Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Sorry for N800. It's a loser.

I have a 770, which broke after a week. Nokia uses legal tricks to avoid repairing it under the warranty. I'll have to repair it out of pocket. Anyway latest phone models from Nokia have been all buggy (I'm a prof. developer for mobile devices), as well as the ton of 770 that white-screen, so I have no reason to think N800 will be different.

I wanted really bad a N800, but now it look really lame compared to the iPhone. The fact that it runs MacOSX means that may be possible to run desktop MacOSX applications. Widespread addoption (look at iPod-fan base) will make that lots of developers will start write for MacOSX. Seems that Apple is combining the platforms it has, unlike Nokia that divide theirs.

The only problem I see is the low screen resolution. I can bet however that in next revisions this will be addressed. Also the user interface will certainly not be matched by Nokia, which really mis-manages their really big screen-estate.

So I can wait a year (till iPhone gets in EU) and hang on the 770 and the SE phone until then. And at that point drop one device out of my pocket

Hurray!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
The fact that it runs MacOSX means that may be possible to run desktop MacOSX applications. Widespread addoption (look at iPod-fan base) will make that lots of developers will start write for MacOSX. Seems that Apple is combining the platforms it has, unlike Nokia that divide theirs.
You'll be sorely disappointed, as it's been stated that Apple will not be allowing third-party development on the iPhone. And I bet "runs Mac OSX" is just marketing speak/hype, the truth being somewhat different although it's possible the limited APIs on the iPhone OS are close enough to make it indistinguishable from the desktop OS.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
And to cap it all, anyone that shells out $499/$599 (4GB/8GB) for the iPhone will learn to hate touchscreen phones - trust me, you can't appreciate how bad an idea they are until you own one, as I sadly do.
I agree with almost everything, except that: I happen to own a Sony Ericsson P910 touchscreen smartphone and I definitely do not dislike it. I even took the hardware keyboard off because it was too much hassle.

That said, I don't especially love touchscreen phones either; it just works.

Now, just to finish this off in the right sentiment: Apple's cellphone is a mediocre locked-down smartphone with a novel way of controlling it. Mind, "novel" is not necessarily synonymous to "good".

I think that n800 is a different product with different people targets.... you can compare the iphone, for example, with another phone like Nokia N95:
-WIFI
-UMTS 3G
-5MP CAMERA
-FM RADIO
-VIDEO CALLS (another camera in front)
-INTEGRATED GPS
-USB...

But the iPhone has made so much more innovations on the user interface, compared to the 770/N800. Why can't I read my newspaper articles on the 770's browser in portrait mode??? Reading very wide columns is useless, thus I am always reading it in a small width column of only 480 pixels high (see link below). This effectively criples the nice 800 px wide diplay in half, thus I could just as well use the Iphone in 480px portrait mode to read it. And since it is a fully html solution, there's no application porting problem, except to workout the offline part, but i think the safari browser will allow a file://... url .

For info, my daily newspaper is my killer app for the 770! See my page at xs4all.nl: nokia 770 newspaper reading.
or only view the picture with landscape mode columns I'm forced to read:
770 newspaper columns.png

I also expect to ditch my 770 + SE phone combo for the iPhone when it comes out.

The hostility here about the 800 and the sudden leaping on the iphone as some kind of justification for it is hilarious!

The 800 is better than the 770, as an internet tablet, which we're often reminded is WHAT IT IS. The browsing experience is much smoother and faster. The internal upgrades will obviously offer opportunities for further expansions into other uses. The fact that people here feel "left behind" is sad, and perhaps because this forum is my first real contact with "the open source community" I shouldn't be surprised at some of the outbursts, but I am.

The iphone looks lovely - all apple products do. Battery life is something I'd be concerned about, having had an ipod for two years. It's bad enough your music running out in the middle of a train or plane ride without it meaning that you can't make that important phone call when you get there....

Also, even as a consumer/end user non programmer/developer, my over-riding impression of apple stuff is that they don't like you to add programs, hardware, anything to it - they like selling you a closed system with occassion software intergated updates. I would have thought that aspect alone would have kept many posters here on the 800 "side".

I think the biggest effect the iphone will have is on sales of ipods anyway!

Me persoanlly, I'm sick of my ipod battery draining so fast, can't be bothered to open it up and replace it (will probably become a removable hard drive backup for me now) - was going to look at getting a new one, but will get a couple of 4mg cards for the 800 and put music on that instead.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
Sorry for N800. It's a loser.

I have a 770, which broke after a week. Nokia uses legal tricks to avoid repairing it under the warranty. I'll have to repair it out of pocket. Anyway latest phone models from Nokia have been all buggy (I'm a prof. developer for mobile devices), as well as the ton of 770 that white-screen, so I have no reason to think N800 will be different.

I wanted really bad a N800, but now it look really lame compared to the iPhone. The fact that it runs MacOSX means that may be possible to run desktop MacOSX applications. Widespread addoption (look at iPod-fan base) will make that lots of developers will start write for MacOSX. Seems that Apple is combining the platforms it has, unlike Nokia that divide theirs.

The only problem I see is the low screen resolution. I can bet however that in next revisions this will be addressed. Also the user interface will certainly not be matched by Nokia, which really mis-manages their really big screen-estate.

So I can wait a year (till iPhone gets in EU) and hang on the 770 and the SE phone until then. And at that point drop one device out of my pocket

Hurray!
Hard to take such a rant seriously. Nokia products aren't perfect, but they're not the crap you allege, either. If they were, the company wouldn't have over 40% global market share.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
But the iPhone has made so much more innovations on the user interface, compared to the 770/N800. Why can't I read my newspaper articles on the 770's browser in portrait mode???
I also expect to ditch my 770 + SE phone combo for the iPhone when it comes out.
That must be one hell of a newspaper for you to ditch a fantastic high resolution display in preference to a much lower resolution device simply because your favourite newspapers website doesn't format it's pages properly and they format better on the low res device.

While I admit a portrait mode for the N800 would be useful (as indeed 180 degree rotation would be useful for lefties, though portrait is probably more effort) I'm not sure I'd ditch the 770/N800 for an expensive and compromised phone/browser combo simply because the iPhone's lower resolution display means it doesn't have such a large right hand border due to the poorly formatted written pages of your newpaper website. Bizarre.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-10 at 16:07.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Exeter, UK
I love the smell of an OS holy war in the morning. Smells like... geekery.

Tell you what, though, the accelerometer in the iPhone to tell what orientation it's at - that's a neat idea. Now someone's gonna tell me there's one in the 770 and, like the mic, I just didn't know it was there?

.. simply because your favourite newspapers website doesn't format it's pages properly and they format better ..
I format those pages myself with a custom css file. The resulting columns then match the format (width, type, size) of a real newspaper, thus the articles are as easily to read as expected. And I'm entirely satisfied with this, such that I always have my 770 with me.

But for other applications such as email, rss and calendering the 770's performance sucks. The only default application that works ok for me is not from Nokia but Opera.

I still like my 770, but I'm not going to get a N800 if it's internet applications remain crippled. The iPhone will not do everything right either, but Apple seems to understand that the key internet application is not only browsing, but also email.