have you tried the rescue initrd + meego kernel as posted above and try fixing from pc after the emmc appears as a device in your pc ? just try that before declaring the emmc dead...

I flashed the phone before with no problems, following the same procedure as on maemo wiki. Something is corrupted. The fact that if I delete the files thru xterm I get an error with access denied message. If I delete thru the File Browser- it shows that it deleted it but after reboot the file is still there.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
dude i had a similar problem with the same error but i followed these instructions n i was able to flash emmc...

flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f

change kernel with
flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin' --flash-only=kernel -f

Restore emmc with vanilla
flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin' -f -R

hope it works for you

The Following User Says Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post:
Tnx for the help guys, but the phone already on its way to Alabama repair center, because my warranty expires within a month and I did not want to wait-. Will let you know what Nokians think about this problem.
Also I did try before flashing the older image with older emmc with same result.

New replacement phone is on its way from Alabama. Or refurb- will see.

Ive got brand new shiny phone, initially I wanted to sell it and get android based phone... Turned out I am still with Maemo, even its EOL.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I am now having the same problem, I had the problem this morning with Flasher-3.5 which the Nokia Rep had no idea what that was when I talked to him. He told me to use Ovi suite, and I just found out that doesn't work either. I'm gonna call tomorrow and hopefully they'll send me a replacement. And since Maemo is EOL, it's time for me to go to Android, cause Nokia's future with Meego doesn't look as fun as Maemo.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
wait a second, what I understand from your description is that you started maemo in between flashing the fiasco image and the emmc image...

what you should do is turn of the n900 , slide open the keyboard , press and hold "u" ,plug the usb cable in your n900 and in your pc .

now in the command prompt..

change the current directory to where flasher-3.5 is then :

flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM -f

after that's done...

flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

thats all...
Hi Friends,

New N900 user here, just bought my device this Monday. I recently got hooked into Linux early this year so I found this device very interesting and I'm enjoying it so far.

Following the wiki guide here: https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware as well as the summarized version above as my quick-reference guide, I have verified that the procedure works.

Just one question: the wiki procedure stated that, if you are to flash the eMMC (the 32GB internal storage) as well as the OS itself (rootfs), first should be EMMC first and then the OS. (direct link here: https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_...MC_in_the_N900):

When flashing the eMMC content, always flash the eMMC/VANILLA image first, and then flash the FIASCO/Rootfs image. Do not boot up the device between the two i.e do NOT use the -R parameter at the end! Rationale: on accidental booting in between the 2 flash processes, the sequence formerly suggested (rootfs first) will result in a broken system. The sequence "eMMC first, then rootfs" is checked back with Nokia affiliates and is proven to work. The former advice on tablets-dev.nokia.com was not based on any facts for the recent eMMC VANILLA image. It's fixed now and in line with this wiki
because...

...flashing eMMC will delete the /opt directory, so you *always* need to reflash your rootfs (the COMBINED image) after flashing eMMC (VANILLA img)
However, the way the instructions on the wiki are presented makes it seem like it should be the other way around, i.e. OS first and then eMMC. Likewise, I've been reading up a lot of threads about flashing in this forum and most of the advices are pretty similar (OS first before eMMC). I just wanted to confirm which is which?

On my part though, here are the order of steps taken:

1. Flashed the OS (rootfs) via the "combined" image/file (I removed/did not include the "-R" option of the command)
2. Flashed the eMMC (the 32 GB storage) via the "Vaniila eMMC" image/file (I removed/did not include the "-R" option of the command)
3. Flashed the OS again as per the disclaimer/note. (I added the "-R" option of the command)

Note:

1. I used a Linux OS (Ubuntu 10.04) since I'm getting hooked to Linux.
2. I read up on a lot of posts before I actually did this, to ensure I had an understanding of common problems encountered by other users and tried to research based on their experience before I tried this to my device.
3. One common problem experienced with flashing, based on what I've read, is something similar to this (based here: http://forums.internettablettalk.com...3&postcount=17):

Originally Posted by wakkamis View Post
Didnt want to start a new thread so I'll post here for now.

Seems I can flash the "RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin"
image just fine. Then I get to installing the emmc and the last line tells me "Suitable USB device not found, waiting." Then nothing happens.
Not sure if this will help, but I seemed to have experienced this too (Terminal/command line is just stuck at 'suitable USB device not found'). My phone's keyboard slider was open and I closed it, and then the flashing continued. Or it could be my imagination and I was just impatient and it just incidentally continued as it was supposed to, perhaps I just had the impression that my closing the slider keyboard had anything to do with it. Just wanted to share.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2010-12-29 at 02:28.

Hello,

Twice I also have the read-only system file (30) problem with eMMC when trying to delete files from the MyDocs folder, or copy files to it, either from the external card or from PC.

The first time I had the problem, I reflash both the OS and the EMMC and things were back to normal. That time I was copying some movies from the external memory card using Midnight Commander when the N900 froze. I rebooted the phone and could neither delete the unfinished file nor any other file from the eMMC.

The problem gone a little while and now it comes back, and I can't remember what I did that cause the MyDocs to become read only. But I am sure it is not the unfinished file copying problem. Also, I don't use torrent download on the N900, not even install torrent client on it, so that cause can be ruled out safely.

Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
....I will assume maemo still boots
try unmounting the partition , then mounting it again with rw option
in x-terminal as root :
umount /home/user/MyDocs
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs -o rw
I tried the above advice by ivyking, but seems nothing wrong there, umount OK, remount OK. Still, "Unable to continue, read-only folder Documents" when deleting via the builtin File Manager, or "read-only file system (30)" when deleting via Midnight Commander.

Even, when I change the camera app to use internal memory instead of the external one, I cannot take picture because the app cannot write to the internal memory.

The MyDocs partition is not Windows filesystem, so fixdisk or scandisk cannot help.

Reflashing is not a big deal, having to reinstall everything back is doable, but the problem will be back sometimes after reflashing because we haven't figured out the cause of it.

Could anyone provide a proper cure instead of just reflashing, which as many others have faced: not always possible?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try fsck after unmounting the partition. First find out the partition to check
Code:
mount
This will list every mounted partition and folder. Identify the partition mounted at /home/user/MyDocs, may be /dev/mmcblk0p1, the default.
Unmount the partition
Code:
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1 #OrYourPartitonHere
Check the file system
Code:
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
Fsck should identify the file system type.
Then, if everything goes well, mount it back to its place
Code:
mount /home/user/MyDocs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post: