and pressed enter. I did get the chance to change the password but when I typed I got no symbols to appear no matter how I tried to enter my new password. I tried assuming that xterm was just not showing anything because it's a password and so I went through the motions. I entered it twice as it asked me to. Then I go to the places where KDE needs root password and my password doesn't seem to work. My actions don't end up having any affect. So what am I missing here? Feeling a bit stumped

Thanks
Neil

can you su to root in konsole OK?

That is, the command su in konsole ought to ask
for root's password and then switch to the root
user. Is the password working for that?

Originally Posted by albright View Post
can you su to root in konsole OK?

That is, the command su in konsole ought to ask
for root's password and then switch to the root
user. Is the password working for that?
No, the password I tried to set up in Konsole does not work. Su did ask for password. I input the password I thought I might have created but it didn't accept it. It ended up giving me /home/user #

What I don't understand about this password thing is that it seems so hard to have a clean starting point with it. It's as if KDE comes with a secret password that I have to dig somewhere to figure out. Like Konsole telling me that Password can not be changed. Sorry, I'm a Windows convert where I would have some sort of interface that would ask me if I would like to use a password and what I would like it to be. I sort of am just assuming that the rest of you find this rather easy. Could you fill me in?

Neil

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
No, the password I tried to set up in Konsole does not work. Su did ask for password. I input the password I thought I might have created but it didn't accept it. It ended up giving me /home/user #

What I don't understand about this password thing is that it seems so hard to have a clean starting point with it. It's as if KDE comes with a secret password that I have to dig somewhere to figure out. Like Konsole telling me that Password can not be changed. Sorry, I'm a Windows convert where I would have some sort of interface that would ask me if I would like to use a password and what I would like it to be. I sort of am just assuming that the rest of you find this rather easy. Could you fill me in?

Neil

KDE, has nothing to do with passwords, passwords are all handled by the system.

2008 comes up with the user "user" with no password set and with root, set to ??? (used to be rootme) Now I have no idea what it is??

So open xterm

sudo su - (or "sudo gainroot" if you dont have KDE installed)

passwd user (This will ask you for the new user password and allow you to set it.)

passwd (this will ask you to set the root password)

I am unsure what problem you are having????
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post

2008 comes up with the user "user" with no password set and with root, set to ??? (used to be rootme) Now I have no idea what it is??

So open xterm

passwd user (This will ask you for the new user password and allow you to set it.)

passwd (this will ask you to set the root password)

I am unsure what problem you are having????
Thanks for the information PB. So this is it: when I try to type in a new password nothing gets typed.Kinda wierd

Neil

Thanks for the information PB. So this is it: when I try to type in a new password nothing gets typed.Kinda wierd

Neil

Not wierd, just secure. Its not supposed to display your password back to you
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

So open xterm

Typed sudo gainroot into xterm. It responded : "Enable RD mode if you want to break your devise"

passwd user (This will ask you for the new user password and allow you to set it.) I It responded "password for user can not be changed."

passwd (this will ask you to set the root password)It responded " password for user can not be changed." and said nothing about root password

Apparently I need something more than sudo gainroot? Neil

Well, I seemed to have success with this in the 'rooterm' program in KDE. I typed in sudo su, then user password. typed in the password twice and got password changed, yay. Same with passwd root. got password changed I wonder why this didn't happen in the regular xterm?

Neil

Well, I seemed to have success with this in the 'rooterm' program in KDE. I typed in sudo su, then user password. typed in the password twice and got password changed, yay. Same with passwd root. got password changed I wonder why this didn't happen in the regular xterm?

Neil
You needed root permissions to change the password.

sudo gainroot (gives your root permissions, if you have becomeroot installed)

sudo su - (works also if you have KDE installed, sorry, I probably should have lead with that one )

Glad you got it sorted out!

You needed root permissions to change the password.

sudo gainroot (gives your root permissions, if you have becomeroot installed)

sudo su - (works also if you have KDE installed, sorry, I probably should have lead with that one )

Glad you got it sorted out!

Does this mean in a way that somehow kDE has an integrated 'becomeroot' in it ? It is true I do not have becomeroot installed, so apparently this was why the regular xterm does not work for me and 'rooterm' did. I should probably install becomeroot, eh? Neither program, however would work when I tried your command lines to fix the email. Thanks for the help PB. Much appreciated.

Neil

Tags
kde, kde35, passwords